• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Poor development pathways are a major issue and it's not only players, it's the coaches who aren't being developed.

Of the 5 professional coaches in the Australian system we currently have 4 who learnt their trade overseas; Penney (NZ), Rennie (NZ), Thorn (NZ) and Dave Wessels (SA). That's 80% to 20%.

If we add the Force's Tim Sampson it's 2 out of 6 who've come through Australia or 33% to 66%.

We're simply not producing either players or coaches of sufficient quality in sufficient quantity to be at the very top of international rugby.

Even when we look at some of our better players in recent times we have players who can't pass both ways, can't defend in the line in their playing position and can't kick when they are playing in positions where this has always been considered a core skill. All of these guys have been in the Aust pro development system since their teens.

100% and if anything it's the paucity of the coaching development pathways that is the even bigger problem. The jury is well and truly in - rugby is a code whose playing standards and player skill development are deeply reliant on competent coaching both technical and in terms of holistic team development and preparedness.

In fact, IMO it can be argued that in Australian rugby, even today, we have an effective surplus of talented rugby players in relation to the calibre and experience of the coaches required to further guide and develop them. This fact has led to major problems of our global team competitiveness and squad depths. This issue may in fact be our biggest single 'hidden from plain sight' core code-wide problem.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Hasn't the news taken a far more positive tone in the last month or so?!?

We're discussing future comps, World Cups, actual rugby, and other general positive plans for the future.

No longer do we have journos digging through the books from years past, airing the views of disgruntled stakeholders, and making scary prognostications about the future of the game.

The Newscorp/RUPA/old guard campaign to get Raelene is an easy explanation for why this has occurred, but surely it's not that simple.

There is no element at all via which Raelene 'got herself'?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting interview by Nick McArdle on Rob Clarke. Definitely worth the listen.

https://play.acast.com/s/the-playmakers-playbook/robclarke

Thanks John S. I did listen to it. Clarke emanates a genuineness and sincerity that resonates. An honest bloke loving the game and working hard for it.

However, it has to win the prize for the softest, gentlest, "let's leave all the hard questions for later" type of CEO interview. The vibe and Q&A is almost that Aust rugby currently has a few minor-ish problems that good will, good communication and "pulling the rugby community together" will soon overcome.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks John S. I did listen to it. Clarke emanates a genuineness and sincerity that resonates. An honest bloke loving the game and working hard for it.

However, it has to win the prize for the softest, gentlest, "let's leave all the hard questions for later" type of CEO interview. The vibe and Q&A is almost that Aust rugby currently has a few minor-ish problems that good will, good communication and "pulling the rugby community together" will soon overcome.

listened the podcast, and my thoughts exactly.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)

Yeah, I got that impression too. I don't think I've ever heard Nick McArdle do a really tough interview though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, I got that impression too. I don't think I've ever heard Nick McArdle do a really tough interview though.

Nor have I and yet for years he has been the rugby presenter on Foxtel where he has presented an overwhelmingly positive spin on everything to do with Australian rugby. And yet some here want to present News and Foxtel as being the architects of a grand scheme to destroy rugby in Australia.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nor have I and yet for years he has been the rugby presenter on Foxtel where he has presented an overwhelmingly positive spin on everything to do with Australian rugby. And yet some here want to present News and Foxtel as being the architects of a grand scheme to destroy rugby in Australia.

stop being obtuse. They obviously dragged rugby through the mud to drive down bidding prices and provide disincentives for competitors to bid.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Stop dealing in falsehoods
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F01%2F02%2F11%2F49%2Fwow-meme.gif

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Major conflation, coupled with a straw man.........

Reactions: dru

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)

I don’t know about destroy but I don’t really know how a concerted agenda of destabilisation can be denied. During the Castle coup, the previously unknown and invisible (to me and many others at least) ‘chief sports writer’ Jessica Halloran seemingly emerged out of nowhere with coup-compliant hit piece after hit piece, supported with backgrounding from some key figures. A frenzy of News retweets from Pandaram et al always swiftly followed. The coup crushed, and some semblance of stability set in place (McLellan, Clarke etc), and Halloran has returned to the state she was in a few months ago - utterly absent and invisible. If no agenda was in place surely she’d still be continuing in her newfound rugby beat and reporting revised comp/2020 broadcast deal/global calendar/Super Rugby NZ news? But no. She flamed out when the coup did.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)

If we had tough journalists that held rugby administrators to account we would have a far better game in Australia. Look at the missing money from the Brumbies a few years back. Forensic Accountants report not release, Australian Federal Police report not released, ACT Sports Commission covered it up and not a word from the media especially elements of Foxtel.