• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I saw on Speights Instagram today that Nigel Ah Wong is training with the Reds. Perhaps they've gotten him as coverage for Speights departure and while Jordan is recovering?

Bloody good player, cant remember why he left the Brumbies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
How did you think our guys went head to head.

Hopefully after COVID-19 and the Rennie becoming coach then the Wallabies can be selected on current form and not on reputation.

For me the better starting player in each position (not allowing for injuries) for this week was-

1 Hoopert over Bell
2 Abel over Paenga-Amosa
3 Tupou over Johnson-Holmes
4 Hanigan over Blyth
5 Salakaia-Loto over Simmons
6 Wright over Swinton
7 McReight over Hooper
8 Wilson over Harris
9 McDermott over Short
10 Harrison over O'Connor
11 Daugunu over Nawaqanitawase
12 Stewart equal to Walton
13 Paisami over Newsome
14 Campbell equal to Ramm
15 Maddocks over Hegarty

Johnson-Holmes and Hooper deserve credit for their performances tonight.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Hopefully after COVID-19 and the Rennie becoming coach then the Wallabies can be selected on current form and not on reputation.

For me the better starting player in each position (not allowing for injuries) for this week was-

1 Hoopert over Bell
2 Abel over Paenga-Amosa
4 Hanigan over Blyth
6 Wright over Swinton
7 McReight over Hooper
8 Wilson over Harris
9 McDermott over Short
13 Paisami over Newsome
15 Maddocks over Hegarty

Thought Ramm better than Campbell - later looked better at 15 in the past and would put there ahead of hegarty

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)

1 Hoopert over Bell
2 Abel over Paenga-Amosa
4 Hanigan over Blyth
6 Wright over Swinton
7 McReight over Hooper
8 Wilson over Harris
9 McDermott over Short
13 Paisami over Newsome
15 Maddocks over Hegarty

I think you are pretty spot on except for James Ramm who made a lot of mistakes in the first half. Reds back rowers were better however Swinton did some good things apart for his penalty count which was excessive.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I liked Swinton too, seems to play pretty hard.

I had Ramm and Campbell equal, probably because neither really stayed in mind after the game.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Surely for the next match we need to shift Campbell to fullback and start CFS on the wing.
Particularly if JOC (James O'Connor) happy to keep the goal kicking duties.

Blowing off the cobwebs and first game back explains a lot of the mistakes seen last night, but it’s not an excuse for poor goal kicking.

With regards to who to play at lock, thought I heard somewhere that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) had been packing down in the row a bit at training ?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - it’s been reporting. But I’m assuming that is more a contingency. I think he actually packed at lock there last night when Tupou was off. I’d hate to have to rely on him at lock for an extended period - although in the current situation it may still be the best option available from the bench.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Particularly if JOC (James O'Connor) happy to keep the goal kicking duties.

Blowing off the cobwebs and first game back explains a lot of the mistakes seen last night, but it’s not an excuse for poor goal kicking.

With regards to who to play at lock, thought I heard somewhere that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) had been packing down in the row a bit at training ?

The coaches have a lot to sort out. Both Maddocks and Harrison outplayed Hegarty and JOC (James O'Connor). Developing Jock at fullback seems to be the sensible option atm with young gun Mac Grearly being groomed in the next couple of years.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is not a lock. We’ve got a good selection of back row players and only one decent lock. Our recruiters will need to get that sorted quickly. Didn’t rate the replacement lock at all.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree ASY (Angus Scott-Young) not a lock , but appears not a lot of other options currently. Not sure what chance we have of recruiting given the financial distress that Australian rugby is in.

Think at this stage we just need to put our best footballers on the park . The playing group rate the involvement ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has when on the field . I would rather see him get more game time than someone brought in just because they are a few inches taller .

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The coaches have a lot to sort out. Both Maddocks and Harrison outplayed Hegarty and JOC (James O'Connor). Developing Jock at fullback seems to be the sensible option atm with young gun Mac Grearly being groomed in the next couple of years.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is not a lock. We’ve got a good selection of back row players and only one decent lock. Our recruiters will need to get that sorted quickly. Didn’t rate the replacement lock at all.

I thought JOC (James O'Connor) played with the composure required when it came down to closing out the match.

Reds have Wilson Blyth on the books as well, he wont get game time this year but is training with the squad and will start provide depth over the next couple of years. Michael Wood when fit again can play lock.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Tualima was fine. I didn't expect him to set the world on fire but he was solid enough. He will learn a lot from his hit out.

No need to go chopping and changing after 1 appearance. Wish I could hear ASY (Angus Scott-Young)'s speech for Tua's cap presentation, it certainly seemed to get the boys fired up.

Let's hope we unlock the midfield ball this week & see the pill making its way out the backline. We've got dangerous runners everywhere, JOC (James O'Connor) needs to unleash them.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Any news on how long till Petaia is fit?

2021 I hope. In any event, Jordan would only be playing on the wing as Hunter had a great game (and has played better than Jordan has throughout this season). So, you either drop Bryce or Stewart to fit a Petaia in there and if Bryce isn't kicking, then I don't see much value he has over Stewart or Jock.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I fear that Petaia might be this generation’s Geoff Fenwicke - a hugely talented player that we will never get to see play. At least Jordan managed a couple of caps, Geoff wasn’t so lucky. I hope I’m wrong, I’d love to see him as an integral part of the Wallabies (and Reds) for the next several years.