• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia domestic rugby 2020

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Deserves own thread given mooted July 3/4 kickoff

So seems 4 oz super rugby sides + force

Pity could not get Sunwolves involved (like warriors based in Australia) as would have made 6 teams offering 3 games per week.

So assuming following nz model of 1 game on Saturday and one game on Sunday.

Assume would follow nz model of fly in fly out using charter flights but how would that work for force and any teams playing home games against the force as 4 hour flights probably kills idea of same day fly in - fly out charter flights

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wonder how if Force would meet at least Reds somewhere a little closer. there no crowds so shouldn't be big disadvantage, although it tough on players anyway.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
If we take a similar route to NZ in terms of FiFO why dont we play all the games just at one venue. Wouldn't it make it cheaper to run.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well I certainly look forward to a 6 team comp as I enjoy Sunwolves being part of oz conference and would welcome them with say a Fiji, Samoa and force as part of our 8 team ‘domestic comp’ in the future, but yes lets start in our 2020 covid world with this minus Fiji and Samoa

I definitely would sign up to kayo to watch this

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Any word on who will televise/stream? Is it Kayo by default?

Fox Sports/Kayo would still hold the rights, but (and I'm being a bit lazy here not confirming the specifics) I recall that SANZAAR and/or the broadcast partners have to all sign off on it first.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So time ticking - are Foxtel playing ball - are Sunwolves in or out - is a mooted barbarian team a possibility - so many questions at this point and not many answers - hopefully soon..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So force now confirmed as 5th team - tick

Broadcast deal discussion with Foxtel still happening - time ticking away there...

Sunwolves involvement still being discussed - but surely with training required to be ready for July 3 plus 2 weak isolation means Window to involve any other team just about closed

So looks like 5 team comp it is - that will do - let’s get this thing going

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wayne Smith in The Australian suggesting the opening fixtures could be:

Brumbies v Rebels in Canberra
Reds v Waratahs in Brisbane

All subject to Fox Sports of course.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I assume the sides will be exempt from border closures. Do they have to go into an isolation bubble like the NRL?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wayne Smith in The Australian suggesting the opening fixtures could be:

Brumbies v Rebels in Canberra
Reds v Waratahs in Brisbane

All subject to Fox Sports of course.
the fact the Reds game is at Suncorp I hope means there is a chance of fans?

I don't see the point otherwise.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Would love to see QPR, Shute Shield etc. Baabaa teams or NRC teams added into the competition.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
the fact the Reds game is at Suncorp I hope means there is a chance of fans

These?

IMG_0990.JPG

Or these?

IMG_0991.JPG

Edit: just saw an item on 1 news about Danish football where they've installed a 40 x 3m video wall that fans can "zoom" into while watching the game on tv at home, their local football club, the pub, etc. Now that's something I can get onboard with.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Surely the Force will need to recruit some extra players to be more competitive - there is a few kicking around released from contracts they could pick up like Jono Lance, Polota-Nau.....and Kyle Godwin, David Horowitz

While admirable to give existing squad opportunities - squad quality they need for GRR vs against Super Rugby sides different step up...and would rather see them be competitive