• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Ah yes, the three amigos. Beale, Cooper and O'Connor. Arguably the three most gifted backs of the last decade, but each with serious flaws that meant none of the three ever achieved quite the heights their raw talent should have led them to.
Love 'em or hate 'em, (and there's plenty of both on GAGR), they provide serious colour to our game and thousands of hours of discussion.
Go well, Kurtley

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Of those three, I reckon O'Connor could have, should have, been the best. Cooper was just too outrageous in his approach (fantastic when it worked, tragic when it didn't), Beale was wonderful in many ways, but his defence was so iffy, and he flew solo a lot, whereas JOC (James O'Connor) had most of what those two had, plus he had good defence and has the ability to create ensemble teamwork.

If only.......

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Just thinking about the Tahs dismal display for the start of this season, and what looked like a really poor attitude, and I wondered just what effect the loss of so many senior players has had on the team.

Watching the youngsters Bell, Harrison, Ramm and Nawaganitawase has been really inspiring, and I can't wait to see the likes of Harris, Tizzano and Tafa get a start, however these youngsters need mentors and leadership. We have lost Kepu, Phipps, Foley and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), all of whom were in the squad that won the 2014 title, and while we all have varying opinions of their ability of players, I think we underestimate the leadership and culture that comes from these guys with their experience, and the knowledge of what it takes to win.

We now only have Beale, hardly leadership material, and Hooper, who as immediate past captain you would expect to be stepping back somewhat to give Simmons space, from that 2014 side. Simmons, while I'm sure he's a lovely bloke with lots of knowledge, is hardly a 'follow me out of the trenches' kind of guy. The guys who should be stepping up are those with three or four years of Super rugby under their belt, like Tom Robbo, Holloway, Dempsey, Gordon etc, but I don't see it.

Just my thoughts

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some AirBnBs in Hobbiton have higher ceilings than Clark. The best thing he's ever done is get kicked in the face by that Saffa to earn a red card.

That is pretty harsh and unfair. I think he's better than Newsome and very consistent. He's a good defender and he's pretty fast (that time he chased down Rieko Ioane).

He just isn't going to be a superstar.

Isaac Lucas could very easily be a Wallaby in the next few years. He was one of the best players in our best under 20s squad for a long time.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
That is pretty harsh and unfair. I think he's better than Newsome and very consistent. He's a good defender and he's pretty fast (that time he chased down Rieko Ioane).

Isaac Lucas could very easily be a Wallaby in the next few years. He was one of the best players in our best under 20s squad for a long time.

Excuse me using a FoxSports link, but:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/rugby/super-rugby/the-hit-of-2019!728274

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
His ceiling is a lot higher than Newsome or Clark in my opinion. I wouldn't be rolling out a huge offer for him but I'd be very happy to sign him.

But is he a winger? I thought he was a quite small 15 or a 10, so as Beale's replacement is the only viable spot and I think alphabet will be there anyway (if he can learn to tackle)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But is he a winger? I thought he was a quite small 15 or a 10, so as Beale's replacement is the only viable spot and I think alphabet will be there anyway (if he can learn to tackle)

No, he's not a winger. He has played most backline positions at Qld Premier grade level very well though.

15, 10 or 12 would be his main options.

He'd improve our squad for sure and is more likely to end up a Wallaby than most of the players he'd be competing with.

As I said, I wouldn't be chasing him hard but I'd certainly be interested in signing him. He'd be the lowest priority of the three though. Lock is clearly a position of need.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
You need Rodda but not as badly as the Rebels, and the Brumbies have Douglas, Enever and Neville coming off contract which frees up $$

Going to be a tustle!

Side bonus, Douglas, Enever and Neville also potentially available.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

For some reason you've long been a supporter of both these players, but let's be honest- it's pretty disappointing that they're both considered Waratah starters.

The contrasting path that both these players have taken is interesting though;

- Clark was the schoolboy star whose pace and athleticism made him stand out. Put him in the top level though and it's pretty obvious he never developed the breadth of skills to excel- he's not the most athletic guy on the field anymore.

- Newsome though actually developed his craft at club level and has a rounded skillset, but probably just isn't athletic enough to really cut it.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Both Clark and Newsome are decent but not outstanding, and if they were going to be Wallaby greats, we'd have noticed by now.

But Lucas is not a winger so the point is moot. Lucas could take Beale's place at fullback and the Tahs would have change left over. Plus, it's not like our 10 and 12 are certain long-term options. I think he's definitely worth signing.

Rodda is definitely what the Tahs need. Hockings is maybe a stronger option than Staniforth and McCauley. I say the Tahs should sign them all.