• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Penney has said he doesn't want to be a vulture over the Reds misfortune, so I'd suggest they would have to come, he won't chase them.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
New contracts have been frozen anyway.

Plus - it's not just the Tahs, RA would need to be a signatory of the deal also. The same RA who needed the player pay cut deal done, the same deal these 3 refused to follow. The same 3 who refused to heed Scott Johnson and Dave Rennies pleas to not bail.

They will all go to Japan and we may see Rodda on a new RA/Super Rugby contract for 2021, but most likely 2022.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
New contracts have been frozen anyway.

Plus - it's not just the Tahs, RA would need to be a signatory of the deal also. The same RA who needed the player pay cut deal done, the same deal these 3 refused to follow. The same 3 who refused to heed Scott Johnson and Dave Rennies pleas to not bail.

They will all go to Japan and we may see Rodda on a new RA/Super Rugby contract for 2021, but most likely 2022.
It seems like you're on the money
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/05/23/super-rugby-hockings-lucas-rodda-release

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For some reason you've long been a supporter of both these players, but let's be honest- it's pretty disappointing that they're both considered Waratah starters.

I have supported them. I think they're solid players and are good to have in the squad. I agree though that if too many players who are just solid are making our matchday 23, you're never going to compete at Super Rugby level. The competition is too strong.

In light of discussions about whether it was worth signing Isaac Lucas they seemed relevant as they are players making our machday 23 and often starting XV even if they don't play exactly the same positions.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have supported them. I think they're solid players and are good to have in the squad. I agree though that if too many players who are just solid are making our matchday 23, you're never going to compete at Super Rugby level. The competition is too strong.

In light of discussions about whether it was worth signing Isaac Lucas they seemed relevant as they are players making our machday 23 and often starting XV even if they don't play exactly the same positions.
I don’t think Lucas would be a starter at any of the Super sides. At the Tahs he’s not as good a prospect at 10 as Harrison and at 15 he would be behind Beale and Maddocks. He’s no 12 for anyone thinking that. At this stage he’s a very good bench option that add flexibility to the selection table.

Hockings would be a shoe in for Tahs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don’t think Lucas would be a starter at any of the Super sides. At the Tahs he’s not as good a prospect at 10 as Harrison and at 15 he would be behind Beale and Maddocks. He’s no 12 for anyone thinking that. At this stage he’s a very good bench option that add flexibility to the selection table.

On the flipside though, he's 21. I expect that he'll definitely be of Super Rugby starting quality in the next couple of seasons and his peak is going to be very good.

As I've said in previous posts, he'd be the lowest priority of the 3 departing Reds players (although it seems like none of them could be available).

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The way things are panning out, I wouldn't be shocked if RA blocked these three from ever playing rugby in Australia ever again.
That's the feeling I got from Rob Clarke: “There is no avenue open to them in Australia at this time. We all have to face the consequences of our decisions in life, don’t we?"
Can't see them being available for the 'Tahs any time soon.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The way things are panning out, I wouldn't be shocked if RA blocked these three from ever playing rugby in Australia ever again.

Strongly doubt RA would be vindictive if they are playing well and wanted to come back after some time away. Dare say they have burned their bridges in Queensland however.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Didn't they get released from their RA contracts - not just QRU? Not sure they can play for another franchise.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
That's the feeling I got from Rob Clarke: “There is no avenue open to them in Australia at this time. We all have to face the consequences of our decisions in life, don’t we?"
Can't see them being available for the 'Tahs any time soon.

what does this quote mean? Is this restraint of trade or is he just saying that no one can pick them up because there is no money sort of thing?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Didn't they get released from their RA contracts - not just QRU? Not sure they can play for another franchise.

Essentially they needed to be released from both to be released from the Reds (and not be moving directly to another team).

The situation now would require a whole new contract. Obviously it would depend on RA's stance on the matter whether they'd be willing to entertain that. Sounds like they might not be willing to do so.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Also pretty sure there is a hiring freeze for the foreseeable future until more is known about future income and the cost of covid. Obviously they had money pledged towards those players, but they are still 'frozen out' regardless.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
what does this quote mean? Is this restraint of trade or is he just saying that no one can pick them up because there is no money sort of thing?

No restraint of trade, quite the opposite. The players exercised their right to rescind contracts - for Rodda it means both RA and Reds. Rodda was said to be interested in Brumbies which would require a new franchise contract + new RA contract. Neither could happen without big questions.

Not as clear cut but ditto the other two.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
@Derpus and @Getwithme sorry gents, I wasn't clear enough when I said "sometime away." My thoughts were after a season or two overseas not just a couple of weeks off. Agree Rob Clarke made it clear and this in part might be to ensure no precedence is set. I like the decisive action from RA.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How long was the pay-cut for? if they don't get a contract until the Japan season starts back up in November would they even be better off financially?

I'm starting to suspect they've just used this as a chance to jump off a sinking ship.