• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I'd say this is the perfect opportunity to give Gordon some bench time towards the back end of this competition. Only playing Australian teams and I can see the Reds kicking out to a couple of leads and then giving him a run

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t think Petaia was due back until July, so I’d expect they’re probably targeting round 5 after the Bye

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I would like to know what the rationale was for Campbell kicking. Obviously they saw something in him they thought they could develop - but he never looked comfortable to me.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Think JOC (James O'Connor) has a niggle which prevented him from training on it.

Might see some of the U20s fill out the match day squad as well, wouldn’t be surprised for Nonggor, Vella, Flook and Thomas to feature at some point. Especially since they can’t call on players outside of the training squad, and those players are within that.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Nongor and Vella in the first team training squad?

I hope not. I hope they play premier rugby because surely Smith, Tupou, Hoopert, Nasser, Dave Feoa, Zander, Fotuaika and Jack Straker is enough coverage at prop.
Nongor definitely training with the senior squad , few called up to training outside the four already mentioned in the press, including Sam Wallis from UQ. The coach even involved in a few drills .

Don’t think it will mean they will all get a run , more bodies to train with / against maybe ?

Got to remember they are in a quarantine bubble , can’t just do an opposed run against anyone .

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nongor definitely training with the senior squad , few called up to training outside the four already mentioned in the press, including Sam Wallis from UQ. The coach even involved in a few drills .

Don’t think it will mean they will all get a run , more bodies to train with / against maybe ?

Got to remember they are in a quarantine bubble , can’t just do an opposed run against anyone .

Well If those guys can’t play premier rugby then that’s ridiculous.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Well it’s a byproduct of the quarantine restrictions.
Not sure of the current injury status of the props, but Fotuaika is still injured, prior to COVID Hoopert was struggling with a neck injury, JP Smith went down with an injury as well.

Remember Reds has Jack Straker on the bench one game due to injuries. Once the season starts again, if they have a couple of injuries to props and don’t have a wider training squad to call on, they could have the farcical outcome of uncontested scrums because they can’t call in extra players.

I’m also confident Vella and Nongor will pack more scrums training with the Reds then they would back playing QPR.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I tend to agree . If it was a full season - yes QPR over reds squad/bench. But in this situation I think its probably good to be thrust into that training environment. I imagine clubland is pretty disrupted.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Remember these restrictions are based on current COVID 19 protocols. QPR doesn't start until August (another 7 weeks) so I'd imagine that while initially these players will not be able to train with their club team protocols will change and players will be able to play QPR.