• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2020

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Rugby Wrap S 1 Ep 15 with Barry Honan and Marcel Brache.

June 24, 2020 - Mitch Hardy, Heath Tessmann and Mick Colliss

Former Wallaby Barry Honan (1964 - 2 tests) explains the need for simple law changes to re-engage the fans while Western Force speedster Marcel Brache enjoys Tea Time with Tess.

Barry Honan reviewed the need for simple law changes in collaboration with Andrew Slack (1978-1987 - 39 tests), Greg Cornelsen (1974-1982 - 25 tests), Dick Marks (1962-1967 - 17 tests), David Clarke (GPS Old Boys, Qld, 1978-1988 - Qld Dir of Coaching), Rod Macqueen (Coach - Waratahs, Brumbies, Wallabies, Rebels) and Ian Smith (analyst/observer of rugby).

Barry Honan makes reference to a series of YouTube videos titles Rugby Must Change/Rugby Can Change.

Barry Honan doesn't speak glowingly about his contact/feedback (or lack of) with Scott Johnson - AR's Director of Rugby.

Barry Honan talks about some changes to be trialled in Qld Club Rugby when games restart:
  • defence line 5m from breakdown
  • reducing penalties with more free kicks
  • no scrum or lineout within 10m of try line
  • scrum or rolling mall can't be driven >5m.
Plenty of food for thought and discussion.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Barry Honan doesn't speak glowingly about his contact/feedback (or lack of) with Scott Johnson - AR's Director of Rugby.
This DoR position, what is he on, $500k?, shouldn't have been created.

The Scots couldn't wait for RA to take this bloke off their hands. The game is on its knees while multiple guys are pulling big salaries to, put it kindly, do overlapping jobs.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
SUPER RUGBY VETERAN CALLS TIME

June 26, 2020

Western Force flanker Chris Alcock has today announced his retirement from rugby.

The 32-year-old South African made the difficult decision to hang up his boots after a highly rewarding albeit injury-filled, 11-year career.

Read more.............

Also

Western Force flanker Chris Alcock set to announce retirement today
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Friday, 26 June 2020

Uncompromising flanker Chris Alcock has played his last game for Western Force.
The tough openside, who has had two spells at the Force, will announce his retirement today.

He was the first player signed in 2013 by then coach Michael Foley who also launched his Super Rugby career at the Waratahs, plucking him from the Shute Shield where he was playing for the Gordon club.
Alcock played in every game that season but managed just three matches the following year after needing surgery to fix a shoulder he injured against the Waratahs in the opening round.

Injuries limited him to just 30 games in four seasons before he left for the Brumbies and a spell in Japan, but he was one of the first players to re-sign for the Force when they were saved by billionaire Andrew Forrest after the controversial axing by Rugby Australia.
He had an excellent World Series Rugby campaign and his National Rugby Championship form had coach Tim Sampson saying he should have been a bolter for Australia’s November tour of Europe.
In the 2019 Global Rapid Rugby showcase series he fractured an eye socket and then needed knee and ankle surgery after damage in the NRC campaign. He recovered, was ready for the GRR season that was mothballed after one round because of the Coronavirus crisis, and was training ahead of the new Super season.

But it seems injuries have made the decision for him.
Alcock scored a memorable first try for the Force in the opening game of the 2015 season, the shock 25-13 win over reigning champions Waratahs at Allianz Stadium.

He said that once captain Matt Hodgson - who he had to play behind for a long time - had retired and pulled on a suit he wouldn’t be able to compare battle wounds.
“I’d hate to think how many stitches we had between us," he said.
"I had over 100 in the face before I decided I didn’t want to keep count any more.”

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good to see Greg and Kyle out of CV19 quarantine and back on the training track in WF blue.

105494412_3121003474605047_6347967369547804952_o.jpg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't underestimate youthful Force: Thrush
Justin Chadwick - Central West Daily/AAP - 29 June 2020

Former All Blacks lock Jeremy Thrush believes the Western Force's raft of youngsters will blossom in Australia's new domestic rugby competition......................

But the odds are still well and truly stacked against the Force, not that Thrush is paying much attention to the dire predictions.
"We're not here just to be invited to make up numbers so that there's an extra game on TV," Thrush said.
"We're here to push ourselves and compete to win."
The Force have a bye in round one, before opening their campaign against the Waratahs in Sydney on July 11.

Read more...............

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force owner Andrew Forrest gives $5 million boost to grass roots rugby in WA
Nick Taylor - The West Australia - Monday, 29 June 2020

WA rugby has received a massive $5 million boost from mining magnate and Western Force owner Andrew Forrest. Forrest and wife Nicola have committed the money over five years to create a grassroots-to-elite pathways program. The funding comes on top of $2 million they have already committed to women’s and children’s rugby in the state.

Former Force and Wallabies legend David Pocock has signed on as founding ambassador of the program.

Forrest saved the Force and created Global Rapid Rugby when Rugby Australia refused his $70 million offer to keep the club alive after the governing body controversially axed them from Super Rugby three years ago.

The $7 million is the largest contribution to grassroots rugby in the state’s history and one of the largest private contributions to grassroots sports in Australia. It will see a major expansion of the Rugby Roos program for girls and boys aged 5 to 12, increase rugby participation within WA public high schools and create a strong and highly competitive schools competition.

“We aim to flip the priorities of rugby, to make the sport stronger,” Forrest said.
“This is about building and supporting our passionate rugby community, the young players, the mums
and dads, the schools, the clubs, the volunteers, and making Western Australia a true rugby heartland."
"We plan to make this a great rugby state, a real powerhouse, with far more locally grown players."
“Nicola and I firmly believe we need to grow this from the ground up."
"Our ambition is to provide young talent with the skills, support, competition and a clear pathway to the highest level of the game, feeding into the Western Force men’s and Rugby WA women’s professional teams."
“We have a clear vision to shape an exceptional rugby product within WA, rather than our talented youth looking to eastern states or overseas for opportunities.”

Pocock made his debut for the Force in 2006, played 69 games for the club and made 83 appearances for the Wallabies, nine as captain.
"The Western Force gave me an incredible opportunity to begin my professional career as a 17-year-old,” the former flanker said.
“I loved my seven years in Perth, getting to see the game grow and being embraced by Western Australians and the Sea of Blue."
"I'm excited to have this opportunity to give back to the WA rugby community and see the next generation of Western Australians enjoying the game."
"This generous investment in the game will help grow the sport and provide pathways to the highest levels of competition for girls and boys.”

The program is also backed by former Wallaby captains, amongst them Michael Lynagh and Simon Poidevin.
“I’m thrilled to see this exciting initiative by the Forrest's, which I enthusiastically support, as rugby is all about community," Lynagh said.
"We have so much potential sporting ability in Australia which needs to be encouraged, nurtured and developed. Such an ambitious grassroots program in Western Australia deserves to be applauded."

Poidevin: said: “This is an amazingly generous and visionary investment in the game by Andrew and Nicola, an investment in the game in WA and the young kids who will be the stars of the future."
"Strong rugby in the west is vital to Australia as it works to regain its position amongst the top rugby nations in the world."

Rugby WA chief executive Bob Hunter said: “We fully support this fantastic initiative."
"The generous support of Andrew and Nicola Forrest, and their passion for building great communities and grass roots rugby right here in WA, will benefit young people all across the State for decades to come."

The program launches State-wide next year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
interesting....Frisby always had potential. Super skillful but loved a good time. Not unlike Andrew Ready and now they are together again. 4 scrumhalves in the squad now?

Pek adds more experience of course. Loves that club too doesn't he? Good to see him back getting another stint. How many props now?

Do we know if they've been back in the country for a while or will there be a 2 week stand down for them? I assume Pickle will at least.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
From the article.

"Having travelled to Australia from overseas, Cowan will quarantine in Sydney and join the team at their NSW hub. Already in Brisbane, Frisby will join the team when they arrive in Sydney for round 2."

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force Team List as at 2 July 2020

Currently 40 players + Jonah Placid (injured - knee)

Wonder of there's more to come??

2020-07-03_7-50-51.jpg