• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
the three Reds boys leaving looked bad... but since we've had Henry and Blake go. If the outbreak in Vic delays the prospect of a TT, and as a result a new broadcast deal - we will see plenty more leave.

the last bit of good cash inflow will come from the 4 bled tests they are planning - at the moment that will only happen if NZ let our team in the country. The longer the Vic situation lasts, the harder it will be to get the kiwis to come this way.

B

Bobby Sands

Didn't realise Poey is religious.

He was very religious as a youngster, and during school.

I dare say he still is, but I would think that some of his positioning has changed on that with his current partner etc.

It should be no surprise to anyone that he is extremely principled - and as part of that strident about inclusion etc.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He was very religious as a youngster, and during school.

I dare say he still is, but I would think that some of his positioning has changed on that with his current partner etc.

It should be no surprise to anyone that he is extremely principled - and as part of that strident about inclusion etc.

Interesting, I know of his devotion to Desmond Tutu but I sorta thought that was in a moral leader type of way. Of late he doesn't speak much about his faith, compared to his environmental campaign.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Pocock is an extreme comparison. Opposite end of the spectrum. I'd say a greater % of teen stars would lean towards more the Quade/JOC (James O'Connor) route then the Pocock route. Eating disorders, religious fervor, environmental activism, much of which started early teens.

Maybe he shouldn't be though. He was more interested in being his best rather than being a star.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe he shouldn't be though. He was more interested in being his best rather than being a star.

I don't think eating disorders and crying in restaurants when they don't have healthy options is 'being his best'. Pocock had a very unique and challenging youth which came with it's own problems. Yes he's doing great now, but so is JOC (James O'Connor). They both had paths which should be seen as extreme comparisons as I would say that they represent the exception, not the rule.

You would have to cherry pick aspects of their behaviour and experiences that would act as an positive example.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yep I agree. Without hijacking this thread into a Pocock story, I found his book very confronting. There were many aspects of his youth, mental state and physical attributes that I would never wish upon anyone.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
SO predictions for first team for this Friday?

Any injuries still an issue? know of? Petaia? Wood? Fotuaika? Paisami?

Assuming 100% fitness then this is me, but it's actually Petaias return that throws a spanner in the works. Does he move to wing or does Paisami move to 12 or the bench? I also felt we were better with Hegarty on the field instead of when 15 was JC

1. Smith 2. Mafi 3. Tupou
4. Blyth 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 8. Wilson 7. Wright
9. Mcdermott 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Daugunu 12. Paisami 13. Petaia 14. JC 15. Hegarty

16. BPA 17. Zander 18. Fotuaika 19. Wood 20. Mcreight 21. Malolua 22. Stewart 23. CFS

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Have heard ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has been preparing for an increased role in the lineout. Is it possible they will look to him as a lock? I can kind of see it happening as a way to get McReight on the field sooner, sub off Blyth, move ASY (Angus Scott-Young) into the row and bring McReight on.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Have heard ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has been preparing for an increased role in the lineout. Is it possible they will look to him as a lock? I can kind of see it happening as a way to get McReight on the field sooner, sub off Blyth, move ASY (Angus Scott-Young) into the row and bring McReight on.

I've rewritten this response a couple times because the more I think about it, the more I think it is you are on the right track. We probably would shift ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to lock BEFORE bringing on Smith/Tualima or Wood. They will get their time, but I can see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) moving to lock and Mcreight to flank early in the 2nd half, whilst the bigger (and less experienced) forward replacement comes on later in the 2nd half.

Moral of the story - is the 1st sub to come on (to replace someone in 4/5/6/7/8) going to be Mcreight, or Smith/Tualima/Wood?My money is on Mcreight, even if it is for a 4/5 - therefore - ASY (Angus Scott-Young) likely to do time at lock.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah I am pretty sure I saw some footage of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) packing in at lock in training videos. Might hope that's as bench back up and we start with McReight. Blythe, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Wilson and Wright makes a suitable lineout I reckon.

I don't think Jordie P will be ready yet so suspect Stewart stays at 12 (deservedly) and Hunter is at 13.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wayne smith has Paisami back but no Petaia:

World Cup sensation Jordan Petaia is still training with the rehab group and won’t be considered but the Reds are still likely to field a potential match-winner at 13 in Hunter Paisami. Meanwhile, Henry Speight, though released by the Reds to go to Biarritz Olympique, could well continue to play on the wing until he is able to make the trip to France.

He also seems to suggest the back row will be McReight, Wright and Wilson but I'm not sure what that's based on

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...t/news-story/0fb65e34a331dfd5440fba06fbfa1b2a

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thinking this game is a great opportunity for the Reds to really recapture some fan support considering the Broncos imploding. Speaking with mates who follow both teams up there many have written the Broncos off for this year and are itching for Reds to play. I know a win over the Tahs is important every year but feel like a great game and win this week could have a really big impact. And I see Broncos only attracted a little over 6,000 last Sat when capacity was 10,000. Would be fantastic for the Reds to top that this week - would make some of the league journos heads explode.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thinking this game is a great opportunity for the Reds to really recapture some fan support considering the Broncos imploding. Speaking with mates who follow both teams up there many have written the Broncos off for this year and are itching for Reds to play. I know a win over the Tahs is important every year but feel like a great game and win this week could have a really big impact. And I see Broncos only attracted a little over 6,000 last Sat when capacity was 10,000. Would be fantastic for the Reds to top that this week - would make some of the league journos heads explode.

Just on the no. of spectators. I know people working in league admin and its been tough for them to get actually get people to go! It's not ASY (Angus Scott-Young) easy as saying there are 10k seats. Chances are Broncos gave tickets to those members who pledged their memberships + corporate and sponsors.

For the Reds they may get lucky depending on how many ticketed members there are and be able to get everyone there. If not, it is a complex beast to decide who gets a chance and who doesn't!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Thinking this game is a great opportunity for the Reds to really recapture some fan support considering the Broncos imploding. Speaking with mates who follow both teams up there many have written the Broncos off for this year and are itching for Reds to play.

Agreed. That 2011 - 2013 period where the Broncos tanked and the Reds were doing well just demonstrated how much we love watching a winning team.

Hopefully 2020 can be our 2010!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just on the no. of spectators. I know people working in league admin and its been tough for them to get actually get people to go! It's not ASY (Angus Scott-Young) easy as saying there are 10k seats. Chances are Broncos gave tickets to those members who pledged their memberships + corporate and sponsors.

For the Reds they may get lucky depending on how many ticketed members there are and be able to get everyone there. If not, it is a complex beast to decide who gets a chance and who doesn't!

Since Covid hit before there'd been any Broncos home games, they rolled everyone's memberships into 2021. So now you have to pay per game to go.

So they're going to struggle for crowds for a while unless they start winning.

So Reds may well get a bigger crowd this weekend as no need for members to pay again to go. Just had to click a few buttons.

Brace yourselves for longer waits in bar lines if you're going on Friday night. Social distancing doesn't let too many people into the bar area at once.