• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Gees we talk about the admin heavy RA structure. The latest Halloran article brings another to the table “national player contract manager Nick Taylor”

Why the hell cant Ben Whittaker - GM High Performance do it?
Or perhaps Scott Johnson as Coaching Director ?
There also seems to be a Head of Professional Rugby in Anthony French.

There is also apparently:

A Chief Business Officer and
A Chief Commercial Officer

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
That’s a shit statement. How the hell would you know if the people there are lazy? Perhaps it’s the processes etc. or maybe the model is ineffective? That’s peoples jobs most earning around $50-60k a year getting asked to do things that people in other businesses are getting paid considerably more for.

You can be bitter and angry at the game but don’t call someone that’s probably working their ass off for little lazy when you wouldn’t have the slightest clue what goes on in that workplace. Just remember you can work your ass off in a business with incredible employees but still fail

Not bitter and angry at the game - love the game of rugby union - but certainly grieve for past great times and sad about the mess the current administration has made of it in recent times.

I've heard the $50-$60k comment before - it actually represents the range of the average wage in Australia.

I'm happy to judge them by their efforts in managing the alliance with the Western Force (2016-2017) = which was supposed to be the new way forward - and how badly they managed my membership during that period.

The West felt little impact from this organisation which was meant to step up including the assistance with coaching etc which never occurred (unless you count the 5 days from Mick the Kick in the 2017 pre-season). The Wallabies coach didn't come to the West at any time between Test matches. You can count the number of the 140 who actually came West during this year on one hand. I reckon we've felt the impact and understand the workings of RA better than most.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think your missing Rebels point FF (Folau Fainga'a). I certainly wouldn't argue with you regarding how badly treated the Force were, how RA failed to deliver for WA, in fact I completely agree with you.
The point is, this results from decisions made by the RA Board and senior management. There were 100+other people there doing the job they were asked to do, supporting there families. Like all workplaces effort levels would have been mixed, but some would have worked bloody hard. To call them all lazy is just out of line. These are the people now without a job, trying to work out how to pay the mortgage, feed the family etc.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Confirmation that RA's accounts have been signed off by the auditors & lodged with ASIC, but in not-so-good news, "Sources have told the Sydney Morning Herald more than a quarter of the 200-plus staff, many of whom were stood down until July 1 due to coronavirus, will lose their roles under the company restructure. The cuts will be made across a wide variety of departments, including senior executives and managers."

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...ins-costcutting-after-auditors-sign-off-books

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Perhaps that gives you an idea that RA is moving to a somewhat leaner HQ and will rely on the States to help run and promote rugby in their state rather than doubling up on the work.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That kind of poses an interesting question. What are RAs responsibilities? Contracting for Wallabies, scheduling matches and dealing with the related logistics, a bit of Wallabies marketing, a bit of accounting and governance. What else? There must be loads more given there are 200 employees and the above could be managed by about 10

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
That kind of poses an interesting question. What are RAs responsibilities? Contracting for Wallabies, scheduling matches and dealing with the related logistics, a bit of Wallabies marketing, a bit of accounting and governance. What else? There must be loads more given there are 200 employees and the above could be managed by about 10
+ getting a broadcast deal; issuing states their licence to operate.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Fox probably not as keen on Rugby as the NRL as they are only getting local coverage. NRL being shown in UK and USA would be adding to the value of the rights.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I know but the rights to these regions have already been sold. Because Super Rugby has three partners they sell it differently to the NRL who are in total control of their product.

The international rights to the NRL are in all likelihood worth even less than Super Rugby's.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Only when there is other sport on. Lots of rugby guys I know in the UK and USA watched their first league games on the weekend.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
How much actual promotion have RA ever done for Super? The only promotion I can recall is from the state RUs which means a bit in Qld and a desert in NSW.

Sorry, I more meant, the QRU and NSWRU can handle the marketing, promotion and management of the game in their states with directions from RA.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sorry, I more meant, the QRU and NSWRU can handle the marketing, promotion and management of the game in their states with directions from RA.

Works for me, just having trouble seeing the savings to RA for not doing something that there was scant evidence of them doing before.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Works for me, just having trouble seeing the savings to RA for not doing something that there was scant evidence of them doing before.

;)!

Quite seriously, the entire rugby Aust structure requires either a ruthless, radical centralisation, or a ruthless radical decentralisation (and I fail to see how this latter course would work but it theoretically fits the bill).

The overall structure we have for administering the code today is vastly over-staffed, highly over-replicated, and simply way too expensive in relation to any sensibly cast forward revenue profile that is realistic.

And, just as importantly, by structurally reducing the entire cost base RA's historical high-cost model that has in part driven the fatal economic greed for 'whatever big media $s we can get we'll get and fuck the quality of product we deliver or whether the fans are there or not', this driver can be binned for something that will, in the short term, produce less media $s but will permit the delivery of a product that can be designed around fan engagement and local tribal passions.

And therein lies the opportunity for a salvation, vs a slow suicide.