• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
On a side note - if we put aside any personal issues these players have with the Reds organisation, this incident further highlights the problems faced with the current 'sign them young' attitude that is all through Australian sports.

These players quite obviously have a fairly high regard for their skills and believe they can get more for their services. This mentality is likely inherit in most professional players who were identified at a young age and guided through a pathway, with financial incentives, to keep them committed to their cause. The notion that Isaac Lucas is worth more at this stage of his career than whatever the Reds are paying him totally blows my mind. But at the same time, I can see how he would see himself in that light, with the aid of his manager of course.

I don't know the answer to this but I've always had a problem when I read stories of high school prodigies being signed up at 15 years old. It's nothing overly new, I actually played with several NZ boys when I was 14 who had been signed by the Broncos and flown to Brisbane for training and schooling and this was quite a while ago. I think this Reds trio scenario is partially a reflection on that mentality in our sports whereby we create these beasts by giving them such a leg up.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Similarly - How old are Lucas and Hockings - 20.. .. thank fu$% i didn't have to make any 4 year commitments at the age of 20. I couldn't commit to Orient over Hotel LA after Footy that weekend.
Like most people i was just starting to work out how the world worked (still going 20 years later).

I think its a bit unfair to tie 19/20yr olds to 4 year commitments. Great for the reds. But i do think some flexibility is probably more realistic.

This isn't at all a statement regarding accepting pay cuts given the current climate (thats a whole other story)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Josh Flook and Kalani Thomas also added to the squad.

I guess saving money on the others meant we could bring more into the squad. Four scrumhalves in the squad though? Someone must be leaving.

I think Malolua has to leave this year given he is foreign capped.
Although in saying that, I would prefer retaining him over Sorovi, he has better composure and game control.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've harped on about this several times already but the halfback round-a-bout since Genia departed is a big reason why we haven't performed in my opinion, hard to get a forward pack firing when they've got a new general each week.

Frisby, Tuttle, Gale, Sorovi, Maloloua and McDermott have all shared the job in the last 5 seasons.

McDermott is heads and shoulders above the others at the moment and I hope they really commit to him.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I dunno, Maloloua has been solid over the last 12 months and it's a shame the QRU can't get some kind of exemption (or continue letting him take the foreign marquee spot) for him as he has come through the Queensland system.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I really like Maloloua and he would be my first choice backup but he's a glass cannon if memory serves me right. Has spent a lot of times on the sidelines with various injuries.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Why would you be so narrow minded not to look into this? You do know QRU only survives by the grants provided by RA.

You might disagree with the current leadership but it doesn't mean that the proposed model is wrong or not worth investigating.

And the ARU only gets its $$ from the players it supplies to the ARU.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
QRU and QLD need to think more of the benefit of the country. Factional infighting between the states is why we are in this mess. Last time I looked QLD was part of Australia. Novel idea country first???

Completely wrong. The QRU is there to ensure the game in QLD is healthy and thriving. When the player base is strong, QLD is strong.

People are so obsessed with the top 40 players in the state. I am more concerned about 25,000 men, women, girls and boys who play rugby in one form or another around the state.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
N
Completely wrong. The QRU is there to ensure the game in QLD is healthy and thriving. When the player base is strong, QLD is strong.

People are so obsessed with the top 40 players in the state. I am more concerned about 25,000 men, women, girls and boys who play rugby in one form or another around the state.

So keep the same attitude. With the same result makes sense. Go QLD stuff you Australian rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't know why people are surprised, this same attitude has been reguarly perpetuated throughout Australian Rugby for the past 25 years at all levels and across all states. There's a long list of individuals within Australian rugby who put their own self-interest and interests of their own club/organisations/state ahead of the collective group. It happens on a continual basis at all levels, and those who do attempt to change it with a nationally unified approach get undermined and attacked until they are forced out.

Rugby in Australia doesn't suffer because fans dont like the sport, it suffers because there are individuals across all levels who allow their own vested interest to undermine what benefits the collective group.. We joke about the white privileged males from Mosman filling out the positions of the board, but its only a joke because it is so bloody true. There is next to no diversification across the senior management of Australian Rugby, they rinse repeat the same individuals from the same background and peer groups and then expect a different outcome.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't know why people are surprised, this same attitude has been reguarly perpetuated throughout Australian Rugby for the past 25 years at all levels and across all states. There's a long list of individuals within Australian rugby who put their own self-interest and interests of their own club/organisations/state ahead of the collective group. It happens on a continual basis at all levels, and those who do attempt to change it with a nationally unified approach get undermined and attacked until they are forced out.

Rugby in Australia doesn't suffer because fans dont like the sport, it suffers because there are individuals across all levels who allow their own vested interest to undermine what benefits the collective group.. We joke about the white privileged males from Mosman filling out the positions of the board, but its only a joke because it is so bloody true. There is next to no diversification across the senior management of Australian Rugby, they rinse repeat the same individuals from the same background and peer groups and then expect a different outcome.
Couldn't agree more - but how do we fix it?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep and if we don’t break that attitude we just repeat the same results as Adam84 points out

Yeah look, hit the big issues first. This is a minnow against the Whale of NSWRU/SRU/RA issues. Focus on the big things, the rest will follow.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Queensland would be breaking ranks with the other states if they were to put a national approach before self-interest. Queensland isn’t the exception to the norm in looking after themselves first.