• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't agree - at all. This is purely perception. In fact, the Brumbies vs Chiefs and Reds vs Crusaders proved this stuff is just an optic myth.

At the risk of going all Fox Sports, they're outliers rather than the norm. And even after all these years, it still stings to say that.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I was more than happy with what I watched. Was expecting a flogging and really the Tahs should have won it.

It was a great game.

Don't care what was going on in some foreign country southeast of where I come from. Didn't watch it, don't think I am alone

Enjoyed it, but I had skin in the game. But I'd rather see our guys play rugby powerhouses like Canterbury and Waikato than play the Rebels a couple of times a year. Interesting that you mention a country that's approx. half the distance to Perth.

Oh, and the Tahs shouldn't have won it. The Reds left a lot of points on the park.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Fail to see how either point supports your position. Bell was also yellow carded, and the Reds were in the lead with zero minutes left.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’d like to see us playing NZ teams but I’m going to reserve judgment on the quality of the respective competitions until the Australian comp is a few rounds in. First game back after a few months lay-off and throw in the rule changes, I’d expect the game to be a bit more error ridden than the NZ game.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I’d like to see us playing NZ teams but I’m going to reserve judgment on the quality of the respective competitions until the Australian comp is a few rounds in. First game back after a few months lay-off and throw in the rule changes, I’d expect the game to be a bit more error ridden than the NZ game.

That does seem prudent, but even accounting for rd1 v rd 3 it just seems like a huge gulf.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That does seem prudent, but even accounting for rd1 v rd 3 it just seems like a huge gulf.
We all know that NZ generally are better rugby players. By and large except for a few fluctuations in our favour this has been the case for 140 years. I don’t agree that having to play NZ teams regularly so we can compare ourselves with them is the solution to our current woes. Look at the period 1984-1994 as a case in point. What we need is world class development systems and coaching.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
We all know that NZ generally are better rugby players. By and large except for a few fluctuations in our favour this has been the case for 140 years. I don’t agree that having to play NZ teams regularly so we can compare ourselves with them is the solution to our current woes. Look at the period 1984-1994 as a case in point. What we need is world class development systems and coaching.

Agreed, we can't even get past one game before the "its not legit unless we're playing NZ sides" gets trotted out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agreed, we can't even get past one game before the "its not legit unless we're playing NZ sides" gets trotted out.

On the money Hoggy. No other team in the world play NZ as often as we do. Nevertheless, Ireland and England have both risen to No 1 regardless. SA is/was No 1 after the RWC. It can happen by playing other nations. And winning more than losing. We need fewer tests against NZ and more against other nations to get the most out of the Wallabies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
69,000 tuned into watch last night. Would be good if we can average that throughout.

that seems to be on par for historical time-zone friendly matches. Where the numbers will look good is we won't see the <20K viewers for the middle of the night matches. Hopefully interest will even pick up as the season progresses, I'd imagine there would be a few people sitting on the fence to see how it goes before committing.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
On the money Hoggy. No other team in the world play NZ as often as we do. Nevertheless, Ireland and England have both risen to No 1 regardless. SA is/was No 1 after the RWC. It can happen by playing other nations. And winning more than losing. We need fewer tests against NZ and more against other nations to get the most out of the Wallabies.

yes, it relies on someone beating NZ for it to happen, which ironically is usually us. By virtue of the amount of times we play them we are also the team that beats them most often.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
that seems to be on par for historical time-zone friendly matches. Where the numbers will look good is we won't see the <20K viewers for the middle of the night matches. Hopefully interest will even pick up as the season progresses, I'd imagine there would be a few people sitting on the fence to see how it goes before committing.

Certainly hope so.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Part of the reason why I would prefer the one off Bledisloe as opposed to the current 3.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)

Not saying it's not legit, it's good to have it back. But surely if there's the opportunity to do so in the future it's better to watch a higher quality ~ten team comp with the NZ sides than either a five team comp with only local sides or the NRC.

And yes, it goes without saying that exposing players to quality opposition is not the only thing necessary to develop quality test teams. But it surely must be better than being in a narrow or diluted talent pool.

Similarly, the players in the 1984-1994 era are now fathers and grandfathers. Back in the days of amateurism and 'shamateurism', test teams weren't allowed to assemble, players largely played and trained at their local clubs after work. Just so happened that two clubs in particular (one in Brisbane, one in Sydney) had a wealth of playing and coaching talent. Totally different world now. Having said that, Qld and NSW still played in the amateur Super comps in the late 80s and early 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.