• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's hard to expect medical advisors and politicians to act in March 2020, using knowledge that we've gained in April and May 2020.

Yes, there have been inconsistencies, and that will always happen when governments move fast in difficult situations. But the risk of having demonstrators march this weekend will be much lower than it was in March, because of the actions we've taken in the last two months.
Rob I agree that we are all learning as time goes by.
However the current restrictions ban outdoor gathering of more than 10 people and physical distancing procedures must be maintained for the legal gatherings.
Demonstrations are exempt.
Therein lies my criticism of politicians who allow the demos.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Except when it's not i.e. demonstrations that the government agrees with.
It's that hypocricy that rankles.

So, are you deliberately ignoring the whole COVID-Hoax/Lockdown and 5G demonstrations that happened nationally last weekend or was that not written about in The Australian?

Just so we're clear on the scale, this was the crowd in front of Brisbane City hall last weekend;

3ewgct996u151.jpg

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
You are drawing a ridiculously long bow here.

Social distancing is still being encouraged but it is no longer being enforced. Venues are allowed to operate and fines are no longer being issued to people for being in public.

It is not at all surprising or hypocritical that a protest is not being stopped now versus public gatherings not being allowed to take place in March and April.

Venues are allowed to operate up to only 20 patrons in some jurisdictions, and in Victoria companies are being threatened with fines if they call employees into the office.

Meanwhile, no one can cross state borders and it's going to be months before we can contemplate going to sporting events again.

But protesters want to demonstrate against - well, I'm not entirely sure what, in Australia - and none of the premiers or their chief health officers say boo.

We've heard time and again that the coronavirus doesn't care about borders, race, status or whatever else. Well, it doesn't care about intention either. If it's safe for protesters to gather en masse then it's safe for footy fans to get back into stadiums. Surely the time for gathering restrictions, except for international travel, has come and gone.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
So, are you deliberately ignoring the whole COVID-Hoax/Lockdown and 5G demonstrations that happened nationally last weekend or was that not written about in The Australian?

Just so we're clear on the scale, this was the crowd in front of Brisbane City hall last weekend;

3ewgct996u151.jpg
Were there any arrests for breaching 'social distancing" rules or exceeding outdoor gathering limits?
Both of which are being ignored by the protestors.
Any police interviews to identify those who should be self isolating but weren't?
No "move along" action by police or politicians.
I don't see any stern words from Dr Young.

News.com doesn't report any police action at all.
All of which adds to my position that isolation and restriction rules have been applied inconsistently and hypocritically.

I should have been there. I see conspiracy theorists were part of the crowd.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
On Friday of last week Dan Andrews used very strong language in mandating the continuance of "work from home".
Must continue. Absolute requirement. No option. All of June and at least June.
Public gatherings are restricted to 20 people.
Then he approves a BLM protest expected to draw 30,000 people to Parliament House on Saturday. No fines will be issued.
Yet another example of politicians overstating the dangers of the coronavirus and being hypocritical in the implementation of "safety" laws.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
On Friday of last week Dan Andrews used very strong language in mandating the continuance of "work from home".
Then he approves a BLM protest expected to draw 30,000 people to Parliament House on Saturday. No fines will be issued.
Yet another example of politicians overstating the dangers of the coronavirus and being hypocritical in the implementation of "safety" laws.

It is so bizzarre, they are finding it so difficult to remove the boot

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

Yeah, I can't disagree with you there, formerflanker.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually, Andrews has advised people not to attend the rally......... but obviously it's ludicrous to expect the government to fine people for showing up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Actually, Andrews has advised people not to attend the rally... but obviously it's ludicrous to expect the government to fine people for showing up.

It is amazing that last week lockdown protestors were literally killing people and now the righteousness of this protest provides an aura of immunity

This is so stupid

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anti-lockdown-vaccine-5G-Bill Gates-freemasonry Illuminati media lizard people protests were stupid.........

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anti-lockdown-vaccine-5G-Bill Gates-freemasonry Illuminati media lizard people protests were stupid...
Let me illuminate you Slim.
The point is that all protests that are allowed to go ahead make a mockery of all Governments' tough anti-gathering rules and restrictions.
Surely you can see the rank inconsistency? You'd flat out like a lizard drinking to argue otherwise.
Rugby crowds are banned yet crowds of protestors are allowed - no-one can square that away (freemasonry reference).

PS Alan's gone from the radio.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let me illuminate you Slim.
The point is that all protests that are allowed to go ahead make a mockery of all Governments' tough anti-gathering rules and restrictions.
Surely you can see the rank inconsistency? You'd flat out like a lizard drinking to argue otherwise.
Rugby crowds are banned yet crowds of protestors are allowed - no-one can square that away (freemasonry reference).

PS Alan's gone from the radio.

I don’t really see the inconsistencies here, unless the government were holding the rally and charging admission?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Your position seems to be that because the government isn't willing to forcibly prevent a protest from taking place that they then must allow every activity to take place.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
There's not been community transmission in NSW for a week, there's little risk in protesting.

That said, I am enjoying the mental gymnastics of the #stayathome crew trying to justify this going ahead.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Your position seems to be that because the government isn't willing to forcibly prevent a protest from taking place that they then must allow every activity to take place.
Yes.
Or ban the protest, just like all other outdoor gatherings are banned.
All I'm asking for is consistency of messaging and application of the Covid19 laws.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don’t really see the inconsistencies here, unless the government were holding the rally and charging admission?
The inconsistency is quite obvious.
A crowd is a crowd is a crowd. The reason for people to gather is not the issue.
Virus transmission is said to spread like wildfire through a crowd.
Vic and NSW have banned crowds.
BUT Vic and NSW are allowing protestors to gather in crowds.
One rule for beach goers, BBQs, and rugby fans.
Another rule for protesters.

Like I said, inconsistent. And I would add, hypocritical.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The hypocrisy is just astounding, don’t you see it as such?
But I trust these individuals to make reasonably good decisions and prefer a world where we are all trusted to make those good decisions about our safety.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The inconsistency is quite obvious.
A crowd is a crowd is a crowd. The reason for people to gather is not the issue.
Virus transmission is said to spread like wildfire through a crowd.
Vic and NSW have banned crowds.
BUT Vic and NSW are allowing protestors to gather in crowds.
One rule for beach goers, BBQs, and rugby fans.
Another rule for protesters.

Like I said, inconsistent. And I would add, hypocritical.

It’s really not........... how do you propose they stop the protestors from gathering?

It’s only hypocritical if they support or promote the rally, which they’re not - the government’s message is for people not to attend.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It’s really not..... how do you propose they stop the protestors from gathering?

It’s only hypocritical if they support or promote the rally, which they’re not - the government’s message is for people not to attend.

If they think the rules are actually worth enforcing they have the tools to enforce those rules.

When there was the anti lockdown protests, they seem to have the tools, the amount of tools needed is just maths and logistics