• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would watch anything that I have recorded, so I could fast forward through the bad bits. (Sometimes the game is over in a few minutes, though).
O ye of little faith.
We have a raft of new coaches, new administrators, refreshed player bodies, and a new Super team.
As the great philosopher Eric Idle said, always look on the bright side.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah, I think this ‘second fullback’ is actually just a classical winger. The so called out and out winger is usually just the bloke who makes the side on sheer athleticism without necessarily having great rugby skills (e.g. Taqele). That said, I think some of the candidates we have coming through have skills of the classical winger as well as the athleticism, this is why guys like Maddocks aren’t rating a mention.

Just caught the end of a replay of 2019 game between England and the Baabaas. Taqele scored very impressively near the end, no frills, just size, speed, and balance in spades.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So - no Rodda or Philip, who were generally looking to be first choice. Who are we looking at for lock?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
So - no Rodda or Philip, who were generally looking to be first choice. Who are we looking at for lock?

Simmons to get a recall - If not to start, then definitely 1 of the 4 spots for locks in the squad

Blyth, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Simmons then either Swain or Neville.

Rodda to come back sooner then expected (wouldnt be surpirsed if he signs a deal whilst still overseas, making him eligible for wallabies in 2021. He would replace Simmons who is off contract and will be 32.

Hopefully Hockings comes back also to replace Neville who would also be 32.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Well, of all the green locks I reckon Blyth is the least likely to be overawed by the occasion. Bit of mad dog in him that is needed to take the fight to the ABs.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
So the race for 10 after round one is (IMO):
  1. Lolesio
  2. JOC (James O'Connor)
  3. Harrison
  4. To'omua
I'd prefer to see Matt To'omua starting the next few tests with one or both of Lolesio and Harrison getting some time off the bench.
Hard head of experience gets into the fray early and young inexperienced gun builds game time and confidence.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Harrison was more impressive than JOC (James O'Connor) particularly as the Reds forward pack were better than the Tahs. The Tahs backline looked more threatening for much of the contest I thought.

JOC (James O'Connor) would probably be my starting Wallaby 10 though because he has that maturity and composure.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Harrison was more impressive than JOC (James O'Connor) particularly as the Reds forward pack were better than the Tahs. The Tahs backline looked more threatening for much of the contest I thought.

JOC (James O'Connor) would probably be my starting Wallaby 10 though because he has that maturity and composure.

agree, I thought JOC (James O'Connor) was really disappointing in marshaling his backline attack. It was pretty non-existent.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
i want to see both Lolesio & Harrison in the squad and let To'omua (or JOC (James O'Connor)) sit at 12 outside one of them

To'omua & JOC (James O'Connor) just aren't 10s, they can play there but they are stop gap at best

I would like to see White at 9 if available so we can wedge experience inside & out, if not, Powell & Lolesio have some combination