• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I would love to see Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) have a run at fullback at some time. Might give him the space he needs to roam and continue what he showed in the highlanders trial

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Given he hasn’t turned up at the Force I’m tipping Horwitz to fill the hole. And yes Maddocks to 15.

KB (Kurtley Beale) was on a boat party on Friday hosted by Alan Jones, and given the other attendees it looks like he might be starting a career in politics.

Any rumours of Horwitz returning?

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
With Fitzpatrick and now Beale leaving early that is a lot of experience gone. Time for a few young guns to get their shot and hopefully build to the future.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
With Fitzpatrick and now Beale leaving early that is a lot of experience gone. Time for a few young guns to get their shot and hopefully build to the future.

Unfortunately a host of experienced and class players left last year but were replaced by local players and youngsters who just weren't up to scratch. Too much experience, size and class went to quickly and all at once. No chance for development, only the deep end and they drowned.

Some young promising options in the Backrow and 9/10, but its the Tight 5 and Back 3 where we run into problems. The coach when he came in said they need a proper THP, an enforcer lock/8, a go forward centre/wing. Basically replacements for Kepu, Skelton, Palu & Naiyaravoro.

Tahs best hooker is Abel. That is a problem and there is no epic young gun waiting in the wings. THP an issue as well with HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) not really a scrum pig, but a promising teenager in the wings in Tauakipulu. Locks are a problem also with no muscle- hopefully the 2 younger guys they have get a crack at u20 but I think they missed out this year. Are they the specimens that the Tahs desperately need? Hope so

Centres is concerning. Godwin is good but so is Hunt. It's the 13 that is the problem with Foketi, Moeroa and Newsome just ...average. Outside backs looks young and speedy with Ramm, Reilly, Nawaqa, Maddocks, Clark but very very light. With no punch in the middle either. It was/is a problem in 2020 and looks like it will continue to be a problem.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ed Craig?

Only 23 and has the build for it! The Reds only got him on Injury replacement for BPA, with their normal 3rd option Sean Farrell, local product bumped down the list behind him or injured not sure. Interesting that the Rebels did the same - brought in a Injury replacement (Misa) who ended up ranking higher then their development players (Moore)

Declan Moore & Tom Horton are same age, both Sydney based - both got offered contracts (Tahs & Rebels). Was Craig not rated? Not available? Full time teaching/coaching gig at Barker would pay a fair chunk more then a minimum Super Rugby contract.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
While a lot of these players got a constant bagging on these threads, the loss of Beale, Fitzpatrick, Kepu, Foley and Phipps is just a massive loss in experience, in most cases replaced by a guy who, however promising, hasn't played a minute of super rugby prior to this year.
To consider the next twelve months as anything but a re-build is delusional. While mostly on the same page as UTR on this, I disagree on a couple of points. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was scrummaging fine for a bloke his age, the setback this year has been having him change sides. I think it's early too write him off yet. Also, we haven't seen nearly enough of Moeroa to write him off at the top level yet.
In the forwards, it has to be getting time to give Harris and Tafa a run. They may not be quite ready, but hoping for any better than we've seen from the likes of Holloway or Staniforth is optimism that's vert hard to justify.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
In the forwards, it has to be getting time to give Harris and Tafa a run. They may not be quite ready, but hoping for any better than we've seen from the likes of Holloway or Staniforth is optimism that's vert hard to justify.

Holloway just hasn't continued with those glimpses of potential he showed a year or so back. I'd really hoped that stint in Ireland would have refreshed him but I'm not sure he'll step up. Him and the other forwards really struggled against the likes of teams like the Chiefs earlier this year. Poor Harrison put in an admirable performance behind a poor pack.

Tafa seems to have a lot of promise. Had decent impact at the Waratah's A level, so it'll be interesting to see if he can keep developing, fully step up to the next level. His limited runs off the bench have been ok, so its early days.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Harris was preferred to Wilson at No 8 for the U20s. Wilson has proved to be Super-ready. I see no reason why Harris shouldn't also be ready and why he shouldn't take the starting No 8 spot.
Yeah particularly as Dempsey hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Harris was preferred to Wilson at No 8 for the U20s. Wilson has proved to be Super-ready. I see no reason why Harris shouldn't also be ready and why he shouldn't take the starting No 8 spot.

Hopefully we'll get to see him get a couple of runs in AU SuperRugby. I guess there has been the ongoing hope that Dempsey would find some of that Bledisloe Cup form he had before that ill fated Barbarians game. Swinton had shown some good promise too at times. It's just consistent performance not even between games but often even within a game that we need.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hopefully we'll get to see him get a couple of runs in AU SuperRugby. I guess there has been the ongoing hope that Dempsey would find some of that Bledisloe Cup form he had before that ill fated Barbarians game. Swinton had shown some good promise too at times. It's just consistent performance not even between games but often even within a game that we need.
Even before that game - he's never been that great for the Tahs. His best (a long time ago) was in Gold.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah particularly as Dempsey hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

Thats a bit tough. Ive seen him with matches and a petrol can.

I do think the injury in the Barbarians game set him back big time. But no way would I write him off, think he still has plenty to contribute. He along with Swinton and Hooper is not the shabbiest back row.