• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, so I just sat through the Member update. Some random snippets from it.

Was Dave Hanham, Liam Wright and Sam Cordingly.

The Picone 3:
- all spoke very openly abut this and particularly the players themselves. No mention of the manager, which was obviously the plan. They spoke very highly of the three players however and were sad to see them go.
- Wright suggested it had galvanised the team because it made them realise how much they had all sacrifised as one to play, which was a good point I thought.
- Cordingly said they work with about 18 managers and have positive relationships with basically all of them.

Super Rugby 2020:
- as we know, 4 SUper Rugby teams and Force. Ten week comp and then two weeks of finals (1 straight through to GF with 2v3 playing off to face them)
- working with govt and venues around crowds. May just be members only (or some members only)
- Will be rule variations which are largely driven by the broadcasters (Fox) to create more unstructured play and decrease lulls. Remember it is only for this comp and not tests so its a balancing act to not lose the right prep for tests
  • 50/22 and 22/50 rule for kicking (Scott Johnson a big fan of this)
  • Line drop outs for held up over the try line (anywhere on the tryline and must go 5m)
  • some fiddling around with scrum resets and encouraging free kicks. No one seems a massive fan. Definitely not Thorn, and not Dave Rennie.
  • Also looking at the Red Card for 20 minutes and then replacement allowed on.
  • Also looking at a white card which comes after 5 repeated defensive infringements and is a 5 min sin bin
- Wilson and Paisami back to full training.
- some big gains from players including young lock Tualima who has put on 4kgs
Premier Rugby:
- looking a good chance to be on fox sports.
- non playing Reds squad have to stay quarantined with the squad so won't be able to play PRemier Rugby until the Super Rugby Comp is over.
- this is the first season ever all Premier Grade sides will also each have a womens team.
Next year:
- Trans tasman a big focus but also looking at how to include a Japan team.
- Suliasi Vunivalu is still very keen to coming the Brisbane and joining the team next year.
- Ballymore redevelopment - have $15m from the Feds. Working with the state to match with discussions back under way following covid enforced pause.
Anyone pick up anything else?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Totally understandable, but a bit of a pity the four guys recently called up to the senior squad won't be playing much footy this year.

Still a great opportunity for them, but would have been great to see their development this year in 1st grade.

B

Bobby Sands

Snippet in the Bronco-mail said Tattsy has been down at Ballymore doing some defensive work with the Reds.

Some bloke called Michael Todd is taking the responsibility (sigh) but it's good that the great man is down there lending a hand.

I believe Michael has extensive knowledge in defensive analysis both here and at Munster.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Snippet in the Bronco-mail said Tattsy has been down at Ballymore doing some defensive work with the Reds.

Some bloke called Michael Todd is taking the responsibility (sigh) but it's good that the great man is down there lending a hand.

I believe Michael has extensive knowledge in defensive analysis both here and at Munster.

Toddy's the analyst. Forwards coach for Country last 2 seasons. Thorny values his opinion very highly so makes sense he gets an opportunity to step up.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Senior Analyst at the Reds as well as Assistant Coach for NRC Queensland Country - Forwards and Contact

B

Bobby Sands

Was lucky enough to be one of Toddy's assistants last season. Has great knowledge of rugby and has all the making of a coach.

That's great to know.

Any further insights into his style, strengths etc?

Thanks ahead of time.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Bobby , Toddy has been the Colts 1 coach at UQ for the past few seasons . Highly rated by all that have had much to do with him.

Has South African heritage and is very much a forward based coach with big emphasis on accuracy across the park , particularly in defence and the breakdown.

As Reg said has been involved with analysis at the Reds for a while now .

B

Bobby Sands

Bobby , Toddy has been the Colts 1 coach at UQ for the past few seasons . Highly rated by all that have had much to do with him.

Has South African heritage and is very much a forward based coach with big emphasis on accuracy across the park , particularly in defence and the breakdown.

As Reg said has been involved with analysis at the Reds for a while now .

Sounds like a great human to have involved.

Really appreciate the reply.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm no lawyer but shouldn't these rules have come into play here:

4.9 Approaches to Contract Players or other Contracted Person [7]

4.9.1 No Union, Rugby Body, Club, Agent or any other Person or entity, whether acting on its own account or on behalf of any third party, shall approach (or accept an approach by or on behalf of) any Contract Player or other Contracted Person who has a written agreement with a Union, Rugby Body or Club to induce or attempt to induce such Contract Player or Contracted Person to leave their Union, Rugby Body or Club unless (i) the prior written consent of that Union, Rugby Body or Club has been obtained; or (ii) such approach is made in the final six month period before the expiry of, or the next option/break clause in, such a written agreement.

4.9.2 Alleged breaches of Regulation 4.9.1 will be dealt with in accordance with Regulation 18 (and in the case of Agents, Regulation 5) and may result in the imposition of the penalties set out in Regulation 18.6.1 (and in the case of Agents, in Regulation 5.1.10).

Well it seems Johno has "discovered" these rules. It took me 5 mins on google, I'd expect these blokes who earn big $ to be aware of the actual world rugby regulations FFS. Amateur hour continues.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well it seems Johno has "discovered" these rules. It took me 5 mins on google, I'd expect these blokes who earn big $ to be aware of the actual world rugby regulations FFS. Amateur hour continues.
He probably read your post. I actually mean this quite seriously. If he didn’t someone else probably did and pointed him to it. The tone of the article would suggest this.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So Tom Taylor is on the market after being released from his Pau contract after leaving France during COVID - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12337901

He's based on the Gold Coast, has done his isolation etc. Could be a handy pick up to help cover Lucas's departure .

The former AB?

I don’t think that’s a good fit at all. If you want someone who can do the job for now we have JOC (James O'Connor). What we need is a new player being guided through to long term 10. Taken a few minutes here and there building it for seasons coming. We don’t want or need a journeyman 10.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Correct Dru.

I agree that he'd be a journeyman, but if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down, it does leave us very raw in the flyhalf position. He also covers 12 and 15 which would be hugely beneficial.

I would also imagine Carter would learn an incredible amount under Tom's wing given the Canterbury teams Tom played in.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If JOC (James O'Connor) went down it would be Hegarty to 10, Campbell at 15 and a couple fijian flyers on the wings. Not exactly disaster or great to to jump at an AB with a high price tag.

Only thing that would make it a reasonable option would be if he is happy to do the 12 week gig earning a bit of cash and staying fit of sitting around because he's too late to join the NZ one.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Only if he is prepared to work for free

Look, I don't want to dis the guy - who is clearly a long time servant of the game and played at the highest level.

But why would we want him, free or otherwise. He fills no slot as far as I can see, but would interfere with forward planning. OK, I can actually see a role - of a player with sensational 10 skills ready to guide the new bloke through.

Is that Tom? If yes, I'm in, but we still need the next-gen fly half.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Look, I don't want to dis the guy - who is clearly a long time servant of the game and played at the highest level.

But why would we want him, free or otherwise. He fills no slot as far as I can see, but would interfere with forward planning. OK, I can actually see a role - of a player with sensational 10 skills ready to guide the new bloke through.

Is that Tom? If yes, I'm in, but we still need the next-gen fly half.
If I had to pick between Tom and JOC (James O'Connor), it would be Tom everyday. Both can play 10 and 12, at a level above Stewart. Gordon is only 18 or 19 and needs his days as an apprentice. I have closely watched Gordon over the last few years and I still think his skill level counts way above his years.