• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’d be very hard pressed to leave TK out. He always fires against the ABs and if we have a young 10 or other new combinations we’ll need him running the defensive line.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
No - Douglas was capped for Scotland.

I don’t think there is any risk of TK being left out barring injury. Even if Petaia comes back and kills it I would say there is more chance of them picking both.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Was Petaia a hamstring injury? Can't remember. In any event I hope they are cautious with him - he is a potential long term superstar for Qld and Aus. Love to see him back, but would hate to see a recurrence. TK must be in there for experience alone (and he's good!). Others can play wing, which would be my preference rather than Petaia right away.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Shoulder from memory.

Certainly I’d rather they hold him back then risk bringing him back early, but if he is fit and in form I’d definitely find a spot for him. And his best spot might be 13, but he is also an excellent winger.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Shoulder from memory.

Certainly I’d rather they hold him back then risk bringing him back early, but if he is fit and in form I’d definitely find a spot for him. And his best spot might be 13, but he is also an excellent winger.
Oh, no doubt he is easily good enough. This year is going to be pretty fucked up - I wouldn't bet on the Tests all happening to be honest - if the positions can be covered, I'd rather a conservative approach with players this special. But, if he plays, more interest in watching!

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Phillip
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. White
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Korobiete
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Daugunu
15. Banks

16. Mafi
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. Neville
20. Wright
21. McDermott
22. Petaia
23. Maddocks

Think this is definitely our best team. Will Harrison would get bullied at test level, Lolessio could have a crack. Thought about the idea of dropping maddocks off and swapping him for Lolessio. Have opted with two play makers in To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor), have TK for the crash ball and a very exciting back three who can score points. I don't think anyone can go past the back row I have selected, we have some ball carrying threats, a presence at the breakdown and two good lineout options in Samu and Naisarani.

Thoughts?

I would prefer Valetini to Samu at 6. Think Pete will be a contender off the bench. In the backs, I'd swap To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor). Both have bad habits that disrupt the flow of play along the backline, MT kicks too much while JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't show his ability to set up play at 10. As a Brumbies supporter, I still rate Joe Powell the better No 9 against Tate McDermott but it's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Joe's exclusion or limited opportunities over the past 4 years is reminiscent of the treatment Nic White received from both coaches and fans at large before he left for overseas.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Petaia had a shoulder reconstruction. Leave him to heal ffs or he'll never get onto the field again. Is he even 20 years old yet?

RE the overseas selections - I think that's actually a great idea, but i'd cap it at 1 or 2. Really make it clear it's only for emergencies when we need cover in a certain position or the current options aren't even close to the overseas option.

Atm, Rory Arnold is the only one who'd qualify for that and with Rennie's attitude as well, i think that strikes a nice balance there. I'd almost even set the rules as - if we need a call up, RA directly compensates the club they player is coming from, though I guess it's fair to provide match bonuses.

B

Bobby Sands

Was Petaia a hamstring injury? Can't remember. In any event I hope they are cautious with him - he is a potential long term superstar for Qld and Aus. Love to see him back, but would hate to see a recurrence. TK must be in there for experience alone (and he's good!). Others can play wing, which would be my preference rather than Petaia right away.

Paisami smacked him in training and stole his spot!

Thorny loved it...

Can’t wait to see him back however.

B

Bobby Sands

Really don't think we need Kerevi that much. Seems to me that some of our attacks in the SRAu are better than any when Kerevi was part of the (Reds/Wallabies) teams. Not saying he isn't a top notch player, but just that there is little cohesion or variety in attack when he's playing.

Having watched him a lot I truly believe this. He’s a one man army.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He does need to learn to pass more but to say we’re better off without Kerevi is just blasphemous. How soon people forget..

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Petaia had a shoulder reconstruction. Leave him to heal ffs or he'll never get onto the field again. Is he even 20?.
I am working of the assumption that the trained medical staff that they have looking after his recovery are concerned about his well being.

I think the concerns around his injury history also ignore that he has had 3 seperate, unrelated injuries. He keeps getting compared to CFS - but Chris has ongoing recurring problems with his hamstrings that were attributed by at least one Reds coach as being a result of a poorly designed S&C system he was put through at school. From everything I’ve read they are very happy with Petaia’s physical development.

No one here wants to see him exposed too early, but if his medical staff are happy with his recovery how is it a benefit for him to go work in the gym.

At the end of the day he could come back and re-injure the shoulder in the first game back and that still isn’t proof that the medical staff haven’t done the right thing by him. Any of these guys could get a career ending injury tomorrow.

B

Bobby Sands

Sautia is very robust now, and it’s ridiculous how often he starts on the bench only to come on and out perform most on field. Criminally underrated.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Robust is one word for him. :)

I’m not sure he is underrated any more Bobby. I think Thorn is just a bit stuck trying to balance his side, particularly around the goal kicking.I know JOC (James O'Connor) stepped up at the end, but there is obviously some reason that Hegarty assumes the duties early on.

And prior to this we also had Speight in the mix.

But I am hoping for the next game JOC (James O'Connor) is right to kick and they put Campbell back at 15 and CFS on the wing.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
No - Douglas was capped for Scotland.

I don’t think there is any risk of TK being left out barring injury. Even if Petaia comes back and kills it I would say there is more chance of them picking both.

Murray is not capped for Scotland. Has lived in Australia for more than 5 years, so in theory should be eligible, though he did have a loan deal with Edinburgh or Glasgow during RWC19

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Phillip
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. White
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Korobiete
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Daugunu
15. Banks

16. Mafi
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. Neville
20. Wright
21. McDermott
22. Petaia
23. Maddocks

Thoughts?

Hard to disagree with much of this.

I still have Valetini ahead of Wright, but only marginally, and you could certainly make the argument for the inclusion of Wilson on a 6-2 split bench. I also have Tom Wright and Muirhead ahead of Daugunu, but appreciate the differences he brings. I would start Petaia ahead of all of them on the wing if fit.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Murray is not capped for Scotland. Has lived in Australia for more than 5 years, so in theory should be eligible, though he did have a loan deal with Edinburgh or Glasgow during RWC19
I stand correct. I googled it and everything - I just probably should have read the link I found a bit better :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

He played for the Hurricanes in 2018 Super Rugby. You need to do 5 years of continuous residence to meet that eligibility requirement. I can't see him being Wallaby eligible (ever given he is 30).

B

Bobby Sands

He played for the Hurricanes in 2018 Super Rugby. You need to do 5 years of continuous residence to meet that eligibility requirement. I can't see him being Wallaby eligible (ever given he is 30).

Yeah, he ain't playing. But he was a great signing for the Ponies.

That kiwi list manager they scooped up is bloody great.