• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Agreed. That 2011 - 2013 period where the Broncos tanked and the Reds were doing well just demonstrated how much we love watching a winning team.

Hopefully 2020 can be our 2010!

My friends are a pretty good bellweather. Once huge rugby fans who have slowly dropped off for a number of reasons. But boy are they disillusioned with the Broncos currently. And even before this, they were starting to take note of the exciting play of the young Reds team and wanting to start attending matches again.

That’s the thing with rugby in Australia I feel. It’s been in the doldrums for years but plenty of people who have fallen off the wagon are just looking and waiting for a reason to get back on board again. It just needs that spark...

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
That’s the thing with rugby in Australia I feel. It’s been in the doldrums for years but plenty of people who have fallen off the wagon are just looking and waiting for a reason to get back on board again. It just needs that spark.

In 2011, I was at a Reds game and a bloke behind me in the beer queue said something to his mate along the lines of "I haven't been to a Reds game in years but the kids were whinging at me to come." At first I was angry, "f*cking bandwagoners, they hadn't sat in the rain on the hill at Ballymore to watch the team get smashed by the blues last year" but then I though how good. His kids got him to come.

I think there is a massive coloration between the Reds winning Super Rugby in 2011 and the current roster. Those kids whinging at their parents and getting along to games in 2011 are the Reds players now. It helped keep them in rugby. You can see this with the Waratahs. All the Aussie u20 players coming through NSW were in their early teens when the tahs won.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
My friends are a pretty good bellweather. Once huge rugby fans who have slowly dropped off for a number of reasons. But boy are they disillusioned with the Broncos currently. And even before this, they were starting to take note of the exciting play of the young Reds team and wanting to start attending matches again.

That’s the thing with rugby in Australia I feel. It’s been in the doldrums for years but plenty of people who have fallen off the wagon are just looking and waiting for a reason to get back on board again. It just needs that spark.

Pretty basic really - i'll pay money to be entertained. If there is a 10% chance based on recent performances of being entertained - i'm not going to spend $50+. I don't owe the reds anything. They get paid to play. They completely have to earn the crowd. I don't understand people who are anti bandwagon. Why would i/anyone pay to see a losing team (a la the broncos at the moment)??

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
dunno. Always been a Reds fan. I'm invested him them.

I thought what was missing in rugby was the parochialism? But what your saying the secret to getting the fans back is ensure everyone is always winning? THat should be easy.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Didn't say always winning...
Should be enjoyable/entertaining. That doesn't necessarily mean winning all the time. The Reds have been entertaining this year. However off the back of years of garbage they have a higher hurdle

B

Bobby Sands

Lolo Fakaosilea is in Brisbane, back from Japan - I assume still contracted to Kinetsu.

Would be one to bring back in and have a look at I would have thought.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Whats Lolo like in the air? IF the Reds were to sign another backrower - I think it should be a ball running 6/8 who is also a viable lineout option to help cover the loss of Hockings and Rodda. I really like the balance of our backrowers with a core 4 of Wright/Wilson/ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/McReight but I think there is still room for someone in the mold of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to be in the squad. I firmly see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as a lock at the moment as well.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure Tuialima from GPS is floating around there and I think he hits those criteria for me.

B

Bobby Sands

Again, I just said to have a look.

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t pop up at training, if allowed by Kinetsu.

It’s just logical.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Don’t really rate Lolo, I’d prefer going for local depth rather then bringing back in someone like him.
If they really needed an extra backrower for a few games had the spare cash, then Ben Mowen or Curtis Browning are better options.

And... there’s always Radike Samo...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Agreed. He is a physical specimen. I wonder if he is the kind of guy who if Thorne got his hands on could turn him into something more.

Possibly, but then you had Peter Ryan / Laurie Fisher both work with him. I never thought he was bad, just there were others that where better.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I saw on Speights Instagram today that Nigel Ah Wong is training with the Reds. Perhaps they've gotten him as coverage for Speights departure and while Jordan is recovering?