• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We spent the last couple of months being hectored by public health experts and earnestly righteous media personalities who insisted that easing lockdown policies was immoral, that refusing to social distance or wear masks was nigh upon murderous. They even suggested that protests were somehow profane. But now that the George Floyd protests are serving as some kind of Great Awokening, many of the same are saying “never mind” about all of that. Protests aren’t profane, they’re glorious and essential—if they agree with what you’re protesting about.

https://gfile.thedispatch.com/p/the-treason-of-epidemiologists

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Be interesting to see what happens in NSW. Gladys has very specifically banned the protests, which in light of the rules everyone else has to obey is perfectly reasonable.
The really interesting bit will be how she goes about enforcing this. The left will be outraged if there is any police attempt to tell them to go home, the right will be looking for the rubber bullets if they don't disperse. Hopefully our police force will have the skills needed to disperse the crowd with minimum confrontation. That will be difficult of course because there will be those among the protesters whose mission will be to provoke a confrontation.

101957628_883047658845802_8278487568266297344_n.jpg

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Be interesting to see what happens in NSW. Gladys has very specifically banned the protests, which in light of the rules everyone else has to obey is perfectly reasonable.
The really interesting bit will be how she goes about enforcing this. The left will be outraged if there is any police attempt to tell them to go home, the right will be looking for the rubber bullets if they don't disperse. Hopefully our police force will have the skills needed to disperse the crowd with minimum confrontation. That will be difficult of course because there will be those among the protesters whose mission will be to provoke a confrontation.

102415433_884454968705071_3688027872917700078_n.jpg

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Boyo, It's very hard to see how quoting a number of twitter posts that have nothing to do with me, and in many cases I don't even agree with, are some sort of repudiation of my post. Which, in itself, didn't really take a position but simply raised the difficulty of managing the situation. You have clearly determined through your myopic view of the world that I am a Liberal party supporter (not true) because I have had the gall to suggest that success in dealing with the pandemic was not aligned to party politics.
You really are an angry man, I hope you find some enjoyment somewhere in life!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Today's Hurld Covid-19 dashboard:

IMG_0997.JPG

First case was reported on 28 February which by my maths was 101 days ago.

Virtually guarantees that Jacinda will announce we're moving to Level 1 (removal of all remaining restrictions other than those at the border) at 3pm today our time with effect from midnight Wednesday.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Boyo, It's very hard to see how quoting a number of twitter posts that have nothing to do with me, and in many cases I don't even agree with, are some sort of repudiation of my post. Which, in itself, didn't really take a position but simply raised the difficulty of managing the situation. You have clearly determined through your myopic view of the world that I am a Liberal party supporter (not true) because I have had the gall to suggest that success in dealing with the pandemic was not aligned to party politics.
You really are an angry man, I hope you find some enjoyment somewhere in life!

It was only two posts; can't you cope with that?
You mentioned Gladys; my first quote of your post was a response to her government's hypocrisy. The second was showing the hypocrisy of some with a particular thought process.
I don't have a myopic view of the world; perhaps you should look in the mirror instead of casting aspersions. I have a very realistic and very pragmatic view of the world, largely due to life events. I am disappointed with many politicians and with many people, especially with their cavalier approach to the management of the pandemic.
Saying that I'm an angry man is a strawman proposition; using it exemplifies your lack of knowledge of me.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's great stuff in NZ........

Since the scaredy-cat docs advising the idiot Jacinda & her Government clearly over-reacted & over-reached their authority, it musta been a combination of really, really, REALLY good luck & proximity to The Lucky Country.

......hopefully we can follow suit and maybe even open up our borders to each other soon.

To paraphrase ScoMo, before considering flights between BrisVegas & Auckland you must first be able to fly between BrisVegas & Melbourne. My birthday's in mid-August so if I want some sun it may have to be in the Winterless North or Coromandel (& hope the tail-end of a cyclone doesn't intrude).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
.......hopefully we can follow suit and maybe even open up our borders to each other soon.

There's been some speculation that "the bubble" might initially be with Fiji, Niue, Cook Islands etc then be extended to Australia once your internal borders reopen. Jacinda this morning made it very clear that it'll be Australia first with the others being added once they can prove their testing programs are up to the standard necessary for everyone to be confident that there's next to no chance of anyone in the bubble getting reinfected.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
NZ moving to Level 1 as almost universally predicted but as of midnight tonight, not Wednesday.

Did you have protest marches over the weekend for BLM cause and was it regarded as a bit of a moot point given restrictions removal was about to occur?

Just interested because allowing the ‘gathering’ aspect of the protests I believe has caused definate change of mood in Australia.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lockdown A Week Earlier Would Have Halved UK Coronavirus Death Toll, Says Neil Ferguson

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...rg_7LTDTrp8I84L8xxoC_edOTI-FgOFv44uN6mqEMgKQs

Why would you trust this guy's modelling? (unless it suits your political position)

He has been badly wrong at every stage, everytime he has been "trusted"

Later, avian flu strain A/H5N1, “even in the best-case scenarios”was to “cause2 (million) to 7 million deaths” worldwide. A British professor named Neil Ferguson scaled that up to200 million.It killed 440. This same Ferguson in 2002 hadprojected 50-50,000 deathsfrom so-called “Mad Cow Disease.” On its face, what possible good is a spread that large? (We shall return to this.) But the final toll wasslightly over 200.
In the current crisis the most alarming model, nay probably the most influential in the implementation of the draconian quarantines worldwide, projected a maximum of 2.2 million American deaths and 550,000 United Kingdom deaths unless there were severe restrictions for 18 months or until a vaccine was developed. The primary author: Neil Ferguson. Right, Mad Cow/Avian Flu Fergie.
Then a funny thing happened. A mere nine days after announcing his model,Ferguson saida better number for the U.K. would be only 20,000. The equivalent would be fewer than 80,000 American deaths. Technically, that U.K. number was buried in a table in the report under what might be called “a fantastic case scenario.” But could that reduction possibly reflect a mere nine days of restrictions? No.

One reason Italy had so many “coronavirus deaths” seems to be coding, even though it’s still far more strict than the new CDC guidelines. Re-evaluation of death certificates by the country’s National Institute of Health showed only “12% with direct causality from coronavirus, while 88% of patients who have died have at least one pre-morbidity – many had two or three.”

https://issuesinsights.com/2020/04/...its-time-to-permanently-dump-epidemic-models/

The Cambridge University statistician David Spiegelhalter was almost as sanguine on the BBC’s More or Less programme. He did not challenge the disease’s virulence but suggested it might compress the annual flu death rate into a few weeks – putting intense pressure on hospitals – with the only “extras” coming from non-vulnerable groups. Yet more scepticism was expressed by a former NHS pathologist, John Lee, who suggested deaths of elderly people were being very differently recorded in different countries. How many were really dying “of” Covid-19 rather than of something else “with” it?

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...coronavirus-world-scientists-optimism-experts

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah Ferguson appears to be a professional wrongologist. His track record of prediction has been so poor over a long period of time that it's a wonder anybody still listens to him. That and the fact that he was breaking isolation by knocking off a lady on the side reflects rather badly on him I'd say.