• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
My mole tells me the Headmasters meeting to be held shortly will address if a comp should go ahead with the Amazing Dr Lambert pushing for it and other headmasters more hesitatant to proceed. Again this is what my source tells me.
I heard on the the grapevine that Scots have done a lot of training during the recent months. If correct, I'm sure the school would want to play.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Gather following

Aug 22 gps Rnd 1
Sept 19 gps Rnd 5

July 25th and Aug 1st internal trials

Aug 8th and 15th official gps trial games

Also heard Freddy Fiddler son is trialing with $cots squad

Altgh probably still bit young to be a serious chance

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
AAGPS Back to Sports Notice – 12/6/2020

AAGPS Sports Update 12 June 2020

The AAGPS Chairman, Mr Mark Ticehurst, in consultation with the GPS Headmasters’ standing Committee, wishes to provide the following update regarding the return to GPS sporting programmes in 2020:

The designated re-commencement of sport is in Term 3, with Athletics to be held from 25 July 2020, and all other winter inter-school sports fixtures to commence no earlier than 8 August 2020.

Details regarding the final schedule of the Athletics Championships, the Rifle Shooting Championships, the schedule of all other winter sport competitions, and information regarding spectators will be provided once more Government and Health guidelines are released by the relevant sources in the coming weeks.

The AAGPS is committed to a safe return to sport for all students, staff, volunteers and our many families and friends in our wider communities. The return to sport will be accompanied by an AAGPS “Return to Sport Guidelines”, the details of which will be determined in consultation with the relevant authorities. A detailed risk management framework, cognisant of the COVID-19 environment, will guide the resumption of all sports and associated events over the coming season.

The AAGPS acknowledges that advice and the current situation has, and will continue to change rapidly. As the situation evolves, the AAGPS will continue to monitor, and act accordingly throughout the remainder of 2020.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Scots season

Aug 8 trial v Joeys (away)
Aug 15 trial v Kings (home)
Aug 22 Round 1 v New (home)
Aug 29 Round 2 v Joeys (home)
Sep 5 Round 3 v Kings (away)
Sep 12 Round 4 v Shore (home)
Sept 19 Round 5 v Riverview (away)

Curious to know other draws and whether any trials v CAS schools?
Had hope to see Waves v Joeys

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Scots season

The CAS announced way back at the start of Covid that CAS schools wouldn't be playing against GPS or ISA schools. I think all three associations have proceeded on the basis of a 1 round competition and nothing more.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Correct FF (Folau Fainga'a), the boys in Gold and Blue have been training and ready to take the title from the boys in Pink and the Joker.

Well if Sonny Dill's draw is correct I will be at Bellevue Hill on 29 August to cheer on the Cerise & Blue from my usual spot behind the western try line. Very exciting.
INP.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Scots season

My sources tell me that Scots have been training very hard and a high quality outfit is taking shape.
Always happy to tackle Newington early in the competition when their pack carries a few extra kilos!

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
. Last year Newington changed its style of play from a power game built around crash and bash forward play, to a more enjoyable and expansive game.
My sources tell me that Scots have been training very hard and a high quality outfit is taking shape.
Always happy to tackle Newington early in the competition when their pack carries a few extra kilos!
Hello Wristman
Last year Newington changed its style of play from a power game built around crash and bash forward play, to a more enjoyable and expansive game. This is still a work in progress. So the Newington style of play, could be unexpectedly different this year. Time will tell.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well if Sonny Dill's draw is correct I will be at Bellevue Hill on 29 August to cheer on the Cerise & Blue from my usual spot behind the western try line.

The "western try line", que? Doesn't the Scots ground run north/south?, the Cranbrook/Harbour end being the northern try line. And Joeys supporters usually gather over on the eastern side. Doubt if I could find you, INP.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
The "western try line", que? Doesn't the Scots ground run north/south?, the Cranbrook/Harbour end being the northern try line. And Joeys supporters usually gather over on the eastern side. Doubt if I could find you, INP.

Yes sorry Lindommer, you are absolutely correct. I am referring to the northern try line. Geography was never my strong point.:confused:

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Thought I'd ask before any rugby is played in Term 3. A couple of questions regarding refereeing of AAGPS games.

1. How are referee's allocated to each game ?

2. Does the school (who is playing at home) have any say in these allocations ?

3. Does the referee of an A grade game (u13's to u16's) have different qualifications/experience to a referee of a C or D grade game. Is it the same for 8th/9th XV thru to 1st XV ?

4. Are current or old boys allowed to referee games involving their own school ?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thought I'd ask before any rugby is played in Term 3. A couple of questions regarding refereeing of AAGPS games.

1. How are referee's allocated to each game ?

2. Does the school (who is playing at home) have any say in these allocations ?

3. Does the referee of an A grade game (u13's to u16's) have different qualifications/experience to a referee of a C or D grade game. Is it the same for 8th/9th XV thru to 1st XV ?

4. Are current or old boys allowed to referee games involving their own school ?
Several years ago the answers would have been:
1. 1st XV NSW Rugby Referees Association allocates the ref.
2-4. Home school with assistance of local Rugby Referees Association allocates all other games. Therefore the ref could be an enthusiastic non-affiliated local ref, or a young bloke from the school who refs instead of playing, or a teacher with a refs ticket, or an Old Boy with a ticket, or a dad with a ticket.
In short, anyone with a pulse, a whistle, and a refereeing qualification.
Obviously the more experienced refs get the A team games.

Be interested to see if much has changed since my involvement.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not much has changed. Many years ago (say, 50) the First XV coach at one school insisted the Firsts get a referee's ticket and ref a junior match early on Saturday morning. It had the dual effect of making some of the boofheads learn the laws as well as connecting the Ones to the 13Gs. And they had to wear their Firsts socks.

During my involvement at said school the referees' co-ordinator specifically wanted older men to ref the lower opens, as testosterone-charged 16/17 year old youths tended to challenge inexperienced, younger refs, especially those below them in the same school. A firm hand was certainly required for those fixtures!

Home schools usually provided all refs apart from Firsts and Seconds. Young fellas wanting to take up the whistle were always encouraged at all schools and generally did the lower grades in the younger age groups.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not much has changed. Many years ago (say, 50) the First XV coach at one school insisted the Firsts get a referee's ticket and ref a junior match early on Saturday morning. It had the dual effect of making some of the boofheads learn the laws as well as connecting the Ones to the 13Gs. And they had to wear their Firsts socks.

During my involvement at said school the referees' co-ordinator specifically wanted older men to ref the lower opens, as testosterone-charged 16/17 year old youths tended to challenge inexperienced, younger refs, especially those below them in the same school. A firm hand was certainly required for those fixtures!

Home schools usually provided all refs apart from Firsts and Seconds. Young fellas wanting to take up the whistle were always encouraged at all schools and generally did the lower grades in the younger age groups.
One young ref from Scots was so good he ended up with a NSW Refs scholarship and several years doing Grade.
1st XV reffing the 13Gs is off the table these days so a full rest can be had on game day.
Professionalism has its swings and roundabouts.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Re referees and school

While I gather top fixtures.. 1sts to 3rds get proper fully NSW rugby senior referees

Beyond that I think it varies by school

Some schools like Joeys it is all very in house, while others I gather lean on the various regional rugby associations

Re crowds ... hearing that in event that there are crowd restrictions then some schools will livestream

Possibly trying to charge fees .. as after all , some of these schools have become money machines

And always building that building fund...to erect the next ca$tle

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Re referees and school

While I gather top fixtures.. 1sts to 3rds get proper fully NSW rugby senior referees

Beyond that I think it varies by school

Some schools like Joeys it is all very in house, while others I gather lean on the various regional rugby associations

Re crowds . hearing that in event that there are crowd restrictions then some schools will livestream

Possibly trying to charge fees .. as after all , some of these schools have become money machines

And always building that building fund.to erect the next ca$tle
The next castle has already been paid for by old boys........

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
haven't gone over the last few pages, but what is the crowd plan for this comp in Sydney? Just interested to compare about plans for QLD.