• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's semantics, but Beale rarely played 15 for the Waratahs. His first stint was spent at 10, and his second stint at 12 with Izzy at fullback.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'd pick you up on one point TSR. I haven't said Lolesio (that I can recall) should be the Wallaby 10 (yet), just that he iswell in front of Harrison atm. I fully expect To'omua will fill thetest No 10 spot this year.

My gripe really is that some posters are quite vocal about Harrison being the best of the newbies when his form at the Tahs is nowhere near as impressive as Noah's at the Brumbies. Being an integral part of a successful team should not diminish his performances in any way. Should really be the opposite as his form is proven while with Will atm it is mainly speculation.

Fair BR. But I guess my contention is your last statement is incorrect - I don’t think there is any speculation involved. On the contrary I think Harrison has played extremely well for the Tahs and I guess I feel that his form is being somewhat ignored by some due to the performance of the team. Lolesio may have a better highlights real but he has been delivered a hand of Aces (but you’re right, his form shouldn’t be downplayed because he has such a strong group around him. He has been a key contributor and deserves the praise he is getting). Harrison has been given a much tougher hand, but has been no less impressive IMO. In fact, and I guess this is the key for me, I feel Harrison has been more impressive both because I think he was a more complete game and because he is a 20 year old playmaker in a team that has been mostly sub par and he is fronting and delivering a good performance most weeks.

Anyway, the good thing I know we both agree on is it’s great to see some genuine young talent that is getting stuck in and doing well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is going to be hard to judge the form this season as we aren't playing anyone hard. (only among ourselves) usually the standard ramps up markedly as the comp ramps up

I don't see the ponies being really put under any real pressure, so I expect a few issues in the first few wobs games when the standard have to rapidly rise

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It is going to be hard to judge the form this season as we aren't playing anyone hard. (only among ourselves) usually the standard ramps up markedly as the comp ramps up

I don't see the ponies being really put under any real pressure, so I expect a few issues in the first few wobs games when the standard have to rapidly rise
I think a possibles vs probables match would be pretty useful this year if it could be arranged.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
You do understand the concept of "all time", do you? As for the concept of "athlete" as opposed to "footballer": no, apparently I don't share your learned view.

But just on the subject of the vertical leap, (which apparently is the magic attribute), as my final contribution to this rather silly debate a couple of examples. No doubt you have taken them into account in your evaluation?

David Hillhouse had such an amazing vertical leap that the Wallaby coach at the time invited Test referees to watch him at training so that they would not penalise the side for lifting him.

Stephen "Skylab" Cutler was also a wonderful jumper, Mark Ella credited him with being the difference between the 1981 and Grand Slam winning 1984 Wallaby side - "his jumping in the lineouts was the difference". He was also a pretty handy 400 metres hurdler. No lifting back then, either.

Edward "Weary" Dunlop (a second rower, as we used to be called) held the Australian record for the standing long jump. Are these three "athletes"?

Michael Cleary was an actual athlete. Izzy was not. He was a footballer, with athletic abilities.

Thank you, and good night.

Are you trolling on purpose with these examples? If so, well done.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fair BR. But I guess my contention is your last statement is incorrect - I don’t think there is any speculation involved. On the contrary I think Harrison has played extremely well for the Tahs and I guess I feel that his form is being somewhat ignored by some due to the performance of the team. Lolesio may have a better highlights real but he has been delivered a hand of Aces (but you’re right, his form shouldn’t be downplayed because he has such a strong group around him. He has been a key contributor and deserves the praise he is getting). Harrison has been given a much tougher hand, but has been no less impressive IMO. In fact, and I guess this is the key for me, I feel Harrison has been more impressive both because I think he was a more complete game and because he is a 20 year old playmaker in a team that has been mostly sub par and he is fronting and delivering a good performance most weeks.

Anyway, the good thing I know we both agree on is it’s great to see some genuine young talent that is getting stuck in and doing well.

Just two observations TSR. The Rebels had the Brumbies on the back foot last week but both Joe Powell and Noah Lolesio outplayed their respective direct opponents, including the incumbent No 10. Neither of them rely entirely on the strength of the Brumbies as a team to show their best.

Also, the Tahs No 9 is dealt the same hand, essentially, as Harrison at 10. Does that mean the Short should be the Wallabies No 9 because there haven't been any poor reports about his performances behind the powder puff pigs? But on that score, Louwrens outplayed McDermott for most of the match today, also behind a badly beaten pack. Is he now in the mix?

Winning form is the best form. As we know, it becomes a bit habit forming. I know which way I would go if a team had to be picked right now and if both To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) were to be not considered for poor form reasons.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The player I’m most interested in watching tonight is Ian Prior. Personally I don’t think any of the halfbacks from the other 4 franchises are worthy of gold. We’re looking for Whites understudy, and possible successor. Longer term it’s a bigger dilemma than 10 for me.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Also, the Tahs No 9 is dealt the same hand, essentially, as Harrison at 10. Does that mean the Short should be the Wallabies No 9 because there haven't been any poor reports about his performances behind the powder puff pigs? But on that score, Louwrens outplayed McDermott for most of the match today, also behind a badly beaten pack. Is he now in the mix?
No - Mitch Short isn’t in the mix because his personal form doesn’t warrant it. Harrison’s personal form does.

Louwrens is a bit down the pecking order for me, but in a field of 5 for two spots (assuming White is first pick) he has a chance.

Also I think you’re over-playing the Rebels forward performance last week. Sure, they had some good parts and they did well in the scrum, but Powell & Lolesio had plenty of front foot ball.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The player I’m most interested in watching tonight is Ian Prior. Personally I don’t think any of the halfbacks from the other 4 franchises are worthy of gold. We’re looking for Whites understudy, and possible successor. Longer term it’s a bigger dilemma than 10 for me.

Really? I'm high on McDermott. Snipes well, passes well from the base, and has a good long kicking game. As it stands I'm picking him in the 23 as a backup to White.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
At this stage I feel like Jono Lance could change the whole 10 debate pretty quickly, he was right on the edge of the wallabies for a couple of years before leaving and I feel he's a more natural and willing 10 than To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor). Obviously it'll all depend on the form he shows for the force, but he might end up being the ideal experienced option to help in easing in Lolesio/Harrison, if Rennie doesn't feel they're ready or doesn't want to through them in the deep end against the All Blacks.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
To’omua, JOC (James O'Connor) and Lolesio are all better suited to 12 or 13. Harrison is the only one on the current Super Rugby circuit that I see as a potential. Jono Lance could be a potential candidate for the Wallabies job, but his last year at the Reds was not the best and haven’t seen him play since. Maybe he has stepped it up. I’d be investing dollars into Harrison at this point as he is the smartest flyhalf who can control a game better than all mentioned. Lolesio is playing out of his skin and great in attack but he will never have the rugby IQ that Harrison has.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It is not a good sign when there are 5 contenders for the 10 jersey, without any one of them standing out.

Not sure I agree with that, 2-3 incumbents have left which would leave any national side's 10 jersey open. Definitely don't see it as a bad sign that all 5 starting super 10's are in contention for the wallabies jersey. We're 1.5 rounds into the new season, it'll take time for an individual to be truly standing out.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Really? I'm high on McDermott. Snipes well, passes well from the base, and has a good long kicking game. As it stands I'm picking him in the 23 as a backup to White.
McDermott is a light year ahead of the other contenders (minus White) atm. He’s all class. Rebels would of won comfortably last nights if he was on their team.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Fairly sure I saw Tate put in some good tackles on guys who are double his weight. With the way he plays, he seems like a guy who has his rugby brain on during the game. Definitely the inform 9 in Australia ATM.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Seems pretty perfect to have White, who plays a structured game, starting the test match with Tate exploiting holes in the defence in the last 20.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If we are talking about Jono Lance as a real option for 10, then Quade and Foley come roaring back into the equation. I'd say they are both better then Lance and similar age.

Don't think that is going to happen tbh.

Lolesio and Harrison to be developed, To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) as options to hold down the fort as it happens.