• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
WHO ARE THEY PLAYING GODDAMNIT, WHO IS THE OPPOSITION, I JUST CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER TO SEE THIS RUGBY FOOTBALL MATCGH

ahh.jpg

Pit them against the All Time Crim XV. Geez I’d be torn watching that match.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whats wrong with a gimmick if it increases entertainment without changing the way the game is played?

Did it increase entertainment? The extra 2 points doesn't increase entertainment and I already think teams try to score tries from their 22 when appropriate. Look if you want to make the game more attractive there's more obvious stuff like just speeding up time when the ball is dead, less scrum resets, stopping the clock more and shot clocks on penalty/conversion kicks.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Inviting the Force back is like sleeping with your ex GF/BF, and they spend the whole time in bed telling you how much better their new partner is!

I just don’t know why RA would do this ... they have stand there whilst Twiggy slaps them about the face.

And then next year RA have to job of announcing they are out again.

Screw that for a joke.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pit them against the All Time Crim XV.
Bit of a pickle here. The Alltime Crim 1st XV Selectors have just informed me that messrs Gregan, NFJ and G.Smith will NOT be released for ANY extra-curricular "Renegades" fixture as they are contractually obligated to The Alltime Crim 1st XV. Forever.

Page 826 of the contractual fineprint reveals the The Alltime Crim 1st XV players and staff contractual period runs from, and I quote, "when I fucking say so until such a time as the sun collides with the bloody fucken earth."

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The podcast I mentioned stated the sevens program approached RA with the idea. Think it’s a great idea would love to see how they went. They are in the payroll might as well use them. Think a few super sides would be very nervous to come up against them especially the back lines.
Which podcast?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Inviting the Force back is like sleeping with your ex GF/BF, and they spend the whole time in bed telling you how much better their new partner is!

I just don’t know why RA would do this . they have stand there whilst Twiggy slaps them about the face.
Mild slap and tickle.

RA like a bit of rough, because they have to. Exhibit A: NewsCorp… and they keep going back for more.

If that ain't battered wife syndrome, what is?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
was contemplating venturing off to the Avatar Bet thread to wager that this thread will reach 1,000 pages and Super Rugby will still be a thing... but after the last fortnight wouldn't even wager that this thing will make it to the 900-page mark.
Plus … you're already booked :D

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes indeed. At least now we have a billionaire with us as a fellow voice in the wilderness.:)
And someone with better bargaining chip to get RA to listen as they certainly seem to have been tone deaf to the fans leaving super rugby in droves over the last five years. Hopefully twiggy can use his bargaining power to force change as clearly win win for both parties if can collaborate on single competition but equally RA need to appreciate they have a hardened and shrewd negotiator with twiggy who equally with ego involved will walk away and do rapid rugby if RA don’t play ball.

The dire states of oz rugby pro wise means RA now almost have no choice but be prepared to consider twiggy’s demands which are generally the same demands us fans have been making without of course the billions behind us to have any sway.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It's been two years, less two days, since you took your love away …

Nothing can take away these blues, because nothing compares … nothing compares … to you

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
yes, it might only be NRC level player payments. Do they train? If so where? If half are from Sydney, if so you have to fly the others in from QLD, ACT, VIC, WA etc and put them up somewhere and give them a per diem etc. Over 6-8 weeks (as for the ARC in 2007) that is most definitely an expensive exercise.

Ok, lets say put them up at Narrabeen Sports academy. Grounds to train + catered accommodation

Say squad of 35 , lets assume 10 already Sydney based and don't need accommodating.

I am guessing $200/day would feed and board a player on a long term arrangement. = 35K /week for 8 weeks = $280K

Plus some airfares and match payments , say at 1k / match. Probably looking around $500K

A small fraction of the cost of any other franchise. Less than the cost of 1 high profile player.

Status
Not open for further replies.