• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
got a point about scrum resets and mauls but.

I never did understand their constant need to compare the two codes though. It's like fuckin Melbournians banging on about how great Melbourne is.

I don't even think about you fluffybunny.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Just thinking of a solution to the calendar issues/Super Rugby going home and away for 22 weeks.

That would be too long, or would need a break (NO!) for the June tests, so lets play them in April/May instead - straight after the 6 Nations. I think NH club seasons are done by then?

Instead of the NH teams getting together 2-3 months after they last played, why not have them come down straight after the 6 Nations and play a proper 3 test series. Ideally SA and Argentina would host a team as well, and it would be awesome if the PI's got some games too (the sides that tour Aus/NZ could do a tour of the islands after the mainland)

Mid week tests - probably not a great idea as work/family gets in the way, although State of Origin always gets sold out midweek....
or
Sunday afternoon test matches. Super Rugby keeps going throughout, so some sides lose some of their players but I think this still works as it's only 3 weeks and all teams would deal with the issue at the same time. Good test of depth and increased playing time for the extended/bench players, plus I think it evens the comp out a bit as well.

Test players go back to Super Rugby still with a month-6 weeks to go before the finals, then the RC starts after that.

Sell everything from club rugby to Super Rugby as one whole package to a broadcaster available online for streaming/live viewing, on both sides of the ditch

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
got a point about scrum resets and mauls but.

I never did understand their constant need to compare the two codes though. It's like fuckin Melbournians banging on about how great Melbourne is.

I don't even think about you fluffybunny.

Yep, lived in Melbourne for a few years before seeing the light and heading north, now that is one place with a figjam chip on its shoulder.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/05/29/world-rugby-coronavirus-law-changes

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere, but surprised it hasn't surfaced yet.

10 optional Law variations suggested or condoned by WR (World Rugby), for each national body to consider introducing to minimise close contact during a game. Which would be the likely contenders of a Super Rugby AU comp?

I think they all have positive points about them, but the game will change if they are introduced. More like GRR than Super I think.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Had to laugh at this cheap shot fucknuckle Wally Mason chucked in at the bottom of today’s article.

View attachment 11508

Rugby League fans seem to have an obsession with talking about how much better their sport is than Rugby Union. My mates, who are big league fans, do it constantly and it pisses me off to no end. I suspect its a bit of a little brother syndrome. Deep down I think it annoys league fans that barely anyone outside of Australia appreciates the game. Watching the league journos gushing last week because a few Americans tweeted about the NRL games on ESPN says it all.

I like league and AFL, I just prefer rugby. And it would be childish of me to sit here and tell some league or AFL fan why their sport is inferior, because at the end of the day entertainment is subjective. It's like shitting on someone's taste in music; a pointless exercise that says more about their own insecurities.

The fact that Mason points to scrums and rolling mauls as reasons fans should stop watching is case and point. Real rugby fans will tell you that those contests makes the game more entertaining.

I will say however I do think World Rugby has been a bit slow to act in terms of updating a few rules that would make the game more user friendly. The fact that they still don't stop the clock when the ball is out of play in the final quarter of the game is the biggest blight on the game in my opinion. How many times have we seen an epic close contest end with 7 minutes of scrum resets. fix it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/05/29/world-rugby-coronavirus-law-changes

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere, but surprised it hasn't surfaced yet.

10 optional Law variations suggested or condoned by WR (World Rugby), for each national body to consider introducing to minimise close contact during a game. Which would be the likely contenders of a Super Rugby AU comp?

I think they all have positive points about them, but the game will change if they are introduced. More like GRR than Super I think.

I like the removal of the scrum option after penalty or free kick. How many times do we see a couple of scrum resets, the ref finally loses patience and give a free kick only for the team to elect for another scrum.

There also should be a 'use it' call once the ball reaches the No 8 and from that point scrum penalties are off the table with the only exception being an attacking 5m scrum.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Im in, but Quick Hands wont be in the stands with us.

:):):)
Utav5olfvNNX9Cx6wzk5wo5rSvEHf9bWhHNrUqT-s4ueHMQAtRSvhThZYoC5IIbDDLr_eeQF8poMVF3yOXgjMFk8yuYdVRk9uBSLyx71YDYQkljO3fVAwdeU47Luhmj9J_uJUPSqOdtLNRYNoKK2B9NMMuHXQJmqGA

Status
Not open for further replies.