• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Western Force has agreed to an offer from Rugby Australia to play in a proposed one-off,
domestic-based competition this year.

Accepting the invitation, Force owner Dr Andrew Forrest AO reiterated his desire to see rugby return to a position of sporting prominence across the country.
“Put simply, I want what is best for rugby in Perth and in Australia and to ensure the game flourishes,” Dr Forrest said.
“My views on the mismanagement of the game under the previous Rugby Australia administration are well known. Change is imperative at the top for rugby to thrive long term.”
Dr Forrest had a long and constructive conversation with incoming RA Chairman Hamish McLennan, who acknowledged the anguish felt by Force fans and players in recent years.
“I am prepared to help out Rugby Australia and new Chair Hamish McLennan in a time of crisis, for the good of the sport.
“Rugby Australia cannot afford to miss this opportunity to restructure and reinvent every aspect of the game – its governance, cost structure, rules, competition construct, partnerships with broadcasters, commitment to grass roots and, most importantly, engagement with the fans.”
Dr Forrest stressed the Force agreement to join Australia’s other four premier rugby teams is for 2020 only.
“I developed and launched Global Rapid Rugby across the Asia Pacific region to prove how rugby can be played – fun for the players, fast moving, high scoring and always entertaining.
“The Australian sporting public deserves to see more of that style of rugby. A game which keeps up with the times and is not mired in a myriad of laws. A game which returns rugby to its former national prominence and international appeal. A game that will be embraced by the Asia Pacific region as relevant, culture strengthening and entertaining.
“Until I see evidence that reinvention is at the core of any strategic plan RA comes up with, it will be difficult to commit to a long-term investment.”
Dr Forrest also acknowledged a group of ex-Wallabies captains led by Simon Poidevin and Nick Farr-Jones.
“I am grateful for their guidance and determination to return rugby to its former glory,” Dr Forrest said.
If the proposed 2020 domestic-only competition gets the green light, the Western Force may have to relocate to the eastern seaboard in line with Western Australia’s strict border closure. Discussions with the WA Government would then continue around possible home games in Perth later this year.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
yes, it might only be NRC level player payments. Do they train? If so where? If half are from Sydney, if so you have to fly the others in from QLD, ACT, VIC, WA etc and put them up somewhere and give them a per diem etc. Over 6-8 weeks (as for the ARC in 2007) that is most definitely an expensive exercise.

Why not use the sevens boys as the core of the squad. All are based in Sydney. Then just bring in some tight five guys to fill any gaps. Has been discussed on a few podcasts recently??

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why not use the sevens boys as the core of the squad. All are based in Sydney. Then just bring in some tight five guys to fill any gaps. Has been discussed on a few podcasts recently??

Do you want 7s players preparing for a resumption of the World Sevens Series and Olympics next year shifting their training to XVs? Not sure it would be beneficial for them.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
My understanding is , Baa Baas is for this year only. Not a long term solution. Sun Wolf thing wasnt going to work.

Next year, who knows

I actually think it would be an interesting experiment. If it works out and assuming we actually have Super Rugby next season as it was originally intended. Being a single round robin of 13/14 games. I wouldn't mind seeing RA opening up the opportunity for someone to take the reins of a similar squad and have them play in GRR (again assuming that goes ahead next season) and then having the Super Rugby 4 joined by the Force, whatever the BaaBaas are known as in GRR and Fiji and Samoa to play in a revamped NRC featuring 10 games each set up so that the Super Rugby and GRR team play each other twice and each other from their respective competitions once.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty sure RA is the one helping out the Force not the other way around. I mean it's a synergistic relationship but RA could likely do a comp without the Force.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dr Forrest stressed the Force agreement to join Australia’s other four premier rugby teams is for 2020 only.
“I developed and launched Global Rapid Rugby across the Asia Pacific region to prove how rugby can be played – fun for the players, fast moving, high scoring and always entertaining.
“The Australian sporting public deserves to see more of that style of rugby. A game which keeps up with the times and is not mired in a myriad of laws. A game which returns rugby to its former national prominence and international appeal. A game that will be embraced by the Asia Pacific region as relevant, culture strengthening and entertaining.
“Until I see evidence that reinvention is at the core of any strategic plan RA comes up with, it will be difficult to commit to a long-term investment.”
And therein lies the problem with probably why Aus rugby will never really get into bed with Twiggy, he basically saying, you play the game to my rules or I will start my own sport!! We saw the something similar when Clive Palmer put cash into Gold Coast soccer team, when the rules didn't suit he pulled money out!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Rugby Australia is aiming to stage the new competition from July 3 through to September 19 in a round robin format, pending final discussions with broadcasters.

https://brumbies.rugby/news/2020/05/27/western-force-locked-in-for-vodafone-super-rugby-au

allt4.jpg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
And therein lies the problem with probably why Aus rugby will never really get into bed with Twiggy, he basically saying, you play the game to my rules or I will start my own sport!! We saw the something similar when Clive Palmer put cash into Gold Coast soccer team, when the rules didn't suit he pulled money out!

Anybody who thinks that Andrew Forrest is anything like Clive Palmer is making a very big mistake.........

He already has developed options for the Western Force when RA showed ZERO interest in doing anything other than having Perth as a feeder for the East Coast teams.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds in 2021 as at this stage none of us have clue what the rugby landscape is going to look like.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Anybody who thinks that Andrew Forrest is anything like Clive Palmer is making a very big mistake...

He already has developed options for the Western Force when RA showed ZERO interest in doing anything other than having Perth as a feeder for the East Coast teams.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds in 2021 as at this stage none of us have clue what the rugby landscape is going to look like.

The lack of engagement with Forrest - indeed the effective snubbing of him - was one of Clyne's gravest and most costly blunders, one of many of course. His quoted statements today are highly accurate, fair-to-the-facts, and relevant and, btw, who could blame him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
What’s the go with the Reds with respect to Anastacia’s border control, will they have to play out of Coffs Harbour or something?

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
Do you want 7s players preparing for a resumption of the World Sevens Series and Olympics next year shifting their training to XVs? Not sure it would be beneficial for them.

The podcast I mentioned stated the sevens program approached RA with the idea. Think it’s a great idea would love to see how they went. They are in the payroll might as well use them. Think a few super sides would be very nervous to come up against them especially the back lines.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just went to Google to find out, in the NRL they are allowed to train and play in the state with visiting teams having to adhere to strict biosecurity protocols, so I assume it will be the same.

They'll not just be testing temperatures but also checking the players' belongings for PEDs, anti-vax pamphlets and looking through their phones for videos of illegal firearms usage.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
They'll not just be testing temperatures but also checking the players' belongings for PEDs, anti-vax pamphlets and looking through their phones for videos of illegal firearms usage.
Without body language, its so hard to tell these days what is satire and what is real life.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was watching the sports news last night and Matthew Pavlich (ex-Fremantle AFL captain) said something along the lines of "yet another story only the NRL could come up with" when referring to the drugs problem that bloke from the Sharks has.

Status
Not open for further replies.