• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2020

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Hi Mauler. God forbid we’re relying on the ARU. Can’t believe Siru Board couldn’t have predicted global pandemic. Surely one was just about due. Let’s say we start comp on July 18 & begin training on July 1. One round then finals per program.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I reckon you are pretty close to the money PB with your Mid July prdiction of the local Comp kicking off and playing each other once.
Because it won't be a full Comp I would increase the Finals Series to either a Top 5 or even Top 6 to cover teams that might have got the rough end of the Pineapple with more away games against the Top Teams

Agree fully
What’s your take on a 1 full round comp. 9 sides play 8 games (4 home and 4 away) and a finals series of say 6 run like this
Week 1
3rd Vs 6th (match 1)
4th Vs 5th (match 2)
1st and 2nd bye

Week 2
1 vs 2 winner hosts final (match 3)
Winner match 1 vs winner match 2 (match 4)

Week 3
Loser match 3 vs winner match 4

Week 4 grand final

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
All very interesting indeed !
I am probably more interested in the mecahnics of how this comp will work rather than a possible outcome at the moment. The new road map as laid out by the state goverment would indicate groups of 10 from this friday , groups of up to 20 one month after ( depending on factors ) that . Which would put us in mid june. Then one month after that they are talking groups up to 100. Which would be mid july. Which seems in line with what a lot of people were predicting for a start to SIRU in 2020.
My query is this :
How do we define 100 people at a club game ? Just working on base numbers for a club with 3 grades ( 2 mens and womens) would indicate at bare minimum 45 players for each club which would take you to 90 without admin and ref's in the equation.
Does this rule affect how our comp will be played ? Certainly going to make for some headaches !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
My query is this :
How do we define 100 people at a club game ? Just working on base numbers for a club with 3 grades ( 2 mens and womens) would indicate at bare minimum 45 players for each club which would take you to 90 without admin and ref's in the equation.
Does this rule affect how our comp will be played ? Certainly going to make for some headaches !

The mechanics are interesting aren't they. Are clubs expected to lock the gates if numbers go over the 100 people? Are player's issued with a pass to ensure they can get in?

I wonder if the modified competition would be 1st Grade and Women's only? Would definitely be easier to administer.

Is there a risk that the numbers that were around early in the year are not there now? ie not fit/training etc? Or potentially that numbers will be greater as a social outlet?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
From what I can gather Group 20 won’t run a Reserve Grade comp. Players will be encouraged to come to the ground in their gear. Each use of change rooms will be followed by sanitisation before another team can use it. If getting changed in change rooms players must be 1.5m apart. After games players should leave the ground as soon as practicable & not interact with each other or spectators. But for 80 minutes it’s fine to tackle, wrestle, run into, pack scrums & generally exchange sweat with each other.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
From what I can gather Group 20 won’t run a Reserve Grade comp. Players will be encouraged to come to the ground in their gear. Each use of change rooms will be followed by sanitisation before another team can use it. If getting changed in change rooms players must be 1.5m apart. After games players should leave the ground as soon as practicable & not interact with each other or spectators. But for 80 minutes it’s fine to tackle, wrestle, run into, pack scrums & generally exchange sweat with each other.
Hypocrisy in action hey PB!

For mine, I want to see local footy back as soon as possible but it needs to be safe and it needs to make sense.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I look forward to seeing how this will be managed.
I'm pretty certain that 3's will get ditched this year , the logistics of the 100 person rule makes it almost too hard to manage in many ways. Perhaps staggered game starts with 30 minute gaps between games may be the answer ? Friday night games for other grades , saturday afternoon for 1's ? We will have to be pretty inventive across the board.
I think the biggest issue clubs and SIRU will face, will be keeping our people in rugby . If we cant at least have 40 odd blokes ( and 15 gilrs) playing over the course of the 9 round comp then they may not come back at all. Thats the big issue.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Maybe something like this Athol. No spectators. Home team security at gate. Each pair of teams has use of ground for 2 hours. Come to ground dressed to play. Don’t use change rooms. Warm up, play then after game recovery. Leave ground. Next team. Repeat. 10:00 Reserves. 12:00 Women’s. 2:00 First Grade. Is it possible to livestream games to your club’s Facebook page?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Have heard Hay have already pulled the pin this year & Tumut & Aggies may struggle to field teams. Apparently conditions required for the comp to go ahead are pretty severe. How many other clubs may have second thoughts?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Well , we can talk murmurs and rumours as well as furphies all day long. But until a draw comes comes out , i dont believe a thing.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Well , we can talk murmurs and rumours as well as furphies all day long. But until a draw comes comes out , i dont believe a thing.

Really????

I thought this was the place to come to find out the truth about what's happening in SIRU and the clubs ;)

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Brumbies Athol. I saw on Facebook where Aggies are looking forward to beginning training in early June, so that’s a good sign.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Is that "SIRU", perhaps? SRU are most definitely part of NSWRU, but SIRU is in the Brumbies greater domain.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
You would presume that wouldn’t you Athol. But pretty sure we’ll be getting our directives through Brumbies. Siru juniors run through territory where the seniors are part of the Waratahs set up. So if I’m correct some senior clubs like Temora, Cootamundra & Grenfell will be following directions from Waratahs while their juniors will be getting their information from Brumbies. Probably similar directions anyway.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
The lack of the firm start date has probably got more to do with individual clubs and what they are going to be able to field this year.
There was some telling comments From SIRU President about Aggies being able to field at least one side and Hay working out where they are at . That would suggest to me that SIRU is probably trying to work out who is going be in the comp before they say when it is going to start.
Its quite interesting seeing how other codes are handling all of this . Hume League has said no premiership in 2020 , Group 20 is mooting a single grade comp this year and Group 9 is still working at what & where as well. My spy in Mongoland tells me towns like Junee, Cootamundra & Temora are all struggling to find the numbers. South City will not be paying any players at all this year - a big move for the mongo's. Soccer has some interesting issues as well.

Either way , how each of the SIRU clubs situations unfolds over the next few weeks will be probably dictating to SIRU about a comp and a date. Thats my thoughts on it anyway.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Good points @Bubba.

I reckon it makes sense to just run with 1st Grade and Women's in the first instance. Let clubs organise scratch matches for other grades against the clubs that can field the teams.

Figure out a Final's Series when you know who's who in the comp.

Commonsense and flexibility has to be the foundation.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Good points @Bubba.

I reckon it makes sense to just run with 1st Grade and Women's in the first instance. Let clubs organise scratch matches for other grades against the clubs that can field the teams.
Figure out a Final's Series when you know who's who in the comp.

Commonsense and flexibility has to be the foundation.

Whilst I dont want that scenario personally, I can see that it may be a distinct possibility. It could well be the case that some clubs may only be able to commit to a single grade in 2020. And that is probably why SIRU appears inactive on a date.

We just need to be flexible and perhaps understanding as well .

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
It's disappointing to see that Hay are out for the season, hopefully they can come back in 2021 - possibly even have some players running around for Griffith even?

I heard that the CW competition wasn't proceeding for the 2020 season. The thought process being that rugby is a social outing first and foremost - without crowds, what's the point? It's a fair point I guess, rugby is a community game and the crowd/spectators/supporters are central to that.

Live streaming is a reasonable idea, but I wonder what the value is for the game or the sponsor.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I suppose we just have to wait and see who nominates for what I guess !

Rugby is a community game and is seen as a social outing by many but by the same token , for the people playing and coaching its an important outlet as well. I think some kind of Rugby needs to be played this year. I'm just not sure what that format will end up being.