• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So the race for 10 after round one is (IMO):
  1. Lolesio
  2. JOC (James O'Connor)
  3. Harrison
  4. To'omua
Based solely on this weekend's games. I'd have as :

1. Lolesio
2. To'omua
3. Harrison
4. JOC (James O'Connor)

I reckon Harrison outplayed JOC (James O'Connor) and Lolesio outplayed To'omua. JOC (James O'Connor) had a bit of a shocker really for the Reds. He did not handle the pressure of the rush defense at all and was forced into rushed kicks that had little tactical good to them, and he rarely if ever actually got the backline operating as a unit. To'omua had a strong tactical kicking game against the Brumbies, and I rated him ahead of Harrison.

Based on form over the year, and previously, I would have them in the order of :

1. To'omua
2. Lolesio
3. JOC (James O'Connor)
4. Harrison.

I reckon To'omua has the game strengths that Rennie will be looking for, and a heap of test experience behind him. Both Lolesio and Harrison are green and very risky if thrown into the test match cauldron unprepared, Lolesio has a couple of big name scalps already in Cruden, To'omua and I think JOC (James O'Connor) too at this level where he finished on top of each of them. He also [played better than Harrison during the early part of the season this year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That was my point, Lolesio and Ikitau as two rookies got seriously exposed against a NZ provincial team. Definitely no argument from that that Lolesio is the best performing 10. I would like to see him start a Bledisloe this year, although I think throwing him in to start game one could be counter productive to a player who has all the makings of our long term solution at 10. Get him to be part of it in game 1, bring him on in the second half when much of the heat has come out of the game, let him find his feet with a view to starting games 3 and 4. Take the long term view.

Seriously exposed? The Brumbies led that game to the end when they cruelled themselves by tempting Berry to intervene in a series of pick and drives to close the game out. And Berry, the ref who thought almost decapitating a Brumbies player was worth a penalty only when the disciplinary committee took quite a different view, duly obliged. Neither Lolesio nor the Brumbies were exposed by the opposition in that game. The team as a whole was responsible for the loss through their own actions at the end. It might have been Lolesio's worst game, but seriously exposed - no. And he followed up with one of the best No 10 games all year against Cruden at the Chiefs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually it's
1. Harrison
2. Daylight
3. Lolesio
4. JOC (James O'Connor)
5. To'omua

Harrison is stud at all forms of kicking and that's really what's important. He's not a Mike Harris either.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Seriously exposed? The Brumbies led that game to the end when they cruelled themselves by tempting Berry to intervene in a series of pick and drives to close the game out. And Berry, the ref who thought almost decapitating a Brumbies player was worth a penalty only when the disciplinary committee took quite a different view, duly obliged. Neither Lolesio nor the Brumbies were exposed by the opposition in that game. The team as a whole was responsible for the loss through their own actions at the end. It might have been Lolesio's worst game, but seriously exposed - no. And he followed up with one of the best No 10 games all year against Cruden at the Chiefs.

Perhaps watch the game again. As a neutral, I repeat I think Lolesio is the pick of the Australian 10s and as a New South Welshman am happy to rate him above Harrison at this point. But they targeted him in that game, rushed him to make decisions and he made several bad ones when under pressure, not only the charge down kick for the try but all game. It's a testament to the team that they were in it until the end particularly the forwards with the driving maul producing the three tries for Fainga'a. It wasn't a comment on the result or the referee. You seem to have taken it personally. It wasn't a reflection on his performance the following week. He is young, he is on a steep learning curve in a very strong team with dominant forwards and I dont believe he should be thrown into the furnace of the first Bledisloe at this stage of his development. Just my opinion.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually it's
1. Harrison
2. Daylight
3. Lolesio
4. JOC (James O'Connor)
5. To'omua

Harrison is stud at all forms of kicking and that's really what's important. He's not a Mike Harris either.

Yeah, nah.......... Harrison is maybe 3rd at best on this year's form, but more likely 4th.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting to see the different views. I think there is a realistic argument for any of the 4 options.

I do think some people should be cautious of much weight the put in Rennie picking the player they think is most in form. Experience and game style will certainly be factors. If I were to pick one of them at the moment I’d pick Harrison with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, but I could easily see Rennie picking the Brumby quartet in 9, 10, 12 & 13.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That's a pretty fair point.

I'd be bringing the likes of Lolesio, Harrison, Wilson, McDermott, McReight, Swain, Simone, Bell, Blyth, Gibbon, Swinton into the training squad, but in the end you might just run with this this year.

15 Banks
14 DHP
13 Kuridrani
12 To'omua
11 Koroiebete
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 White
8 Naisirani
7 Hooper
6 Samu
5 Simmons
4 Philip
3 Ala'alatoa
2 Fainga'a
1 Slipper

I understand the thinking, but honestly I’d be greatly disappointed with that team - based on one game. Let’s see how things pan out with more rugby, but if they are good enough they are good enough.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This would be mine at present:

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Simmons
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Samu
9. Powell
10. Harrison
11. Korobiete
12. Petaia
13. Kuridrani
14. Daugunu
15. Banks

16. Uelese
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. Swain
20. Wilson or Naisarani
21. McDermott
22. JOC (James O'Connor)
23. Maddocks

Not really sure about 12 at all, I don't like Petaia there although I think he needs to be in XV somewhere and big fan of Daugunu. I wouldn't mind Simone, Lolesio, JOC (James O'Connor) and even Meakes all there.

Swinton is a no brainer, we need that physical aggression in Tests - we've been crying out for a 6 to be an enforcer for ages. He'll lift the physicality of the players around him, think back to what Potgieter did for the Tahs in 2014/15.

To'omua really hasn't done anything special in the last 5 years. Move on from him I reckon.

Edit: forgot about White, how can we pick him if he's not playing any footy however?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I reckon Valetini is as aggressive as Swinton defensively, he just doesn’t yell in your face after he monsters you.
Does Swinton jump? that'd be a big advantage over Valetini imo. A test 6 should be able to jump - unless your 8 can.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
This would be mine at present:

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Simmons
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Samu
9. Powell
10. Harrison
11. Korobiete
12. Petaia
13. Kuridrani
14. Daugunu
15. Banks

16. Uelese
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. Swain
20. Wilson or Naisarani
21. McDermott
22. JOC (James O'Connor)
23. Maddocks

Not really sure about 12 at all, I don't like Petaia there although I think he needs to be in XV somewhere and big fan of Daugunu. I wouldn't mind Simone, Lolesio, JOC (James O'Connor) and even Meakes all there.

Swinton is a no brainer, we need that physical aggression in Tests - we've been crying out for a 6 to be an enforcer for ages. He'll lift the physicality of the players around him, think back to what Potgieter did for the Tahs in 2014/15.

To'omua really hasn't done anything special in the last 5 years. Move on from him I reckon.

Edit: forgot about White, how can we pick him if he's not playing any footy however?
Swinton had one good game and he's a no brainer? He was dropped from the Tahs starting 15 before the virus because he was poo and a penalty magnet. I'd pick Wright over him at 6. Happy to be proven wrong, but one decent game doth not a Wallaby make

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I seem to recall Swinton being beaten up by Valetini and the Brumbies backrow last time they met.......... boys v men kinda stuff.

The way in which Valetini was manhandling the giant Bok forwards last year makes him a no brainer in my view.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Does Swinton jump? that'd be a big advantage over Valetini imo. A test 6 should be able to jump - unless your 8 can.
Swinton can, he played lock for Sydney Uni in the early days and did well. I don't get the hype about Valentini. Showed promise early on before his injuries but has done little since, (kind of like the hype train that Uelessi was). IMHO Wright is vastly superior to both Valentini and Swinton

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Swinton can, he played lock for Sydney Uni in the early days and did well. I don't get the hype about Valentini. Showed promise early on before his injuries but has done little since, (kind of like the hype train that Uelessi was). IMHO Wright is vastly superior to both Valentini and Swinton

Watch some of the Brumbies matches over the last 12 months......... Valetini is a defensive behemoth, shifts bodies and gets over the gainline, and maintains a good workrate.

Wright is a completely different style of player - he's essentially a tall openside flanker.

B

Bobby Sands

Wrongerz all day for mine too.

Would be very surprised if Rennie doesn't see it that way too.

Valentini over Swinton FWIW, but Swinton had a good game on the weekend. No doubt about that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Nah, Wright is being misused at 6. He is the best 7, so pick him there.

B

Bobby Sands

Nah, Wright is being misused at 6. He is the best 7, so pick him there.

Right.

Because all sixes need to be lumbering, and all that.

Wright hits harder, carries harder, pilfers better, and is better in the lineout.

Think he makes a pretty decent 6, no matter what he weighs.