• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The goal of any virus is to propagate, that is to be highly infectious, but not kill the host

If it is really effective at killing the host, then it dies out too

I gather that was the issue with Ebola, very lethal but flamed out quickly. This virus appears to be highly contagious but maybe getting less lethal if the cases in the US are anything to go by.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I gather that was the issue with Ebola, very lethal but flamed out quickly. This virus appears to be highly contagious but maybe getting less lethal if the cases in the US are anything to go by.
I think the US are seeing a lot of young people being infected who have lower morbidity rates. Watching the pga tour there are a few golfers and caddies who have been infected now and it hasn’t had any ramifications for the tournaments. It seems they’ve almost given up over there. I’m hoping that doesn’t mean that the intel they’re getting on vaccine development is negative and they see no point in holding out for one.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Maybe some of those young people are just thinking of others, not wanting to pass on COVID whilst being asymptomatic themselves.

from the same piece

Other than that I recommend reading John P A Ioannidis’ latest work in which he describes the global situation based on data on May 1st 2020: People below 65 years old make up only 0.6 to 2.6 % of all fatal Covid cases. To get on top of the pandemic, we need a strategy merely concentrating on the protection of at-risk people over 65. If that’s the opinion of a top expert, a second lockdown is simply a no-go.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
from the same piece

To get on top of the pandemic, we need a strategy merely concentrating on the protection of at-risk people over 65.
So, maybe asking under-65s to wear masks could be part of that strategy? Or do we simply tell over-65s to stay at home for the next 12 months?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To get on top of the pandemic, we need a strategy merely concentrating on the protection of at-risk people over 65.
So, maybe asking under-65s to wear masks could be part of that strategy? Or do we simply tell over-65s to stay at home for the next 12 months?

A smart at risk person should be able to make reasonable informed decisions for themselves

I wear a mask when I see my mum who has an autoimmune disorder - not walking around outside in Sydney

For those at real risk, we should be doing more, I could see help with food deliveries and actions to help them actually getting healthier

One of the big issues in the US for those at risk under 60 was a BMI > 40

They are big unhealthy units - but no we hear no actions to help them sort their shit out

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A smart at risk person should be able to make reasonable informed decisions for themselves

I wear a mask when I see my mum who has an autoimmune disorder - not walking around outside in Sydney

For those at real risk, we should be doing more, I could see help with food deliveries and actions to help them actually getting healthier

One of the big issues in the US for those at risk under 60 was a BMI > 40

They are big unhealthy units - but no we hear no actions to help them sort their shit out

The only reasonable way to protect over 65 year olds and other at risk people is by keeping the number of cases low. It becomes impossible otherwise.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I got as far as point 2.
on what basis has the virus Disappeared in summer?
the yanks are breaking records for New daily infections.
No point reading the rest.

OK, the yanks are, but most of the NH isn't, the article makes some reasonable points and he isn't a "quack" by any means

https://expertinova.com/page/cv-bedastadler
Beda M. Stadler, former Director of the University Institute of Immunology at the Insel Hospital in Bern, is emerited professor of Immunology from the Medical Faculty of the University of Bern. His major research interests were in basic research in the field of allergy and autoimmunity as well as applied research in the field of immunology.

As Vice President of the Commission for Technology and Innovation (CTI) Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research EAER Switzerland he was heading the life science team and was a member of the CTI Start-up & Entrepreneurship label board.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So in summary he says masks are a waste of time, and virus disappears in summer( you sure he’s not the Orange dotard).and bases that on the European experience where masks and social distancing is practised.

Meanwhile in America in summertime,where masks and social distancing aren’t universally adopted.
it’s running amok.....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So in summary he says masks are a waste of time, and virus disappears in summer( you sure he’s not the Orange dotard).and bases that on the European experience where masks and social distancing is practised.

Meanwhile in America in summertime,where masks and social distancing aren’t universally adopted.
it’s running amok...

He is talking about Switzerland

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^that totally ignores his behaviour throughout the year.
its a hoax.
it will go away.
weve found a treatment.
open up!!!!
he has consistently and loudly recommended behaviours in direct opposition to his experts.
dont wear masks.
lets have a rally for 60k, without ANY safety measures.
etc
etc.
etc

Even today, he is reported to have been outrageously critical of Doctors, health workers and governors for being dishonest about the severity of the virus. As POTUS, he has almost god-like adulation in the USofA, and his words really do hold sway with a large part of the population.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If Trump has no say or influence on how the Governor's respond, why did he feel it necessary to incite the locals to 'uprise' against the local governments by telling 'Liberate Michigan'.

The one thing Trump can take to the 2020 election is, he didn't have to build that wall. The rest of the world has cut off Americans from visiting their countries.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
How can ordinary punters or Presidents trust medical advisors when stuff like this egregious error is happening?
A Florida hospital handling COVID-19 tests confirmed to media this week that its near-100% positivity rate was overstated by a factor of 10, raising already-heightened concerns that numerous labs are over reporting the number of confirmed infections. (Just the News)

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
How can ordinary punters or Presidents trust medical advisors when stuff like this egregious error is happening?
A Florida hospital handling COVID-19 tests confirmed to media this week that its near-100% positivity rate was overstated by a factor of 10, raising already-heightened concerns that numerous labs are over reporting the number of confirmed infections. (Just the News)

Without being able to properly interrogate the data or how it has been reported, I wouldn't go reading too much into that. The fact remains that there are is still a frightening number of new positives coming out of that region, and if I was being asked who I'd trust more, it most certainly not be Mr Trump or Darren from the school of hard knocks on Facebook. America's handling of this has been a disaster.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Henry Ergas nails the political reasons behind the economic shutdown:
The number of cases and of fatalities is easily observable; the harm imposed by the clampdown is not, and is obscured by torrents of public spending whose costs will fall largely on future generations.
I'd only argue with him on the economic costs issue. A depression could easily descend on Australia if lockdowns and border closures are the only political response to virus flare-ups.
(PS I'd like to see a constitutional challenge to border closures)

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Henry Ergas nails the political reasons behind the economic shutdown:
The number of cases and of fatalities is easily observable; the harm imposed by the clampdown is not, and is obscured by torrents of public spending whose costs will fall largely on future generations.
I'd only argue with him on the economic costs issue. A depression could easily descend on Australia if lockdowns and border closures are the only political response to virus flare-ups.
(PS I'd like to see a constitutional challenge to border closures)

Funny, we seemed to do fairly well after the absolute tragedy of the second world war. And to be honest, I'd rather my hard earned tax dollars went to keeping people from slipping between the cracks either from COVID infection or underemployment than on waging war.

I actually have no problem with other states (including the state my family lives in) keeping borders closed. It keeps them safer. Had Gladys took the political hit and bothered to close the Vic border sooner, we might even have avoided the Casula pub outbreak in NSW.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
seth efrika hospital goes into full chernobyl rona meltdown;

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53396057

bet there's more than a few white seth efrikans murmuring "this would never have happened under the slightly failed social experiment of apawtheid. You see, as soon as the blecks get a taste of administrative power they go full corrupt despotic little fiefdom warlord and suddenly stuff starts going missing and the fallout becomes someone else's responsibility....."