• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Mate, it's groundhog day all over again. Here's a snippet of the press release when Pulver was appointed in 2013!!
Recognise any themes?

100%. in the last decade (and more) there is little that the ARU/RA has done better than emit grandiose hot air. One gets the impression they were serious.

This esteemed body has never allowed its capacity to declaim the most impressive, lofty, 'inspiring' goals to decline, the great aspirational heights roll on relentlessly. As though reality was incidental.

Achievement ratio, objectives to as-realised, measurable outcomes: 20+:1.

My personal favourite in the trophy cabinet of sadly deflated ARU balloons has to be Pulver's early 2016 ARU 'Strategic Plan'. In it, we were headed for greatness, against almost every parameter. Bleds would be secured, the Wallabies glory-bound, the grassroots would grow exponentially, there was a profusion of rugby light going to fall on the upper hills of Australian winter sports. It must have felt great, to hold in the hand and tell it all to a credulous media.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Wayne Smith has sat down with Hamish McLennan and these are his five priorities in order:

1) Secure the financial future of Australian rugby. Essentially fixing the pro tier comp and getting a broadcast deal done.
2) investment in grassroots and club rugby
3) creating a meaningful pathway from amateur rugby to pro rugby to the Wallabies
4) innovation - lobbying for law changes and how the game is presented to the media, etc
5) allocate sufficient resources to RAs 2027 RWC bid.

I’m liking this bloke already. Now to find a CEO who can execute the above. I’m still keen on Carroll.

Frankly, what we badly need is a V'landys love child, preferably tomorrow.

The type that instead of emitting lofty goals and feel-good homilies actually gets right into the fucking mire and fixes shit up whilst taking no prisoners and making hard-nosed outcomes the final referee, not more excuses, 'consultation processes', apologies and blame-shifting.

V'landys, in a matter of months has: radically reshaped the NTL's cost base, rebuilt the clubs' confidence in the Commission, figured out what level of financial support the clubs truly needed and got it sorted, totally renegotiated large, complex media deals, arranged an emergency $200m bank loan out of the UK, and got the code playing again in record time to big viewership numbers even with no crowds. Not too bad, really.

This is the sort of person, the very calibre and type of _real_ leadership RA needs right now. Talk is the cheapest of vocations and the first test of McLennan's leadership - as distinct from impressing the softest of audiences in W Smith - is that (a) fast, real fast, he takes a leaf out of V'landys' book and (b) gets a CEO in that mould.

We don't need more lightweights, media performers, money spenders, aspiration-feeders, big talkers, and Mosman mates. We need persons of fire in the belly, grit, intensity, no bullshit, actions persons who get shit done and fast and pick up the blood and guts in the ute later on.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I mean, not to dig up old skeletons, but wern't Raelene's priorities already exactly as listed. Im pretty sure the first thing she did was shore up the junior pathways and lock in a bunch of talent that traditionally gets poached by League. She took the media rights out to tender - largely regarded the correct move (except by some perplexingly rabid News Corp fanboys), etc.

The only thing she wasn't already doing was 'fixing the pro-tier comp' and lobbying for law changes (which sound like part of the same thing).

Not particularly impressed. Sounds like more of the same.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I mean, not to dig up old skeletons, but wern't Raelene's priorities already exactly as listed. Im pretty sure the first thing she did was shore up the junior pathways and lock in a bunch of talent that traditionally gets poached by League. She took the media rights out to tender - largely regarded the correct move (except by some perplexingly rabid News Corp fanboys), etc.

The only thing she wasn't already doing was 'fixing the pro-tier comp' and lobbying for law changes (which sound like part of the same thing).

Not particularly impressed. Sounds like more of the same.

I think the issue is not so much the strategy but the ability to execute it as a bigger problem

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the issue is not so much the strategy but the ability to execute it as a bigger problem

Ummm, until recent days, RA and its prior CEO had no change strategy in key areas of Aust rugby's status quo.

Just to indulge the history-watchers: there was/is zero evidence that Raelene Castle had any meaningful strategy, intention or desire to fix Aust rugby's biggest single problem, namely: a badly broken, suicide-lurching, financially and TV and crowd failing Super Rugby pro comp as it essentially was and had been for some time.

The RA board and RC in 2019 fully endorsed SANZAAR's then trumpeted 2021+ model of an only slightly amended Super Rugby all-nations comp format. One of the amendments was, bi-annually, less home teams for Aust Super sides. Oh, and the Sunwolves departed.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ummm, until recent days, RA and its prior CEO had no change strategy in key areas of Aust rugby's status quo.

Just to indulge the history-watchers: there was/is zero evidence that Raelene Castle had any meaningful strategy, intention or desire to fix Aust rugby's biggest single problem, namely: a badly broken, suicide-lurching, financially and TV and crowd failing Super Rugby pro comp as it essentially was and had been for some time.

The RA board and RC in 2019 fully endorsed SANZAAR's then trumpeted 2021+ model of an only slightly amended Super Rugby all-nations comp format. One of the amendments was, bi-annually, less home teams for Aust Super sides. Oh, and the Sunwolves departed.

Although we're still yet to see the change strategy other than the usual motherhood statements.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Frankly, what we badly need is a V'landys love child, preferably tomorrow.

The type that instead of emitting lofty goals and feel-good homilies actually gets right into the fucking mire and fixes shit up whilst taking no prisoners and making hard-nosed outcomes the final referee, not more excuses, 'consultation processes', apologies and blame-shifting.

V'landys, in a matter of months has: radically reshaped the NTL's cost base, rebuilt the clubs' confidence in the Commission, figured out what level of financial support the clubs truly needed and got it sorted, totally renegotiated large, complex media deals, arranged an emergency $200m bank loan out of the UK, and got the code playing again in record time to big viewership numbers even with no crowds. Not too bad, really.

This is the sort of person, the very calibre and type of _real_ leadership RA needs right now. Talk is the cheapest of vocations and the first test of McLennan's leadership - as distinct from impressing the softest of audiences in W Smith - is that (a) fast, real fast, he takes a leaf out of V'landys' book and (b) gets a CEO in that mould.

We don't need more lightweights, media performers, money spenders, aspiration-feeders, big talkers, and Mosman mates. We need persons of fire in the belly, grit, intensity, no bullshit, actions persons who get shit done and fast and pick up the blood and guts in the ute later on.

I think this means someone from outside the Australian rugby cocoon. Everyone's favourite Carroll while quite capable is the classic Mosman residing Sydney GPS old boy and one doubts that however good his intentions that he'll be able to take on the cronies and vested interests.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think some of you guys are just determined to bag out whoever is in the top job. Now, I have no idea at this stage whether McLennan is the right guy or not (hard to see him being worse than Clyne), but what do you expect him to say when asked what his objectives are? At least he's got some goals, has to be a start. What to you expect him to say " have no fkn idea Wayne, probably just get the good seats at games till everyone realises I've got no idea and I get the flick for the next muppet'.

The test is what he delivers, I have no problem with him setting goals. Ay least with stated goals, we have something the judge him against.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think some of you guys are just determined to bag out whoever is in the top job. Now, I have no idea at this stage whether McLennan is the right guy or not (hard to see him being worse than Clyne), but what do you expect him to say when asked what his objectives are? At least he's got some goals, has to be a start. What to you expect him to say " have no fkn idea Wayne, probably just get the good seats at games till everyone realises I've got no idea and I get the flick for the next muppet'.

The test is what he delivers, I have no problem with him setting goals. Ay least with stated goals, we have something the judge him against.
I wasn't trying to bag him. Just pointing out that nothing he has said means much or is anything to be particularly excited about.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

We all expect him to say pretty much what he said. The point being made was that we've essentially heard exactly the same statements before and we'll reserve judgement until we see what actually happens.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We all expect him to say pretty much what he said. The point being made was that we've essentially heard exactly the same statements before and we'll reserve judgement until we see what actually happens.

Vanilla chair. Yey. (Not)

pnut

Watty Friend (18)

After 12000 some posts can you say anything positive about rugby. Your answer to everything thing is replicate 5 tackle kick. You sure your not a rugby league commentator or journalist.??? Way to constantly talk up touch footy

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
After 12000 some posts can you say anything positive about rugby. Your answer to everything thing is replicate 5 tackle kick. You sure your not a rugby league commentator or journalist.??? Way to constantly talk up touch footy

Don't know why you feel so threatened by someone with different views. Hope you've read all 12,000 posts, sounds like you might learn something.;)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In the Weekend Oz McLennan is quoted as saying, inter alia, "the Australian Club championship would become a formal competition, not a hastily arranged match between the Sydney and Brisbane premiers. The trick will be to organise a structure that does not lead to haves and have-nots". Errr, yes. It will be some trick. Some of us have spent considerable time and energy trying to solve this conundrum.

And then I thought, how about something along the lines of the FA Cup? There would have to be some criteria for admittance: obviously a reasonable ground, a history of involvement in a recognised club competition, a minimum number of financial supporters, sponsors, financial stability.

How about this for a starting point? Maybe the first few rounds would be intra-city, to save on costs, then the quarters, semis, and final would be in the home city of the more successful of the competitors on agreed criteria (tries scored, points differential, whatever).

I would envisage all games taking place on Saturday arvos.

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
In the Weekend Oz McLennan is quoted as saying, inter alia, "the Australian Club championship would become a formal competition, not a hastily arranged match between the Sydney and Brisbane premiers. The trick will be to organise a structure that does not lead to haves and have-nots". Errr, yes. It will be some trick. Some of us have spent considerable time and energy trying to solve this conundrum.

And then I thought, how about something along the lines of the FA Cup? There would have to be some criteria for admittance: obviously a reasonable ground, a history of involvement in a recognised club competition, a minimum number of financial supporters, sponsors, financial stability.

How about this for a starting point? Maybe the first few rounds would be intra-city, to save on costs, then the quarters, semis, and final would be in the home city of the more successful of the competitors on agreed criteria (tries scored, points differential, whatever).

I would envisage all games taking place on Saturday arvos.

While the teams from Sydney and Brisbane best of is great don’t we have other competitions in state’s that should be included as well ?