• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
We could field a XV of just overseas locks. Add in Skelton, Timani, Coleman, Arnold x 2. They're some very talented players we're missing.

Honestly would opening up Wallaby selection from overseas change that much at this stage.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We could field a XV of just overseas locks. Add in Skelton, Timani, Coleman, Arnold x 2. They're some very talented players we're missing.

Honestly would opening up Wallaby selection from overseas change that much at this stage.

I'd open selections till the end of 2021.

Given overseas opportunities are actually contracting, we should also look at reducing the Giteau law

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I remember sitting at the Test v Scotland 3 years ago today at Allianz with a few other of the GAGR faithful (Reg, BaaBaa and Gagger from memory) and watching the warm-ups and making this same observation. Scotland ran a slick, accurate warm-up; few errors. The Wallabies were loose, throwing passes behind / in front / over each other; aimless kicks etc...
It did not end well that day.

facebook tells me it was 3 years ago today!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If I was RA I wouldn't offer Rodda a cent. He already walked out on a good contract. He can sign for province money.

Good to see him working as a chippy now. Getting a good grounding on the real world I am sure.

Not sure what percentage Picone gets for this gig though.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Deep down, Chubby was very shallow.

He unarguably did some very good work whilst at the Tahs. No doubt. Results.

That proved to be his level stop. Wallabies HC was a promotion too far, after the tragedy of Link walking away.

Not only that, it's clear his ego then enlarged further and his domineering 'my way or the highway' MO froze his capacity to learn, listen, and gain from other competencies around him.

The Wallabies job was bad for him and all else associated with it. And the end outcome last November was unforgivable.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

That proved to be his level stop. Wallabies HC was a promotion too far, after the tragedy of Link walking away.

Not only that, it's clear his ego then enlarged further and his domineering 'my way or the highway' MO froze his capacity to learn, listen, and gain from other competencies around him.

The Wallabies job was bad for him and all else associated with it. And the end outcome last November was unforgivable.

WE did not, at the time, see, to have a lot of alternatives. Though I don't understand why we persisted.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Let's not forget the good work he did in the 2015 RWC.
Defeated England, Wales, Scotland, and Argentina on the way to the RWC final.
Geeze any coach would be happy to have that montage in the pool room.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Let's not forget the good work he did in the 2015 RWC.
Defeated England, Wales, Scotland, and Argentina on the way to the RWC final.
Geeze any coach would be happy to have that montage in the pool room.

Yes, in a way, OK. But, too, an element of 2015 was also in subtle ways a complex version of fool's gold for MC and RA in that (a) if we look closely, he had some top grade luck on his side in that RWC 2015 campaign, England an absolute mediocre mess, Wales - no improvement, and Scotland was just won by whisker in a final ref's call that many neutral observers still consider a Joubert error.......

....the (b) is that GF No 2 outcome conspired to convince RA and all and sundry MC walked on water and no one should doubt a word he said or the judgements he made. This late 2015 adulation-soaked vibe around him and its acceleration of his ego turned out to be: not good in the end.

Moving quickly to the England in Aust series in winter 2016. Have a look closely at that then-unparalleled disaster for the Wallabies and many of Cheika's flaws as a tactician and team preparer started to show prominently.

Nothing really of marked substance in his national level HC skills or attainments improved from then on to November 2019.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think there is any point be revisionist about it. Cheika and the Wallabies excelled beyond expectations at RWC15 and that bought Cheika a lot of breathing room.

I think a more fruitful reflection is to assess the type of manager that he was and determine how he managed to get such short term success out of a relatively low quality team, and then turn that completely on it's head and bring that team even lower than it was prior to his initial success.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I hope that the Giteau law will be changed to 15 caps:

1. Sio
2. F Fainga'a
3. A Ala'alatoa
4. Rory Arnold
5. Skelton
6. P Samu
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. N White
10. To'omua
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Hodge
15. Haylett-Petty

16. A Mafi
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Salakai-Loto
20. H Wilson
21. McDermott
22. J O'Connor
23. Banks

+ Rodda in the squad if playing rugby somewhere

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)

1. Sio
2. F Fainga'a
3. A Ala'alatoa
4. Rory Arnold
5. Skelton
6. P Samu
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. N White
10. To'omua
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Hodge
15. Haylett-Petty

16. A Mafi
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Salakai-Loto
20. H Wilson
21. McDermott
22. J O'Connor
23. Banks

A very solid looking team!

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

1. Sio
2. F Fainga'a
3. A Ala'alatoa
4. Rory Arnold
5. Skelton
6. P Samu
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. N White
10. To'omua
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Hodge
15. Haylett-Petty

16. A Mafi
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Salakai-Loto
20. H Wilson
21. McDermott
22. J O'Connor
23. Banks

Would pick Coleman ahead of Skelton.

Skelton has never performed at international level, mainly cause of how lazy he was in Australia. Has looked good at Saracens but not good enough to walk onto a Wallabies side. I think it helps him playing alongside one of the best locks in the World.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm struggling to see how we will play with any of Dave Rennie's "brutality" without lowering the Giteau law to at least 15 caps. We need Skelton, Rory Arnold and Kerevi. Maybe even lower it to 1 cap to make Naiyaravoro eligible?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I'm struggling to see how we will play with any of Dave Rennie's "brutality" without lowering the Giteau law to at least 15 caps. We need Skelton, Rory Arnold and Kerevi. Maybe even lower it to 1 cap to make Naiyaravoro eligible?

Out of those names, the only one I would really want is Arnold. Locks is light.

Wallabies best games in the last season had TK at 13, not Kerevi at 12. Fact is you can't play both and the back line looks better with someone on the inside who can pass the ball.

Naiyaravoro is no where near the top two Wallabies wings, Koroibete and anyone playing Super Rugby this season would be a better call.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Out of those names, the only one I would really want is Arnold. Locks is light.

Wallabies best games in the last season had TK at 13, not Kerevi at 12. Fact is you can't play both and the back line looks better with someone on the inside who can pass the ball.

Naiyaravoro is no where near the top two Wallabies wings, Koroibete and anyone playing Super Rugby this season would be a better call.

Id take Skelton, too.

We should never have capped Big T. Wasn't fair on him, though it probably bumped his asking price in Europe a bit.