• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Is there anyone here that wouldn’t actually watch it though?

I suspect if anyone is going to get it to work it’ll be V’landys (the horse racing guy).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would undoubtedly be a huge moneyspinner as a one-off event.

The problem of getting it to happen has always been that it's very hard to come up with a hybrid set of rules that doesn't massively favour league because you end up removing the aspects that make rugby rugby.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It will never get off the ground because of the conflict between interpretations of head high tackle.
All other issues with laws can be negotiated but that one will never be agreed.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It will never get off the ground because of the conflict between interpretations of head high tackle.
All other issues with laws can be negotiated but that one will never be agreed.

I reckon there would be a few other areas of difficulty. But try as I might, I simply cannot see something like this as anything other than a circus act. I would like to see a genuine hybrid code, but this sort of nonsense is just hucksterism of the worst sort.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
All Blacks and Kangaroos considering some type of abomination of a game!

This has to be the new low for Australian Rugby and the ultimate and unforgivable shame that previous administrators have brought to the game.

How some of these previous administrators continue to have roles in public life amazes me. I will never invest in companies associated with Michael Hawker, John O’Niell, Bill Pulver, John Eales, Ann Sherry, Cameron Clyne, Elizabeth Broderick, Brett Robinson etc

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hate the idea, not sure how true it is etc, I know everyone is desperate for money etc, but apparently they have talked before, not sure how seriously, and Robinson has said the idea has been mooted but NZR is putting rugby internationals as main criteria.
The quotes of nzru and mal meaninga make it true being discussed - not happy about this - just another nail in Australian rugby if it goes ahead

My take if was to go ahead means trans Tasman competition is dead

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The quotes of nzru and mal meaninga make it true being discussed - not happy about this - just another nail in Australian rugby if it goes ahead

I do understand why this is so? The Bledisloes will go ahead as usual from what I have read. This event will be a farce, a one-off, a circus sideshow. I for one am glad that our national team is not involved in something as tawdry as this.

The only nail in Australian rugby will be if the ABs get badly rolled.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)

No but we have to promise some plum revenue raising WC games for 2027.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Shock, horror, less than 24 hours after the idea was floated its as good as dead in the water

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nz...l-blacks-hybrid-showdown-20200625-p5563r.html

Although not everyone is as pessimistic.

Former New Zealand rugby coach Steve Hansen has been consulted on constructing a set of rules to ensure a Kangaroos-All Blacks hybrid game would be a trans-Tasman sporting success. The Courier-Mail has exclusively obtained the rules for the proposed Kangaroos-All Blacks showdown - dubbed ‘HISTORY’ - which would be played on Saturday, December 5 this year.
Hansen, the ex-All Blacks coach, has recommended a 14-a-side game - the perfect compromise between rugby league’s 13 players and the 15 which take part in rugby union.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
World Rugby of course would be so happy for this to go ahead as yes let’s support promoting league to the world!!!!

Similar games have been played before and they've had zero impact on either game. They tend to simply confirm people's existing preferences.

It's purely a money making venture.

What's probably more concerning is that the NRL have completely brushed RA and gone to NZRU, which means that Australian rugby doesn't get a share of the windfall.

EDIT: I'll leave people to draw their own conclusions as to why this is so.;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yep, I think we maybe getting ahead of ourselves, apparently it has been discussed a few times and if you get an approach, I assume you have to discuss it, seems none is actually talked to each other, just an idea at moment, a bloody terrible one I might add, I know everyone needs money after Covid 19, but promoting league is not the way to do it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
985EB84E-4851-4A95-8D23-F3DE922AAA21.png