• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2020

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I was fairly vocal early on, saying we should just can the season, however after talking to the players and coaches in our club along with the other presidents in the region I have come a full 180 degrees. Returning to Play is as much about supporting the welfare of the players as it is abiding our new social paradigms. Coupled with the well-being of the players, I have been very impressed with the work that the rugby hierarchy is doing in the background. SIRU, Brumbies and RA have all put a lot of energy and thought in to our Return to Play protocols. Hopefully we do get some sort of season on the books for 2020 and are setup for 2021, however that may look.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
At this stage only junior sport has the OK to re commence. We have a long way to go. Things are evolving pretty quickly but they’ll need to if footy is to happen this year.

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
The latest news from Albury ?
Hasn't anyone told the Steamers taht the likelihood of a 3rd Grade Comp this year is very close to Zero
What does their President mean when he says " that 3rd Grade tends to have a slightly different set of Rules" ?
If SIRU ends up being a 1 Grade Comp this year for Men & Women are Albury in or out ?
Must be something in the Water they drink at their Meetings- they are fieding a Women's side but not sure of Juniors teams but want Juniors olaying 3rd Grade that has different Rules !

The Albury-Wodonga Steamers are the latest Border sporting club to say no to senior football in 2020.

After a club-wide meeting to discuss whether to contest a shortened SIRU season, a compromise was made.
While there won't be first or second grade side teams, the Steamers will field a third grade side to provide experience for the teenagers transitioning into open age rugby.
President Mick Raynes said it gives the club an opportunity to salvage something from the season.
"There's no guarantee the competition is going ahead, we're training with limited numbers and there's a lot of guesswork, so we just wanted to make a decision," he said.
"We sat down to discuss what's the best thing we can get out of this year and we think the best we can do is foster the 16, 17 and 18-year-olds.
"There's a few restrictions on having them play second and first grade, but third grade tends to play under a slightly different set of rules.
"We'll have a few seasoned footballers running around beside them and the best we can hope for is having 10 kids who next year are good to play grade rugby.
"We've let SIRU know that's what we'll be doing and if other clubs get on board, so be it, if they don't, it's neither here nor there."

Raynes admitted added pressure on volunteers to ensure the club is following strict protocols to train and play was another factor.

The Steamers will also field a women's team, while a decision is yet to be made on a junior season.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I dont think Albury will be the last club to announce something like this.

Over in Mongoland (aka Group 9) , the uncertainty has forced the hand of a few of the smaller clubs. Like Temora and Coota , I think we will see something similar in SIRU shortly.

You can only wonder at how this season is going to look like !

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
I dont think Albury will be the last club to announce something like this.

Over in Mongoland (aka Group 9) , the uncertainty has forced the hand of a few of the smaller clubs. Like Temora and Coota , I think we will see something similar in SIRU shortly.

You can only wonder at how this season is going to look like !

Fair enough there may be others but Albury are nominating a Grade with both Juniors & Seniors ? and also a Women's Team which seems to be a bit of picking and choosing

As far as I see it SIRU won't dedicate the Draw to helping some Clubs have a 3rds for example because of their numbers

It's either All in or All out at this stage of the Year because the Draw will look like a Neopolitan Ice Cream

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
It might be better at this stage of the year/season that Siru make a call. It’s obvious they are in an unenviable situation but clubs need to know more about the big picture.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
So we could be seeing some big news over the next few days in regards to SIRU and sport in general.

Its interesting that the day after Group 10 & Group 11 Rugby League comps announce they will be in recess for 2020 - as well as Central West announcing that they would make a decision on the viability of rugby in the same region - the NSW state Government comes up with a 'July 1 things can start again' call ! The very next day !
The word about, was that Group 9 could well have been down to 6 teams. Maybe Rugby Clubs will get an influx of disenfranchised leaguies yet !

Now to see what our own comp does !

triathlon

Frank Row (1)
Im a bit late to the discussion but was just browsing the DA and read about the Wagga City president pushing all the clubs to "just get on with" and play footy.

I'm not speaking on behalf of any teams but I don't believe that its that easy for clubs to "get on with it" in the current environment, particularly for some of the teams out of Wagga which have a large number of blue collar working players who cant risk missing 2 weeks of work due to playing footy and a COVID case arising. These teams survive on having good relationships with the large employers (Baida, JBS, Teys, Casellas, Visy) to assist in employment, shift changes etc to allow players to get to training and to play. If any of these had to shut down due to a case arising among their businesses that stemmed from Rugby, these relationships would be mud.

Sponsorship for this year has nearly gone out the door for some clubs, particularly from pubs, clubs and small business which had to shut down for over two months.

I'm not sure on CSU's position due to them not having a huge reliance on students anymore but im sure WAC would be struggling considering there is currently no students allowed at attend uni.

All of this is compounded due to the uncertainty on the season with no concrete starting date and by the sounds of things, a lack of communication and transparency from SIRU. If clubs are not being told what other clubs are thinking how can positive decisions be made?

As has been talked about already, most people play Rugby to be involved in a great community and to socialize while playing the great game. Why risk turning people away from an already struggling game by scrounging around to put a first grade team in that would most likely be unprepared and not at a first grade playing level.

Finally, why bash Albury for making what they believe to be the best decision for their club? I would hope that there isnt a committee in our comp which wouldn't put the clubs (players, sponsors and supporters) best interests at heart.

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
Latest Daily Advertiser article this afternoon say the SIRU board will meet Monday to discuss options for a season.
Word on the street is there is only four clubs with first grade teams that being Tumut, City, Tahs and Reddies.
Is it still called a competition with only four teams? Or even worth having one?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Not great news out of Griffith but they have to do what they have to do.

If there is only 4 first grade sides nominated ( as suggested ) , I'd say SIRU would be edging closer to either a 1 team ( mens & womens) comp or some sort of 'gala' day scenario now.

Tonights board meeting will be interesting.

David Hillton

Frank Row (1)
:D

I know, SIRU should force clubs to play and should have started on the 4th of April when originally planned.

I don't think SIRU forcing clubs to play in these unprecedented times would be the right call for Rugby in the future. If a player from any team was to contract Covid-19 and gave it to other players within our zone who would get the blame and backlash?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
So if we do end up with only 4 teams ( and only 3 have officially pulled out at this point !) and they are willing and committed to play , then they shouldn't play ? There's no rules to say they cant ?

Just as we respect the decision of some clubs to withdraw, it makes sense that we must respect the decision of clubs that want to play on. I am not sure how cancelling the comp is pro-active. I'd describe that as reactive.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
It's a pretty rough situation for all concerned in my view. Clubs are not in a great position to see where there numbers are, there are safety concerns (playing and personal health/COVID), also sponsors to consider and insurance etc etc etc.

It's no different for the zone either, they've got all the same balls to juggle.

SIRU have typically done a pretty good job at coming up with modifications to competitions based on previous efforts and I reckon they'd be doing their best to stay in regular contact with clubs and sort something out.

If the clubs want to play (and it's safe to do so), let them play. Likewise if they don't or can't, it's their call.

COVID 19 is truly unprecedented times and it's been a very difficult set of circumstances for all levels of the game.

I reckon some sort of charity gala day or similar is probably a decent option. Maybe even play a three-way series or something at 3x venues with a final to be held between the two highest ranked teams?

Who knows...

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Group 20 pulled the pin last night. Seniors & Juniors. Have heard that Cutters haven’t officially withdrawn. I wonder if they might have an influx of Hay Magpie league players & re think their situation?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
The silence on this forum has been deafening !
4 teams in 1's - disappointing to say the least but it is what it is. Regardless of opinion, 4 clubs have indicated a willingness to play in 2020. Lets get on with it.
Incredibly ironic situation at the uni with aggies having no numbers and Reddies being able to field multiple sides. A complete reversal of fortunes one could say. Hopefully Leeton and Albury get an influx of players to help their situation as well.
Either way , its almost set , lets get on with it.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Shock ? At what ? Some people trying to organise a rugby comp for Clubs that want to play rugby ? Heaven forbid !! Quick put a stop to that. But to placate the masses we shall call it Blair Cup this year ? After all its only half a competition!

And there's some more irony for you . 3 clubs that missed the semis last year are all in a position to field teams in multiple grades. The same clubs that certain members of this forum were screaming to be amalgamated or moved on or just be done away with. Me personally, I would be applauding the Presidents, coaches and committee members that have had the drive and desire to keep their clubs going - as I applaud the approach of SIRU to not give up and take the easy option.

I get that things are hard. And I get that some clubs have had to make a hard decision. But its also a bloody hard decision that takes far more work and effort to keep going when every keyboard warrior says not keep going. Tahs may well win this Half Cup but at least they'll be made to work for it.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
And we are very well aware of your opinion on this.
No integrity, is a pretty big call to put back on the SIRU board and indirectly Brumbies Rugby. I mean these guys have worked bloody hard to make this '45%' Cup work after all. I dont think they planned to have a 45% cup - I reckon they budgeted on a 70% cup. But clubs that they thought would be right to play (and suggested they would have at least one team) let them down. I'd like to point out that the board member who acts on our behalf ( who by the way has no direct link to Wagga City) has put in a top effort.
Integrity. Its an interesting word.