• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Solid game from Kemeny tonight, he has great work rate. Needs to add some point of difference to his attacking game otherwise he will just turn into an honest toiler with amazing work rate.

Hosea was very good when he came on, his ability to hold players up in the tackle is something that could give opposition coaches something to think about going forward. He’s got a decent future ahead of him.

Philip was good, Magnay solid and the front row is worthy of their spots. Add Naisarani to the pack and it’s a decent unit.

Louwrens for the second week in a row was fairly rubbish. His game is based on asserting pressure which is great for teams playing without the ball but I think the new rules don’t really lean towards that. He needs to drastically improve his pass, it’s very sloppy in shape and slow when it does come.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Two selection changes I think the Rebels need to make:
Boyd Killingworth- give the guy a go! Would look to see him get a cameo off the bench or start in place of Hardwick. His breakdown presence is phenomenal and has a high work rate.

Esei Ha'angana- bit harsh, but I honestly don't think he adds anything when he comes onto the field. He is a passenger, with Hosea already on the bench, I don't think he should be in the 23.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Boyd Killingworth- give the guy a go! Would look to see him get a cameo off the bench or start in place of Hardwick. His breakdown presence is phenomenal and has a high work rate.

Esei Ha'angana- bit harsh, but I honestly don't think he adds anything when he comes onto the field. He is a passenger, with Hosea already on the bench, I don't think he should be in the 23.
Ha’angana I agree appears to be lacking something, I’m prepared to give him the season to show growth but not sure if it will come. I actually think Hardwick has been alright the first 2 matches. Strangely I think his best position is as a point of difference off the bench, but given the current squad he’s the best 7 available. Brad Wilkin I believe would be the best no.7 in the team, but has had lots of injury issues.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)

Killingworth did his knee in the Rebels v Brumbies A game at Quins before lockdown.

B

Bobby Sands

So I only saw this on second viewing but the To'omua cutout to Magnay was incredibly slick.

Magnay runs an unders line, and then changes to an overs line (which gets him on the outside shoulder of Hunter) To'omua throws a beautiful pass that is not only flat but the timing of both players (Magnay changing direction, To'omua hitting him as he gets on outside) is stunning.

Hunter was left flat footed in no mans land, and it nearly led to a try.

Lovely stuff.

It’s around 25 mins in.

Reactions: dru

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What a tired argument - I'd like to see the average gate at AAMI when a Kiwi team came to town - at a guess it would be north of 12k I reckon.

And Melbourne has a huge Pasifika population - I would think NZRU would want a GUARANTEE that Melbourne are in the comp.
Hoiles is a NSW dick. Seriously, don’t base it on any facts. We get more than the Brumbies a lot of the time, but don’t let the facts get in the way of the opinion of a meat head. Anyway, we hold the license in Melbourne, so it is not as simple as just “dropping us”.

I feel better now.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
But what do we hold a licence for - I think it's a comp that doesn't exist.

I think it's directly with RA, not SANZAAR. If they want to "cut" the Rebels, they would have to breat a binding contract. And face Tim North in Court.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Guys I don’t even think it’s worth discussing. Infact the more we discuss it the more mainstream it becomes. It’s time to always look forward and discuss how to get better. Plus I’m a big fan of owning the rhetoric, which is something we lost control of in the past, if you hear something or discuss something enough it eventual becomes part of the discussion if it’s true or not.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Guys I don’t even think it’s worth discussing. Infact the more we discuss it the more mainstream it becomes. It’s time to always look forward and discuss how to get better. Plus I’m a big fan of owning the rhetoric, which is something we lost control of in the past, if you hear something or discuss something enough it eventual becomes part of the discussion if it’s true or not.
That is very true. Good point, sir!

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I think it's directly with RA, not SANZAAR. If they want to "cut" the Rebels, they would have to breat a binding contract. And face Tim North in Court.

I'm less confident. Holding a Super Rugby licence whether from SANZAAR or RA gives us a right to participate in Super Rugby. Damages maybe from RA for not proceeding with Super Rugby, but unlikely as I am sure some sort of force majeure clause would have been triggered by the pandemic.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

Whilst I disagree that discussing it here is going to make anything mainstream, I think the more important aspect will be the Rebels relationship with private equity. With a comp that is seeking teams, and at minimum discussions underway with KKR, why couldn't we be one of the financially viable teams who play in the kiwi comp. There is no reason that the Reds and Tahs have to exist in a kiwi comp. NZ doesn't need the brand loyalty - their expats are all over the country.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)

:)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What a tired argument - I'd like to see the average gate at AAMI when a Kiwi team came to town - at a guess it would be north of 12k I reckon.

And Melbourne has a huge Pasifika population - I would think NZRU would want a GUARANTEE that Melbourne are in the comp.

I've suggested a solution in the past. If KKR are looking to buy into the Rebels and Forrest continues to fund the Force then they should both be allowed to source the best talent available regardless of nationality with their only responsibility in terms of Australian eligible talent being bringing through local talent. And I'm talking about salary cap need not apply build the best squads you can with local Melbourne/Perth developed players alongside international talent.

Then RA could use the Tahs, Reds and Brumbies as the primary selection vessels for the Wallabies. Not the only as of course the local player form the Rebels and Force would be eligible but the pressure on the two primary nurseries will be lessened and it should lead to more competitive teams all round.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've suggested a solution in the past. If KKR are looking to buy into the Rebels and Forrest continues to fund the Force then they should both be allowed to source the best talent available regardless of nationality with their only responsibility in terms of Australian eligible talent being bringing through local talent. And I'm talking about salary cap need not apply build the best squads you can with local Melbourne/Perth developed players alongside international talent.

Then RA could use the Tahs, Reds and Brumbies as the primary selection vessels for the Wallabies. Not the only as of course the local player form the Rebels and Force would be eligible but the pressure on the two primary nurseries will be lessened and it should lead to more competitive teams all round.
This was exactly the model that the previous private owners wanted. Employ whoever they could get, develop a winning team and get the local support, dare i say grow the game. It gets back to what you see “super” rugby as, a stand alone competition or merely a feeder to the national teams. It can be both, but the latter does put restraints on the playing talent available. No one who supports Barcelona or Real Madrid or Chelsea, expect all the players to be eligible for Spain or England. If the Rebels or the Force or the Tahs were winning teams, the supporters wouldnt care if a player was born in Auburn or Albury or Albania.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This was exactly the model that the previous private owners wanted. Employ whoever they could get, develop a winning team and get the local support, dare i say grow the game. It gets back to what you see “super” rugby as, a stand alone competition or merely a feeder to the national teams. It can be both, but the latter does put restraints on the playing talent available. No one who supports Barcelona or Real Madrid or Chelsea, expect all the players to be eligible for Spain or England. If the Rebels or the Force or the Tahs were winning teams, the supporters wouldnt care if a player was born in Auburn or Albury or Albania.

Hey I support your thrust, but as a note the bold bit has actually negatively impacted the national game, certainly of England.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes and probably had a deleterious effect on French rugby, till recently. I just think that there are two competing narratives and that in order to have a successful professional comp we need to have product that is marketable. The corollary is that the Wallabbies should be able to select anyone who is eligible, wherever they play.

Reactions: dru