• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NZ hosted the tournament purely in Auckland. If it was in Australia it would go to a specific city - Sydney or Brisbane.

They held matches at North Harbour and Counties home grounds and a couple at Eden Park.

Sydney could easily offer up Concord and Leichardt oval. Brisbane could use Ballymore and Bond? (some QLDer help me)

I came up with these logistics in 3 minutes.

Edit: To kiap's point I'm staggered that the home nation has to fund it and not WR (World Rugby). How does the Italian union, Argentinean union or even the Georgian union able to afford it but some reason RA can't!?

I’m just hypothesising in response to your question, don’t have to be a smart ass

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The other thing to note about bidding for WR (World Rugby) tournaments … from small (e.g. U20s), to medium (women's RWC), to big (men's RWC) … is it's a requirement (averaged over 8 years or something) for maintaining "extra vote" status with World Rugby.

This means that unions not planning on bidding for the RWC (an expensive journey in itself) might be happier bidding (and hosting) something cheaper just to tick the box.

I think Australia fancies RWC bids (subsidized by governments, natch) with an eye on getting some cash from it.

COX'S ROUTE

Frank Nicholson (4)
The support in Sydney would be very poor.

Brisbane/Gold Coast might work better.

Central west NSW - Say Mudgee, Bathurst , Orange would work as lots of quality Venues that would work with smaller crowds. Think country people would support. Be a good think if RA pushed that initiative.

Cant see Perth/WA getting good support either. Cant see many of the Rugby fans on the East coast going over for it. Where as Sydney people might travel to the Gold Coast or to Central west NSW

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Who will be making the decision here?

As an aside, has Bridgit McKenzie ponied up rugby union's money yet? … Well, other than Adelaide where the old boys from Prince Alfred College got their much-needed half million to keep the wolves from the door of their proud old club.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
World U20 Championship cancelled

Given: (a) Sanzaar are looking at a hub to play TRC tests late this year, and (b) the WR (World Rugby) U20s are not recoverable for 2020…

I wonder if an Oceania /Sanzaar U20 comp on the Gold Coast could be resurrected in a hub at Bond Uni to be played at the same time as the Test matches.

Invite SA and Arg -- both in the Top 4 at the World Juniors in 2019 -- plus finalists Junior Wobs, plus Baby Blacks.
  1. Probably the only chance for U20 reps gefore 2020 expires.
  2. Could be a defacto World U20 titile. ;)
  3. RA are both (i) skint, and (ii) looking for extra TV content to package up and flog.
  4. Relatively low cost upfront for RA, per point 3 (i) above, being played at a home venue.
Might be hurdles where the invited unions are also too skint (Argies perhaps).

Or make it the "Oceania U20s" with Fiiji/Samoa possibly as 3rd/4th team if WR (World Rugby) comes to the Oceania Rugby party with a few bucks.

Thoughts?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Given: (a) Sanzaar are looking at a hub to play TRC tests late this year, and (b) the WR (World Rugby) U20s are not recoverable for 2020…

I wonder if an Oceania /Sanzaar U20 comp on the Gold Coast could be resurrected in a hub at Bond Uni to be played at the same time as the Test matches.

Invite SA and Arg -- both in the Top 4 at the World Juniors in 2019 -- plus finalists Junior Wobs, plus Baby Blacks.
  3. RA are both (i) skint, and (ii) looking for extra TV content to package up and flog.
  4. Relatively low cost upfront for RA, per point 3 (i) above, being played at a home venue.

Or make it the "Oceania U20s" with Fiiji/Samoa possibly as 3rd/4th team if WR (World Rugby) comes to the Oceania Rugby party with a few bucks.

Thoughts?

Don't think non-Australian citizens from either SA or Argentina will get into Australia in the near to medium term.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^ So … no Rugby Championship this year?

Sure, it may not happen, but my post is predicated on The Rugby Championship being "hub" hosted in Australia as speculated … perhaps in Perth.

Those Sanzaar nations could send an U20 squad at the same time.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
The Aus and NZ u'20s could play the curtain raiser for the Bledisloe. Although I think the women's team is already scheduled for that. Make it a triple header!

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Thoughts?

The 2020 U20 Oceania Rugby Championship was cancelled a month or so ago. NZ also announced that there would be no NZ schoolboys team this year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^ So … no Rugby Championship this year?

Sure, it may not happen, but my post is predicated on The Rugby Championship being "hub" hosted in Australia as speculated … perhaps in Perth.

Those Sanzaar nations could send an U20 squad at the same time.

I think that NZ is the only country whose citizens will be likely to gain entry to Australia in 2020. Possibly some of the PI, but I wouldn't be as certain.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think that NZ is the only country whose citizens will be likely to gain entry to Australia in 2020. Possibly some of the PI, but I wouldn't be as certain.
Which PIs - Fiji/Samoa?

Even without them, the "Oceania U20s" has been played as just NZ v AUS before - a 2 test series.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Which PIs - Fiji/Samoa?

Even without them, the "Oceania U20s" has been played as just NZ v AUS before - a 2 test series.

Fiji and Vanuatu were the two countries which I had heard on the possibles list - coincidentally places where lots of Aussies like to guy on holidays.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just looking at some of the talent we could of had play this year.

1 Bell
2 Pollard
3 Tauakipulu
6 Kibble
7 Tizzano
8 Harris
10 Pasitoa
11 Nawaqanitawase
12 Walton
13 Petaia
14 Ralston
15 Gordon