• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Anyone have any theories on how the Premier Comp will look over the next few years?

I think we'll find more Aussie talent staying onshore at their clubs considering the uncertainty surrounding some of the countries where they've been offering up 'semi-pro' contracts such as the USA and Italy. It should make the standard of play higher.

But at the same time, there may not be much of an international flair at some clubs. I don't know about others but over the past few years GPS have had some great players come across from NZ, England, France and the Pacific Islands. There might be a season or two where this is lacking, but hopefully returns to normal down the track.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Hearing reports that Souths Premier Grade trained as a squad on Saturday morning at Dutton Park and their colts training at Riverside Rugby club. I really hope this is untrue, as all it would take is something like this with restrictions still in place to ruin/delay further progression. I wonder what the punishment from the QRU is for getting caught? Surely docked points

Stop it... No one is getting points docked for that.

The official line is coaches cant sanction any training but they also can’t stop players coordinating groups of 10 players or less to meet for training in packs of 10. If the whole prem squad is broken up into clusters of 10 working on their own then no laws have been broken even with the coaches there.

Unless you got video footage of Souths breaking the law and happy to submit (snitch) then it will be business as usual IMO.

Keeno3

Frank Row (1)
Everyone can calm on down. This report is false. A group of Souths players, a legally permissible number might I add (not a "squad") and a number of whom live together, participated in a boot camp with a registered personal trainer. Not rugby training. Young athletes staying fit. Two police cars passed without even a passing interest given that the group was well under the legal limit. Not formally organised, not a club associated thing at all. Every club should probably consider encouraging their players to do this sort of thing, not just for their fitness but so they can catch up with their mates. I've seen a few Easts lads running around on their oval when I've passed it (clearly not in an organised training session) and I was happy to see it. I've heard of GPS guys on their oval similarly and am aware of their Facebook/Instagram posts. As long as they are doing the right thing by the law and the QRU directive, it should be encouraged. Our focus should be on looking forward to the comp getting going again and when all clubs can start properly training, including contact.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
The QRU need to grow a pair and state when the comp is starting and what format etc, enough hiding behind Annastacia's skirt. Take a leaf out of Peter V'landy's play book and get on with it.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The QRU need to grow a pair and state when the comp is starting and what format etc, enough hiding behind Annastacia's skirt. Take a leaf out of Peter V'landy's play book and get on with it.

I dare say Clubs have been given draft schedules. From my understanding there still needs to be a few details ironed i.e. how many weeks of full contact training RA & QRU will enforce on clubs before the season will commence.

I know for Sunshine Coast A Grade comp - 3 weeks of full contact training planned from 11th July with season proper running 1st August - 31st October.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I dare say Clubs have been given draft schedules. From my understanding there still needs to be a few details ironed i.e. how many weeks of full contact training RA & QRU will enforce on clubs before the season will commence.

I know for Sunshine Coast A Grade comp - 3 weeks of full contact training planned from 11th July with season proper running 1st August - 31st October.

I have heard this is the proposed model & timetable for QPR as well - I think 10 rounds and then 3 weeks of finals.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If it is 10 rounds then who you play twice will have a huge bearing on how high you finish up the ladder.

It could well provide for a bolter or two qualifying for finals footy - all good with that.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm most interested in the players that will potentially turn out. Samu Kerevi said (on the Rugby Nation podcast) that he would like to play club rugby as he is not required back to Suntory until Sept at the earliest. If he gets approval, I could see that a number of other high profile players might look to get involved.

It is not just that elite players but ones like Jayden Ngamanu, Con Foley or Scott Gale. What are those blokes doing with Japan season and US season not being played?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm most interested in the players that will potentially turn out. Samu Kerevi said (on the Rugby Nation podcast) that he would like to play club rugby as he is not required back to Suntory until Sept at the earliest. If he gets approval, I could see that a number of other high profile players might look to get involved.

It is not just that elite players but ones like Jayden Ngamanu, Con Foley or Scott Gale. What are those blokes doing with Japan season and US season not being played?
Any chance of the “Picone Three” having a run in QPR?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
PREMIER RUGBY DRAW

(Home team listed first)

Round One...August 1

Souths v Brothers, Sunnybank v Easts, GPS v Wests, Norths v UQ, Bond Uni (bye)

Round Two...August 8

Bond Uni v Sunnybank, Brothers v Norths, Wests v Easts, GPS v Souths, UQ (bye)

Round Three...August 15

Bond Uni v Norths, GPS v Brothers, UQ v Easts, Sunnybank v Souths, Wests (bye)

Round Four...August 22

Brothers v Bond Uni, Easts v GPS, Sunnybank v UQ, Norths v Wests, Souths (bye)

Round Five...August 29

Bond Uni v Easts, Wests v Brothers, GPS v Sunnybank, UQ v Souths, Norths (bye)

Round Six...September 5

Souths v Bond Uni, Easts v Norths, GPS v UQ, Wests v Sunnybank, Brothers (bye)

Round Seven...September 12

Brothers v UQ, Wests v Bond Uni, Souths v Easts, Norths v GPS, Sunnybank (bye)

Round Eight...September 19

Brothers v Souths, Easts v Sunnybank, Wests v GPS, UQ v Norths, Bond Uni (bye)

Round Nine...September 26

Sunnybank v Bond Uni, Norths v Brothers, Easts v Wests, Souths v GPS, UQ (bye)

Round 10...October 3

Souths v Norths, Bond Uni v GPS, Sunnybank v Brothers, UQ v Wests, Easts (bye)

Round 11...October 10

Bond Uni v UQ, Brothers v Easts, Norths v Sunnybank, Wests v Souths, GPS (bye)

Semi-finals: October 17

Preliminary final: October 24

Grand final: October 31