• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 Super Rugby Round 1 (REDUX): Reds v Waratahs

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Harrison and Walton will probably be quite pleased if it is Jock Campbell crashing midfield.

CFS in the last 20 might be a different beast. Also I can see using Paisami hitting it there with Hegarty coming round the outside linking with the wings.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Except Jock could step through rain without getting wet. Absolutely loved watching him bringing it back earlier in the season.
He can indeed which is why I think it’s a bad move from the Reds to shift him to the wing where he won’t get the same opportunities on kick returns.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
CFS in the last 20 might be a different beast. Also I can see using Paisami hitting it there with Hegarty coming round the outside linking with the wings.
Tepai will hopefully be on in the last 20 but Paisami will certainly be a handful no matter what channel he is running in.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Wow, 11 of the Tahs 23 had never been on a Super rugby field before 2020! Defence will be a huge concern, we know neither Newsome nor Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) can tackle, not too sure about Walton, we'll see I guess. Penney has really gone all out on youth though, no Holloway, no Hunt, Dempsey & Staniforth on the bench. Throw in the injury unavailability of Gordon, Foketti and Tom Robbo, Beale and Fitzpatrick leaving early, it's a Tahs side that no-one could possibly have predicted back in March.

Interesting to see Smith, Mafi and Scott-Young on the bench for the Reds, really speaks volumes for the depth they have in the forwards. Surely this is their chance for a win over the Tahs, and probably a big one.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone got their tickets yet? I thought they were being emailed out today?
DDB2A921-C1AA-4F7A-A553-56AEFEF1469C.jpeg

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Wow, 11 of the Tahs 23 had never been on a Super rugby field before 2020! Defence will be a huge concern

Probably not bad that they decide to park Jason Gilmore with the Tahs then. I'm not sure Bailey was the solution based on how they were defending earlier this year.

Surely this is their chance for a win over the Tahs, and probably a big one.

Something will be seriously wrong at the Reds if they don't run away with this one by a decent margin. Really excited to see how the young Tah's perform. Real step up for the likes of Horton and Walton. Curious to see if this Newsome experiment is worth continuing with (have my doubts). Great to see Harris get a start. The future for sure. Little disappointed Pat Tafa didn't make the bench, wonder how he pulled up post COVID.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wow, 11 of the Tahs 23 had never been on a Super rugby field before 2020! Defence will be a huge concern, we know neither Newsome nor Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) can tackle, not too sure about Walton, we'll see I guess. Penney has really gone all out on youth though, no Holloway, no Hunt, Dempsey & Staniforth on the bench. Throw in the injury unavailability of Gordon, Foketti and Tom Robbo, Beale and Fitzpatrick leaving early, it's a Tahs side that no-one could possibly have predicted back in March.

Interesting to see Smith, Mafi and Scott-Young on the bench for the Reds, really speaks volumes for the depth they have in the forwards. Surely this is their chance for a win over the Tahs, and probably a big one.

Just a guess but even if I'm wrong - Amosa and Hoopert are the more mobile options - able to keep the game up tempo. Mafi and Smith will come on and make the scrum even stronger! Expect to see a few 2nd half scrum penalties against the Tahs. '

(Hunt was also an injury exclusion btw)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting change in the Tahs backrow, two bigger, more abrasive units being used

I don't mind Hanigan as that mobile lock, he is a good as anyone in the country at the front of the lineout, he gets up fast and will force deeper throws

But we will be lucky to get 0 in this game

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have loaded up on the Reds at the line of -8.5. Knowing the Reds they will disappoint me by winning the game but not by enough points.

They've surely never had a better chance of ending the Tahs' winning streak over them though. For the Tahs to win this one in Brisbane with the inexperienced side they have and the way they were playing at the start of the season would be nothing short of miraculous.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that 1989 series was awesome. Smashed the Tahs twice by 30 points each time. Once in Sydney and once in Brisbane. Lovely stuff.