• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'll start:

12 teams: 6 Kiwi, 5 Aus, 1 PI

Ten teams : 5/5 Aus and NZ teams with the Force. Home and away for 18 games plus top 4 Finals.
Ten teams : 5/4 NZ and Aus with the Force continuing with GRR and the 10th team being a PI squad. Home and away for 18 games plus top 4 Finals.
Eleven teams : 5/5 Aus and NZ with the Force and a PI team. Home and away with 1 bye for 20 and a top 6 finals series.

And then your model. Either home and away for 22 rounds and a 6 team finals series or one and a half rounds with an emphasis on national derbies for 16 rounds plus a 6 team finals series.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not what I’ll go with but my prediction:

5 NZ, 4 Aus (sorry Force) and one PI located either in Suva, Western Sydney or somewhere in NZ.

18 matches (home and away)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
9 or 10 - 5 NZ 3/4 Aus 1 PI

The kiwis love a bye so that they don’t burn out their players - so probably 9

You can just build byes in with 10 teams anyway, you don't need an uneven amount, actually even amount is better give a couple of teams a bye each week from about week 6-7.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Year 1: 5 x NZ + 3 x RA (sorry Rebs, I just don't see RA being able to afford 4 with the money they're likely to get from Fox & it would be stupid to shut down Australia's most successful franchise) + Force assuming Twiggy is prepared to keep funding it. Full home & away regular season, top-4 finals series.

Year 2 at the earliest: the above + PI once they sort out the ownership structure & where to base it: if PI then you have infrastructure & potentially travel/ accommodation issues; if Western Sydney or Auckland then it potentially impacts 'tahs or Blues in various ways incl access to sponsorship. Same format. Possible Champions League-type comp with what will by then be a pretty formidable (on paper at least) Japanese domestic comp to follow.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Ten teams : 5/5 Aus and NZ teams with the Force. Home and away for 18 games plus top 4 Finals.

This. And either the Rebels or Brumbies to come up with a deal (with WR (World Rugby)) to play 2-3 games per year in Fiji and/or Samoa, and have access to 6-8 players from that country (already capped).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Year 1: 5 x NZ + 3 x RA (sorry Rebs, I just don't see RA being able to afford 4 with the money they're likely to get from Fox & it would be stupid to shut down Australia's most successful franchise) + Force assuming Twiggy is prepared to keep funding it. Full home & away regular season, top-4 finals series.

Hi WoB.

You map out a legitimate international club comp featuring some Aus teams. But it lacks for being a representational Australian sport. Possibly changes more positively if you lock in the Force.

I would support my team in that international comp.

But return to an Australian Rugby perspective and RA should in no way financially support it - we can't afford to. So in your planning look to how that competition is to be made financially sustainable without funding from RA. We will have gifted you our best - it is enough of a gift to Kiwi rugby by far.

Let RA focus then back on the core of Australian rugby.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^^

To follow this, and I think it is inevitable, it greatly reduces our options domestically. Ether the domestic comp is some sort of play off following the club scene finals, or we look to a NRC style thing that follows after the Kiwi+friends comp. Parallel to the international season.

It's not my preferred solution, but we are left picking at the crumbs after the Kiwis arrogate the best of Australian rugby.

Again - I think this is the reality that faces us.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well just watched Breakdown, and was real interesting conversation with Dave Rennie on it. Among other things he said , was that Australia rugby absolutely had to be playing NZ in super , (seems like me) he thinks Aus rugby needs strong games for the good young fellas to develop, and he rightfully pointed out there some good ones there. Also said he definitely believes with and exception or 2 that players need to be play in Aus team to get picked for Wallabies for variable reasons, ie fitness programmes, mentoring of young players etc!

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Well just watched Breakdown, and was real interesting conversation with Dave Rennie on it. Among other things he said , was that Australia rugby absolutely had to be playing NZ in super , (seems like me) he thinks Aus rugby needs strong games for the good young fellas to develop, and he rightfully pointed out there some good ones there. Also said he definitely believes with and exception or 2 that players need to be play in Aus team to get picked for Wallabies for variable reasons, ie fitness programmes, mentoring of young players etc!

Of course he was going to say that, he is the coach. playing NZ in super is good for his position, is it good for the game in Australia.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
newshub reporting that NZR's review recommends scrapping Super Rugby in favour of a TT + combined PI comp with SANZAAR existing for the sole purpose of running TRC.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...ails-of-nz-rugby-s-aratipu-review-emerge.html

It's perhaps unfortunate that after years of stubbornly even refusing to consider TT because of the desire to "test themselves against SA teams in SA conditions," at the 11th hour NZRU has a road to Damascus conversion when rugby here is at its lowest ebb.

I remember Clyne saying that we couldn't pull out of Super Rugby because NZ would fly over us to play in SA. He should have called the bluff.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This. And either the Rebels or Brumbies to come up with a deal (with WR (World Rugby)) to play 2-3 games per year in Fiji and/or Samoa, and have access to 6-8 players from that country (already capped).

Interested in your thoughts behind this suggestion RY. The Brumbies have arguably the best current and future-proofed rosters in the country. Why would you think they'd be looking for 6-8 Fiji/Samoa players? And both teams struggle for crowds at home. Costs of playing a couple of games in the Islands might send either one to the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.