• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
yes it is sad that these people have been made redundant(along with tens of thousands other employees across the nation),but maybe the point is,they should not have been employed in the first place?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
yes it is sad that these people have been made redundant(along with tens of thousands other employees across the nation),but maybe the point is,they should not have been employed in the first place?

Would you mind listing those specific staff members, and why they shouldn't have been employed in the first place...........

No? Something something Twiggy........ K, thnx.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Sarah Friend is gone as well, I have a feeling we might of seen Rugby.com.au for the last time. I honestly don’t know who’s left.

Damn that sucks to hear.

If anyone has their ears, it might be worth asking them to have a chat to 'The Athletic'. I know a lot of Journos in the UK have switched to it and the quality of writing I've come across has been fantastic. Would be great to ensure we keep the high quality rugby content coming out.

Reactions: dru

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
How totally buggered is RA when someone in a senior position within the org is prepared to leak the entire annual report to the Oz?

They may as well just draw the curtains.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
It’s quite something, and also quite sad, to see the sport shrinking right before I eyes. This has been along time coming. But it’s still not pretty to watch. Gotta feel for the staff let go today.

I’m not sure the Rebels will survive this either - and I’m not sure what fate awaits the remaining Super Rugby participants - who knows what comp can now be cobbled together and whether anyone will pay to televise it.

I think SANZAAR at a provincial level is gone.

So much change. So fast. Let’s hope there’s something to get behind in coming years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
and here i was thinking annual reports were supposed to be published?

i still don't understand the 'shock' around RA's financials. Haven't we known they've been fucked for at least 2 years. More probably, but certainly since the Force got axed for financial reasons.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Published most definitely, leaked to a newspaper prior to publishing? Definitely not.

I’m not shocked about the numbers as there have been plenty foreshadowing a day of financial reckoning for many years. COViD hastened this for sure but it was always going to happen with the trajectory RA was on due to a poor board and poorer on field performances.

How can an organisation heal itself or start to at least sort through the damage when members of either the board or management (or both) seemingly have a rule set up in their email that forwards them straight to Jessica Halloran?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
How totally buggered is RA when someone in a senior position within the org is prepared to leak the entire annual report to the Oz?
Relax. The bones of the RA financials are obtainable even by you or me if the desire is sufficient (which in my case, it isn't).

For the familiar annual report we just wait a few weeks.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
What's most surprising is that someone thought there was sufficient interest in the RA financials to bother leaking them.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^ You can get some details from the ASIC website if you have a plastic card and a few bucks to spare on it. No leak required. But, for average punters like us, I wouldn't bother. The broad position is known. More particulars will come out soon enough in the bumpf of the usual annual report.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
i am suggesting that many of those positions may not have been neccessary,that is all

When Peter V'Landys took over Racing NSW he undertook a review and made redundant a similar percentage of middle managers and he's in the process of doing the same at the NRL. I suspect that many professional sporting bodies have employed people in roles which are luxuries rather than necessities and there's no reason to believe that RA are any different.

That doesn't mean that the people in those roles weren't working hard or doing what they were asked to do, it just means that their role might not be necessary to the organisation's core business or that it substantially duplicates other roles within the organisation.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^there are a lot of development officers out in the regions too. There are 2 in our zone and I was talking to one of them recently, although they run around in Waratahs kit they are actually on the RA payroll. I assume it’s the same for the other states. Some would say they are unnecessary but they actually do a really good job organising clinics etc, and run the coaching/ref clinics etc. There is probably room for consolidation but we actually need blokes like these out here.

EDIT: I was responding to Redshappy, not BH. That’s sad BH, but inevitable

I can provide a similar example from not so long ago. When my son was a little younger he used to go to rugby camps in the school holidays. One was in the Easter holidays and the other in the June holidays. One was run by NSWRU and the other by the then ARU, but the staff at each camp was exactly the same they just wore Waratahs gear to one and Wallaby stuff to the other. I knew a couple of the guys who were running it and I asked them about it and they just shrugged their shoulders.

Re DOs, my experience is that some of them were absolutely fantastic; they were always available to come to junior training and clearly loved the role. Others weren't so great and were just box tickers. They could run a primary school 7s day involving 200 kids and get the same number of participants for the KPI as the guy who went to 10 junior training sessions.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Most (all?) of the DOs were paid rubbish money. The hours were horrid and not at all supportive of work/life balance.

There were some very good ones - some great ones in fact - but also a lot who were just doing it because it was a job until something better came along and/or they finished Uni.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It certainly is a young person’s job. I have noticed several of the roles were starting to be distributed to super w players as a means to engage them in the sport and offer some form of professionalism to the sport.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have a friend who works at the AFL who has been told they will be cutting at least 25% of their current staff.

This isn't so much a 'rugby in turmoil' story as a 'sport in turmoil' story. Cricket Australia is doing the same.

I feel for all of the people involved.