• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah. Messy game. Let’s hope the quality gets better leading into round 1. The QLD U20 Academy players weren’t playing so that had some impact on the quality.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Season 2020 2.0 is upon us!
Who are the favourites in the colts competition?
From what I have heard Uni and Brothers will be strong.
Souths putting most of their winning side from 2019 in Premier grade should have some what of a detrimental effect on their colts side.
What about the others? How's everyone looking?

Souths have also lost Reno Gerrard and Callum McDonald as well as something 10 others to grades. Would be very surprised if they’re top 6

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
We’re ready to roll.
Setting aside all of the hyperbole of club allegiances this year will be interesting for the following reasons

firstly some clubs will have returning boys some player who are third year colts and are used to the rigours of senior club footy. So I expect the impact of schoolboy superstars to be lessened.
Some clubs will be managing guys into grades and won’t have the emphasis on colts.
the short season will assist someone first year players as it is less of a grind.
Fitness could be an issue for some who have never had to look after there own fitness before.
I expect the same clubs to be in the running being
Souths very deep colts program won both Colts 1 and 2 last year and have recruited fairly well.
Brothers the production line keeps on rolling down Nudgee Rd
UQ Smart team with quite a few returning for the third year.
Bond are my team to displace the Bank they have a strong program and the shorter season may well suit them.
The first trial should be feisty being a Grand Final rematch between Brothers and Souths two team that do not like each other very much.
Thoughts.

Setting aside all of the hyperbole of club allegiances this year will be interesting for the following reasons

firstly some clubs will have returning boys some player who are third year colts and are used to the rigours of senior club footy. So I expect the impact of schoolboy superstars to be lessened.
Some clubs will be managing guys into grades and won’t have the emphasis on colts.
the short season will assist someone first year players as it is less of a grind.
Fitness could be an issue for some who have never had to look after there own fitness before.
Souths very deep colts program won both Colts 1 and 2 last year and have recruited fairly well.
Bond are my team to displace the Bank they have a strong program and the shorter season may well suit them.
The first trial should be feisty being a Grand Final rematch between Brothers and Souths two team that do not like each other very much.
Thoughts.

Who have Souths got

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
First year of Colts being U20’s .

Couple of things to consider , bigger age group difference for those leaving school and grades are going to be calling for those who have already been playing club footy .

For me really hard to get a read on who will do well.

First year out of school boys are jumping in the deep end , but then again the best of the 20 year olds will most likely be running around in grades .

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
First year of Colts being U20’s .

Couple of things to consider , bigger age group difference for those leaving school and grades are going to be calling for those who have already been playing club footy .

For me really hard to get a read on who will do well.

First year out of school boys are jumping in the deep end , but then again the best of the 20 year olds will most likely be running around in grades .
Stepping up from school rugby to an u20’s side is going to be an interesting one. My biggest fear is that we don’t want to lose good players who usually make the first team and are now slotted into a 2nd or 3rd team. 17 and 18 year olds have an ego and a ‘fuck this’ attitude.
The players who have continued to train at an intense level over the past 6 months will have an edge but the ones who have been half cocked with struggle with the physicality. The clubs with decent coaching staff will manage this transition well. I think there will huge gap between the top 3 teams and the others. The race will be on between the Brethren and the Heavies.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The players who I think will step up this year -
Mac Grearly - Few games in Prems
Will Roach- more Prems than Colts
Kiani
Dion Samuela
Creighton
Vella
George Gibson
Nonggor
Titi
Lucas Ripley

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Thoughts.
Yeah, who have Souths got? I would be surprised if they’re in the top half teams this year. Any decent players will be moved into grades considering the mass departures.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Stepping up from school rugby to an u20’s side is going to be an interesting one. My biggest fear is that we don’t want to lose good players who usually make the first team and are now slotted into a 2nd or 3rd team. 17 and 18 year olds have an ego and a ‘fuck this’ attitude.
The players who have continued to train at an intense level over the past 6 months will has an edge but the ones who have been half cocked with struggle with the physicality. The clubs with decent coaching staff will manage this transition well. I think there will huge gap between the top 3 teams and the others. The race will be on between the Brethren and the Heavies.

Stepping up and also accepting "their place" in the pecking order is the challenge for the coaches and players.
I made a comment earlier in regards to this. Players should take their blinkers off if they want to play prem colts grade and understand where they sit within their club. Short season this year, so if they want to play with their mates stay with the club and play in the lower grades, otherwise go and play for the club next door, it would better them and the comp.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Mr Oldschool,

I am not sure I understand your message. I understood the first part of it to mean that everyone should accept "their place" in the pecking order for the greater benefit of the Club, in that meaning taken, that Club trumps interests of the individual. But then it seems that you advocate a grass may be greener approach at "the club next door" where it may be better all around (including the competition)

Some clarity if you would good sir.

For what it is worth I am in agreement to the bigger idea of Club, Merit and Proof . Moreso when it is consistently applied. It is just that it seems that the Alf Stewarts who huff n puff year in and year out about how the cheeky tykes need to do this and need to do that, are also the same ones who either openly froth about many of these that basically have done nothing special other than have a recognizable name , or , tolerate the status quo and don't call bullshit on the splooge boosters that just keep chirping the same names around.

It is sort of the biggest issue that Rugby has got (downstream) and which it can't afford to have as it gets found out (upstream) and it has become significantly worse over the last 4 to 5 years.

Hey all love to Harry Wilson but are we that desperate for stars that there were those that proclaimed him better than Mark Loane after his 2nd or 3rd game for Queensland? It would seem the answer to that question is yes.

Also, to the guy that talked about fitness being a factor? Pfffffff. If anything it is likely less of a factor in the shortened season in that the guys that are fundamentally out of shape or imbalanced don't get found out with injuries as much as they would in a longer season.

At the end of the day no one should be giving a rats ass about anything other than trying to constantly improve and be accountable - Clubs and their management personnel as much as the players, and not waste time and energy with all the posturing but to direct that into the doing which should be the only thing that matters

Status
Not open for further replies.