• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 Super Rugby Round 1 (REDUX): Brumbies v Rebels

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm glad the Brumbies won, but that last half hour was hard to watch...............

Anyways, their attacking threat is still there so hopefully they'll just tidy up the ball control.

And I thought for the most part of the match they were very strong in defence.

Not sure what was happening with those scrums though?

And I'm not convinced with the line drop outs - the Brumbies got the advantage after the Rebels were held up over the line, but then the Rebels benefited from kicking the ball too far............. that all seems backwards to me.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
And I'm not convinced with the line drop outs - the Brumbies got the advantage after the Rebels were held up over the line, but then the Rebels benefited from kicking the ball too far..... that all seems backwards to me.

Slim 293 I agree 100% with this.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah nah. Harrison much better kicker.

Qwerty, Lolesio is currently a mile in front of Harrison in the chase for the No 10 Wallaby spot. Every week this year including this weekend, Lolesio has just moved further ahead.

And for the likes of some posters (Fatprop? etc) who go on and on about the advantages of playing 9 or 10 behind a dominant scrum, how did that pan out today? The Rebels scrum was on the front foot all night, yet both Powell and Lolesio finished well in front of their Rebels' counterparts, including the current incumbent Wallaby No 10.

On a brighter note, all in all it was a good game, much better quality than the Reds/Tahs game. Both sides went at it with commitment and aggression. Only weak spot in the whole game was the referee and his incessant whistling. Nothing has changed as far as Gardner is concerned.

Brumbies were the better side by a considerable margin, 5 tries to 2 being a good indicator, but the Rebels showed enough for me to think they will have the measure of the Reds and the Tahs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Harrison does seem to be the better kicker but Lolesio is better otherwise. Happy for those two to duke it out for the nszt 5 years.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With departures of so many good locks I thought with game tonight from Stolberg and Philips they must both be in the running to be our starting wallaby locks.

Rebels poor first half - take that away - I thnk they could win this competition if play like they did in second half as seems contrary to where I thought this would be a weakness they have the forwards balanced with their wallaby laden backline to do very well.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Slim 293 I agree 100% with this.

I really like the goal line drop outs - makes for bit more interest and more attacking play as players less likely to want to be held up over the line etc. I think they should consider keeping this rule is my message to World Rugby - appreciate others don't agree.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Odd game. A little hard to watch after that quality NZ derby. Lots of rust from both sides and some stupid stuff from both teams at times. Brumbies just look like a happy squad who are enjoying their Rugby. Work so much better as a unit.

For many who don't really care for NZ local derbies (and hence nothing to compare to or really wanting to compare to) the game was good enough standard and competitive for us to enjoy....when will people understand that bigger % of people in this country don't give a crap about local NZ derbies...and hence continuing to point to comparisons of their domestic competition is a falsehood. You want to create a competition where we play against them - ok create a sensible competition that allows for the playing fields to be levelled (ie open borders) as I am sure people watch J-League or European competitions don’t constantly compare their games to NZ local derbies. This fixation on NZ is getting so bloody boring.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez I enjoyed that, good bloody game, I think the Brumbies are looking scarily good for the comp, without doubt the best team for this weekend in Aus ( and I only saying this weekend), Rebels did some bloody good stuff, and apart from seeming to get a bit lost in defence a couple of times, thought were also pretty impressive.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Don't be defensive I watch NZ derbies and still thought this game was plenty good enough standard. No good us liking or not liking TT comps, neither comp going forward will play play with 5 teams, enjoy what we got this season and worry about what comes up next year. And stop going on about open borders, soon as Covid is sorted and borders will be open, and then anyone can play for any team they want to, as they always have been able too!!

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
For many who don't really care for NZ local derbies (and hence nothing to compare to or really wanting to compare to) the game was good enough standard and competitive for us to enjoy..when will people understand that bigger % of people in this country don't give a crap about local NZ derbies.and hence continuing to point to comparisons of their domestic competition is a falsehood. You want to create a competition where we play against them - ok create a sensible competition that allows for the playing fields to be levelled (ie open borders) as I am sure people watch J-League or European competitions constantly compare their games to NZ local derbies. This fixation on NZ is getting so bloody boring.

Chill Rugbynutter, the NZ game was literally on the TV right before the Brumbies v. Rebels game so comparisons are far from unfair and I doubt I was the only one to catch both games. I was probably being overly optimistic and somewhat unrealistic in wanting the teams to be right back to where they were at the end of the 2020 combined Super Rugby comp (which they are obviously not). They were both more rusty than I'd hoped and as most have acknowedged but it's to be expected round 1.

Also, with all this TT comp talk and the fact they we competed against the NZ teams earlier this year, comparisons of where the countries are at is far from unreasonable. It wasn't an unenjoyable game that shows good promise and I was happy to see the Rebels make the Brumbies work for it in the end, just odd as I said watching one after the other and seeing the apparent differences.

As for the true rugby nuts up north the Premiership or Pro14 comps were for many years compared and spoken about in comparison to SuperRugby which was seen as the benchmark tournament. Those days are long gone with the standards in Europe well up there but to say comparisons were never made is far from true. I guarantee you that many up north will be watching the Super Rugby Aotearoa games during this period of no sport in those northern countries.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A note on the commentary. Much focus on Kearns etc, but I didn't think Greg Clark was particularly good either.

Well done Brumbies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Chill Rugbynutter, the NZ game was literally on the TV right before the Brumbies v. Rebels game so comparisons are far from unfair and I doubt I was the only one to catch both games. I was probably being overly optimistic and somewhat unrealistic in wanting the teams to be right back to where they were at the end of the 2020 combined Super Rugby comp (which they are obviously not). They were both more rusty than I'd hoped and as most have acknowedged but it's to be expected round 1.

Also, with all this TT comp talk and the fact they we competed against the NZ teams earlier this year, comparisons of where the countries are at is far from unreasonable. It wasn't an unenjoyable game that shows good promise and I was happy to see the Rebels make the Brumbies work for it in the end, just odd as I said watching one after the other and seeing the apparent differences.

As for the true rugby nuts up north the Premiership or Pro14 comps were for many years compared and spoken about in comparison to SuperRugby which was seen as the benchmark tournament. Those days are long gone with the standards in Europe well up there but to say comparisons were never made is far from true. I guarantee you that many up north will be watching the Super Rugby Aotearoa games during this period of no sport in those northern countries.

Nah I don’t need to chill as my comment also reasonable that too much fixation on nz - I take your point why but I guess that is my point we need to maybe look at something different like a Domestic competition followed by a champions league and nrc follow on for the rest. Not going to argue the detail here. All good mate.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Nah I don’t need to chill as my comment also reasonable that too much fixation on nz - I take your point why but I guess that is my point we need to maybe look at something different like a Domestic competition followed by a champions league and nrc follow on for the rest. Not going to argue the detail here. All good mate.

Fair enough. Maybe we do. I'm open to all approaches though I still feel there is value in competing against high quality teams like the NZ'ers. We should always be striving for the highest standard. I'd like to win that Bledisloe Cup again one day after all.

Anyway I'm sure we can agree that it's great to just see some AU Rugby again. It has been the youngsters that have really impressed me. Hansen besides a few high ball jitters had a good game. Lolesio looking confident and reasonable off the tee and then obviously all the young Tah's and Reds yesterday. The future shows a lot of promise.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fair enough. Maybe we do. I'm open to all approaches though I still feel there is value in competing against high quality teams like the NZ'ers. We should always be striving for the highest standard. I'd like to win that Bledisloe Cup again one day after all.

Anyway I'm sure we can agree that it's great to just see some AU Rugby again. It has been the youngsters that have really impressed me. Hansen besides a few high ball jitters had a good game. Lolesio looking confident and reasonable off the tee and then obviously all the young Tah's and Reds yesterday. The future shows a lot of promise.

Irony is probably because not playing nz teams gave more opportunity to play the youngsters who have impressed - again just reinforces to me having a separate domestic competition with something like a champions league follow on would be better to see more of our young emerging talent and actually grow the base.