• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Draw is on the official CAS website. I would cut and paste, if I knew how

Where is Cranners v Waverley game being played? WLF?

SDW,
Cranners v Waves, July 18 at Cranners, Dangar Fields, Manion ave Rose Bay (not Hordern at Cranbrook)

It's the 1st CAS comp game, the only teams playing are as follows:

1pm 16AS
2PM 2NDS
3.15PM 1STS.

I recommend you get there, if possible, to watch the 16as, they are very strong, after that with the 2nds and 1sts who knows.
Recon there will be many spectators at every schools games, people are busting to get it on!

Barker3peat

Stan Wickham (3)
Not sure why people are talking up Trinity? Didn’t they come 5th last year with just about the same team?

Barker have at least 6 boys back from a double premiership squad Plus some new faces that are incredibly talented. Barker will be very hard to beat this year.

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)

Attachments

• CAS2020RugbyGoogleSheetsDraw.PNG
    CAS2020RugbyGoogleSheetsDraw.PNG
    61.5 KB · Views: 228

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Have any schools made plans to stream games yet? I'm assuming there will continue to be restrictions in place. All the schools film their 1st XV matches, and just about any kid in Year 9 could show them how to connect the camera to the internet.

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
Barker's website has them playing St Augustines this Saturday at 10.30. Does anyone know if the school is still barring non-students from entering the campus?

Referees_rule

Bob McCowan (2)
God I hope Barker3peat is not an accurate representation of what that school is producing. Such a poor showing with regards to having an ounce of respect and decency for others in this group. And from what i've seen, Barker are the ones flaunting the rules by holding trials earlier than every other school after supposedly interpreting the rules differently. Seems fair... Nevertheless, the show goes on.

Im hearing a bit of turmoil out of Summer Hill with former representative player and previous team captain Micheal Eid (1st XV) suddenly quitting rugby, much to the dismay of the fraternity at Trinity. In better news, with some player positional switches incoming, i'm still predicting Stojceski to be a bolter in the front row and set the competition alight this year. Prepare for some barnstorming runs and big hits from this bloke.

Keen to see it,
RR

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Exciting day today - Restrictions lifted for community sport to start again in NSW. Allowing teams to start training properly again.

Hopefully all games do go ahead and we don’t have a spike similar to Victoria.

Good luck to all teams as they start retraining today for CAS games in a couple of weeks and well done to all involved for setting it up so that’s games could go ahead - in particular sports masters and heads of the various CAS schools.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Good point.

WLF can make all the excuses he wants, but the results speak for themselves!

Hey mate back in my day at Barker it was in the top 10 in HSC results. Since then it has fallen somewhat. It aint that great anymore. Remember pride before the fall. A bit more respect to our Waverley mates eh.

Reactions: WLF

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Great to see some CAS lads debuting in this weekends super rugby. Ben Donaldson from Waverley gets his chance for the Tahs while Josh Kemeny from Cranbrook runs out for the Rebels in the starting side at 6. Of course Lachlan Swinton (aka Capt America ) from Knox is in the starting side for the Tahs. Special congrats to Will Harris from Scots for keeping Jack Dempsey out of the run on side.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker has a couple of trials coming up although not sure if they are deemed games or robust opposed contact training sessions.

4th July St Augustines
11th July Newington (at Barker)
Start the comp on 18th with Aloys at home.

The squad is in good shape with the exception of Ned Slack Smith last years 1st XV No8 (year 10 in 2019). He did his knee and is out for the season.

A possible starting XV could look like this.

1. Chayton Ekanayake (1sts/2nds 2019)
2.Tyrone Albertson (U16s)
3. Lachlan Hetherington (2nds 2019)
4. Lachlan Hooper
5. Mark Green (2nds 2019)
6 Dan Stovold Capt. (1st 2019)
7 Mitch Wheels (1st 2019)
8 Ben Randal (1st/2nds 2019)
9. Luke Harrison (2nds 2019)
10.Ben Graham (1sts 2019) in from 12
11. Grant Tucker (U16s 2019)
12.Joe Kennedy
13. Liam Jones (1st XV 2019)
14. ? Galloway (Kyles younger brother)
15 Kyle Bowen (1st Xv 2019)

Lets hope spectators will be allowed into the grounds.

The above team list is Barkers starting XV against St Augustines with exception that young Seb Severino is starting at loose head prop. Apparently 2nds play at 9am.

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Have any schools made plans to stream games yet? I'm assuming there will continue to be restrictions in place. All the schools film their 1st XV matches, and just about any kid in Year 9 could show them how to connect the camera to the internet.

Snort, apparently the Heads of Schools all agreed to NOT go down that path, probably due to privacy reasons etc.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Given Waverley I gather has a trial against Auggies on July 11 at Death Valley

It will be interesting to compare how Barker fares and how Waves fares

Is that kiwi kid Fretton still at Birrell street... as he was awesome until concussion ruled him out

I think that was last year? Becoming a blur

Ps great to hear about Kemeny in Rebels and Donaldson in Tahs

As for Captain America he was robbed to not be an Aussie school boy

Best forward out of Knox in a long time... and there have been some good ones

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Given Waverley I gather has a trial against Auggies on July 11 at Death Valley

It will be interesting to compare how Barker fares and how Waves fares

Is that kiwi kid Fretton still at Birrell street. as he was awesome until concussion ruled him out

I think that was last year? Becoming a blur

Ps great to hear about Kemeny in Rebels and Donaldson in Tahs

As for Captain America he was robbed to not be an Aussie school boy

Best forward out of Knox in a long time. and there have been some good ones

Agree SDW,

The Auggies comparison could be a goodie, all things being equal.
Yes, Arso Fretton is back this year.

Best of luck to all the CAS Old boys who are playing in the Super Rugby tonight, well done.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
4 all in the 2nds here at Barker. Game started off as full contact but no rucks. Well organised by coaches and ref. But as game progressed the ref picked up the contact and by the end it was full on normal rugby. Both sides rusty. St Augs had plenty of ball. The off loads were very prevalent. League skills showing thru. Barker was stronger in set piece.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Update on the 1st XV hit out at Barker. In what was a very well organised opposed training session, both sides had a fair degree of rust with quality defence being more noticeable than slick offence from both sides. Apologies to St Augs as I do not know your players but the standouts for me was their 5 (Tom Douglas, i knew one) and the 9. As the opposed session got going the refs and coaches upped the anti. Initially there was no tackling or rucks. Focus was on quick ball to the backs. They also had 5 restarts from both sides and most of the time kept things in one half of the field. There was no real focus on scoring points.

The last 15 to 20 min things started getting serious. Competitive scrums lineouts and proper rucks and malls.

My observation was that if it was a proper 70 minute game Barker would have been a 15 to 25 point better side. The strength for Barker is their fitness. Also they have 4 or 5 quality props across the 1st and 2nds so that is always a good start. Besides the front row, Hooper and Green make a solid 2nd row while the back row is a standout with Wheels and Stovold being a brick wall in defence and really strong over the ball. Wheels is also the kicker and this will be an advantage as the hang time and depth of his kicks will pose problems for the opposition.

I really like what I saw from Barkers outside backs when they started running more freely. Galloway is bigger than his famous older brother and has similar speed wile full back Bowen injected pace into the back line. Last year's centre pairing of Jones and Kennedy will be better for this hit out. Jones has the making of a really good outside centre.

The halves combinations for both sides was a little rusty. Passes missing the mark and the timing slightly off, but I really liked the way Ben Graham was fearless at taking on the advantage line. In one run he bumped off 3 would be forward defenders, so he and Harrison (9) will be better for the run.

So next weeks match against Newington at Barker will be a real test especially if the game is allowed to play as normal.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker did score twice. Tries to Graham (10 and Jones (13). No conversions or penalties goals were allowed. St Augs did not cross the chalk.

Yeahfooty9071

Frank Row (1)
4 all in the 2nds here at Barker. Game started off as full contact but no rucks. Well organised by coaches and ref. But as game progressed the ref picked up the contact and by the end it was full on normal rugby. Both sides rusty. St Augs had plenty of ball. The off loads were very prevalent. League skills showing thru. Barker was stronger in set piece.

Any players in particular that stood out from either of the 2nd sides?