• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Would rather 3 games a week as opposed to 2 and a bye

Can we get the 10 former Wallaby skippers to suit up? They seem to think they can run the game better than the current admins, am sure they think similarly of the playing cohort.

Add in Justin Harrison, Brett Papworth, a few of the News journos and you've got a full side (coached by Alan Jones, obviously).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anybody who thinks that Andrew Forrest is anything like Clive Palmer is making a very big mistake...

He already has developed options for the Western Force when RA showed ZERO interest in doing anything other than having Perth as a feeder for the East Coast teams.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds in 2021 as at this stage none of us have clue what the rugby landscape is going to look like.

I not saying he a Clive Palmer clone or anything, but if he actually said whet that media release says, he is doing something similar. Does anyone seriously think that WR (World Rugby) should change laws of the game so that Twiggy puts in money?? I know he probably does some good stuff and he maybe helping Force which is good, but to suggest the laws have to be changed/simpified for him to be part of it moving forward, well I am afraid in my opinion he best just go back to starting his own comp with the Asian market where he sell his ore etc. And I knocking him for it, and think it not a bad comp , somewhere for semi pros to play etc, but next thing we will have CVC (who are putting in big money) etc saying oh no but we want these laws etc etc.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
Can we get the 10 former Wallaby skippers to suit up? They seem to think they can run the game better than the current admins, am sure they think similarly of the playing cohort.

Add in Justin Harrison, Brett Papworth, a few of the News journos and you've got a full side (coached by Alan Jones, obviously).

I presume u don’t like the sevens idea. Is that what your saying?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I presume u don’t like the sevens idea. Is that what your saying?

No, I was just making a joke.

I agree with Braveheart though. Don't mind a few Sevens players being involved, but what if we lose Mo Longbottom because Taniela Tupou breaks three of his ribs in a tackle? Some of the Sevens guys aren't built for 15s.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

I present to you - the Renegades XV

1. Moore
2. Kearns (c)
3. George Smith (been in a good paddock post retirement)
4. Sharpe
5. Harrison
6. McCall
7. Poidevin
8. Izack Rodda
9. Gregan
10. Lynagh (who will withdraw on match eve)
11. Campo
12. Papworth
13. Mortlock
14. Farr-Jones
15. Isaac Lucas

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is there any news on when/what will happen - if we'll ever see any rugby on these shores again? I hear the Force are on board if we can get something up and running.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Western Force has agreed to an offer from Rugby Australia to play in a proposed one-off,
domestic-based competition this year.

Accepting the invitation, Force owner Dr Andrew Forrest AO reiterated his desire to see rugby return to a position of sporting prominence across the country.
“Put simply, I want what is best for rugby in Perth and in Australia and to ensure the game flourishes,” Dr Forrest said.

“My views on the mismanagement of the game under the previous Rugby Australia administration are well known. Change is imperative at the top for rugby to thrive long term.”
Dr Forrest had a long and constructive conversation with incoming RA Chairman Hamish McLennan, who acknowledged the anguish felt by Force fans and players in recent years.
“I am prepared to help out Rugby Australia and new Chair Hamish McLennan in a time of crisis, for the good of the sport.
“Rugby Australia cannot afford to miss this opportunity to restructure and reinvent every aspect of the game – its governance, cost structure, rules, competition construct, partnerships with broadcasters, commitment to grass roots and, most importantly, engagement with the fans.”
Dr Forrest stressed the Force agreement to join Australia’s other four premier rugby teams is for 2020 only.
“I developed and launched Global Rapid Rugby across the Asia Pacific region to prove how rugby can be played – fun for the players, fast moving, high scoring and always entertaining.
“The Australian sporting public deserves to see more of that style of rugby. A game which keeps up with the times and is not mired in a myriad of laws. A game which returns rugby to its former national prominence and international appeal. A game that will be embraced by the Asia Pacific region as relevant, culture strengthening and entertaining.
“Until I see evidence that reinvention is at the core of any strategic plan RA comes up with, it will be difficult to commit to a long-term investment.”

I
Dr Forrest also acknowledged a group of ex-Wallabies captains led by Simon Poidevin and Nick Farr-Jones.
“I am grateful for their guidance and determination to return rugby to its former glory,” Dr Forrest said.
If the proposed 2020 domestic-only competition gets the green light, the Western Force may have to relocate to the eastern seaboard in line with Western Australia’s strict border closure. Discussions with the WA Government would then continue around possible home games in Perth later this year.

So I read this is Forrest not closed to something with RA but on his terms and more aligned to what looking to achieve with global rapid rugby - and equally see messaging from Hamish preparedness to entertain this.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

1. Moore
2. Kearns (c)
4. Sharpe
5. Harrison
6. McCall
7. Poidevin
8. Izack Rodda
9. Gregan
11. Campo
12. Papworth
13. Mortlock
14. Farr-Jones
15. Isaac Lucas

Lynagh wont withdraw until after the first play indicates the level of debacle.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So I read this is Forrest not closed to something with RA but on his terms and more aligned to what looking to achieve with global rapid rugby - and equally see messaging from Hamish preparedness to entertain this.

Rather than focussing on his comments re GRR, which have some relevance, the comments which RA should take note of are below. Noting that RA have control over every aspect he mentioned other than the laws (rule).

“Put simply, I want what is best for rugby in Perth and in Australia and to ensure the game flourishes,” Forrest said. “My views on the mismanagement of the game under the previous Rugby Australia administration are well known. Change is imperative at the top for rugby to thrive long-term.
Rugby Australia cannot afford to miss this opportunity to restructure and reinvent every aspect of the game – its governance, cost structure, rules, competition construct, partnerships with broadcasters, commitment to grassroots and most importantly, engagement with the fans.”
Forrest, however, made it clear this was a short-term agreement and that the Force would not commit to anything long-term just yet.
Until I see evidence that reinvention is at the core of any strategic plan RA comes up with, it will be difficult to commit to a long-term investment,” Forrest said.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As much as I think Twiggy can be a grandstanding wanker at times, I think he's bang on with that.

I would think that it would be difficult for any company or individual to enter into any agreement with RA until all of the above are addressed.

Change at the top
Governance
Cost Structure
Competition construct
Partnerships with broadcasters
Commitment to grass roots
Fan engagement

There's been no evidence thus far of any sign of reinvention or strategic plan

And it's not like he's the first person to nominate those issues either

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

1. Moore
2. Kearns (c)
4. Sharpe
5. Harrison
6. McCall
7. Poidevin
8. Izack Rodda
9. Gregan
11. Campo
12. Papworth
13. Mortlock
14. Farr-Jones
15. Isaac Lucas
WHO ARE THEY PLAYING GODDAMNIT, WHO IS THE OPPOSITION, I JUST CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER TO SEE THIS RUGBY FOOTBALL MATCGH

ahh.jpg

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
With regards to the rules - wouldn't it be worth looking at something like GRR rules if only for what replaces Super Rugby.

If you look at games from this year or last year in the exhibition, it still looks like rugby. The biggest difference is the power try which does encourage teams to try and break out from in their 22. It is not like players moving on to tests are going to not be able to revert to not having that rule and go back to kicking it out. Even now you still see teams hoof it when there is nothing on within their 22.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No because it's a total gimmick. Teams already try to score tries from their 22 because the defence usually have 2-3 players back.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rather than focussing on his comments re GRR, which have some relevance, the comments which RA should take note of are below. Noting that RA have control over every aspect he mentioned other than the laws (rule).

“Put simply, I want what is best for rugby in Perth and in Australia and to ensure the game flourishes,” Forrest said. “My views on the mismanagement of the game under the previous Rugby Australia administration are well known. Change is imperative at the top for rugby to thrive long-term.
Rugby Australia cannot afford to miss this opportunity to restructure and reinvent every aspect of the game – its governance, cost structure, rules, competition construct, partnerships with broadcasters, commitment to grassroots and most importantly, engagement with the fans.”
Forrest, however, made it clear this was a short-term agreement and that the Force would not commit to anything long-term just yet.
Until I see evidence that reinvention is at the core of any strategic plan RA comes up with, it will be difficult to commit to a long-term investment,” Forrest said.

Fully understand the dialogue but RA in dire position and to be frank nothing Forest proposing that challenging for me but yes for traditionalists and indeed for RA will be.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would think that it would be difficult for any company or individual to enter into any agreement with RA until all of the above are addressed.

Change at the top
Governance
Cost Structure
Competition construct
Partnerships with broadcasters
Commitment to grass roots
Fan engagement

There's been no evidence thus far of any sign of reinvention or strategic plan

And it's not like he's the first person to nominate those issues either
And why most of us on here don’t have a problem with any of twiggys demands! As most of us been asking for same things for a very long time...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
For what its worth this is the model I would adopt and it keeps a small part of Super Rugby.

Australia 1
NZ 2
SA 2
PIN’s 1
ANG 1
Japan 1

Each nation play its own local domestic competition. The winner of each of the above nations winner gets a place with NZ & SA 2 places.

Played on a rotation basic, between Aus, NZ, SA, Jap & ANG, these 8 teams met in one country for a knock competition,
Round 1, 4 games involving 8 teams, leaving 4
Round 2, 2 games involving 4 teams.
Round 3, Losers of the round two games to play off for third place.
Round 4, Winners of round two games play off for top spot.

In one country in 3 weeks could almost do a bubble like now.

You could also add that the host nation gets 2 teams, this would increase the chances of them going further and increase the crowds to watch the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.