• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Sure, a federated model would help streamline functionality (and therefore some cost) but it is not like these organisations aren't already running quite lean. People keep sprouting the size of RA headcount but that headcount isn't all corporate fat cats in suits. Plenty of people wearing tracksuits carrying whistles are included in that number.

In my experience as an ex-CEO (main focus was restructuring organisations for greater growth and profitability), and having a reasonable idea of the revenue type and make up for RA's revenue and its core tasks, and ditto re the local RUs, I consider that the following Aust-wide pre-COVID-19 headcount:

- 147 heads in RA and
~ 50-60 heads in each RU

ie, a total of around 350+ plus across the Aust pro code (and that does not include players), is way OTT and full of masked task-based or functional redundancy.

Removing unnecessary code-wide duplication, using best-in-class technology, and a tough centralised rationalisation of all functions, ~ 200 heads could be removed from that mix, and no one would really notice. Then on top I bet there are activity-based or 'habitual' overheads (not people heads) such as 'Corporate Expenses' that could be significantly reduced as well.

Whether you like my analysis or not, I guarantee the new RA Chair will, out of sheer necessity, have to address these very same headcount and cost issues across the code as a whole. Indeed, he has already said as much in a general sense.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
In my experience as an ex-CEO (main focus was restructuring organisations for greater growth and profitability), and having a reasonable idea of the revenue type and make up for RA's revenue and its core tasks, and ditto re the local RUs, I consider that the following Aust-wide pre-COVID-19 headcount:

- 147 heads in RA and
~ 50-60 heads in each RU

ie, a total of around 350+ plus across the Aust pro code (and that does not include players), is way OTT and full of masked task-based or functional redundancy.

Removing unnecessary code-wide duplication, using best-in-class technology, and a tough centralised rationalisation of all functions, ~ 200 heads could be removed from that mix, and no one would really notice. Then on top I bet there are activity-based or 'habitual' overheads (not people heads) such as 'Corporate Expenses' that could be significantly reduced as well.

Whether you like my analysis or not, I guarantee the new RA Chair will, out of sheer necessity, have to address these very same headcount and cost issues across the code as a whole. Indeed, he has already said as much in a general sense.

There is now way in hell QRU employed 50-60 people pre COVID - would like to be half of that number.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just a sideways btw: if Ryan's services were provided by his own incorporated services company that employed him, and he provided his services to the QRU (or others) via it, then he could obtain many of the COVID-driven 'subsidy' benefits both the QLD and national governments have been dispensing, incl JobKeeper, far more so in $ benefits terms than if he was an employee. Indeed the total $ benefits to an individual contractor via the aforementioned structure far exceed those obtainable via a straight, direct employment arrangement.
Yep just need an ABN to qualify...

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guarantee the new RA Chair will, out of sheer necessity, have to address these very same headcount and cost issues across the code as a whole. Indeed, he has already said as much in a general sense.

And maybe that is his angle against a federated model. Tell the states that they cant afford the grants.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Before we talk about the amount of employees the question needs to be asked what defines the employees in the counts?

Game day staff that work 5hrs a week? Full time staff?

We also have to be cautious for what we ask for, we complain about the amount of staff but then equally complain about the lack of development officers, the lack of marketing, the lack of game day engagement.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Before we talk about the amount of employees the question needs to be asked what defines the employees in the counts?

We also have to be cautious for what we ask for, we complain about the amount of staff but then equally complain about the lack of development officers, the lack of marketing, the lack of game day engagement.

yeah I think this is where the issue sort of lies within the division of RA to State Unions. Who should be in charge of what?

Should the Reds/QRU be in charge of sending development officers all over our state or should our national union?
Maybe the role of our Super rugby teams alter so that they just look after the club itself, i.e. it's pathways, players and performance and we see RA administer a large portion of the community game to streamline those funding channells?

I am a bit young to know but was the QRU ever separated from Reds?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

FTE equivalents as per the financials

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
yeah I think this is where the issue sort of lies within the division of RA to State Unions. Who should be in charge of what?

Should the Reds/QRU be in charge of sending development officers all over our state or should our national union?
Maybe the role of our Super rugby teams alter so that they just look after the club itself, i.e. it's pathways, players and performance and we see RA administer a large portion of the community game to streamline those funding channells?

I fully support RA being responsible for the bulk of the scouting and development officers, that is pretty much the kiwi model isn't it? The NZRU provide those resources and clubs utilize them.

I remember back in the 2000s there was the National Talent Squad which I'm pretty sure was an ARU funded training and development program for players identified as possible future Wallabies or something like that. For players identified in Brisbane they trained out of Ballymore and used those facilities.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

The QRU is responsible for running the game in QLD not the ARU.

No matter how many times it is denied by outsiders, the QRU has consistently and repeatedly insisted that the "Reds" ie. the QLD team is the representative team of the QRU. Why on earth would they be separated?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The QRU is responsible for running the game in QLD not the ARU.

No matter how many times it is denied by outsiders, the QRU has consistently and repeatedly insisted that the "Reds" ie. the QLD team is the representative team of the QRU. Why on earth would they be separated?

Yes currently, however there has been discussion transitioning from a federated model to a one management model.