• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2020

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Force partners with WA companies NodeOne Internet and Schlager Group for SRAu.

P1110042-scaled.jpg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good pick-up Matt Hodgson

All Black Richard Kahui joining WF for SRAu 2020

Kahui made 17 All Blacks appearances including the victorious 2011 World Cup final, his last appearance for New Zealand in a career blighted by injury.
One of his most famous moments came in the semifinal of the tournament, with a crunching textbook tackle on Wallabies fly-half Quade Cooper. He scored the first of 10 All Blacks tries on debut against England from the wing where he played much of career, but now plays in midfield.

Kahui lives on the Gold Coast with his family, moving back after the coronavirus crisis shut down the Japanese competition where he has been playing for Toshiba Brave Lupus.
He joined his new teammates at their Hunter Valley hub yesterday ahead of Friday’s clash with the unbeaten Reds at Suncorp Stadium.

Former Wallaby, Force captain and now Global Rapid Rugby director of rugby Matt Hodgson said Kahui’s experience and knowledge would be invaluable.
“To bring someone like him into he squad is exciting. He’s someone who has been there, done it,” Hodgson said.
“After one day you can see why he is a world class player and what he is going to add to the group on-field and from Monday to Friday ... the one percenters.”
Kahui played Super Rugby for the Highlanders and helped the Chiefs to the 2012 title.

Utility Back (Centre, Wing)
35yo; 189cm; 103 kg
Super Rugby: 68 caps (Clan 8; Chiefs 60)
AB Tests: 17 caps
Toshiba Brave Lupus: 63 caps

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Developing young outside backs by bringing in an experienced older head to mentor and ensure young fellas aren't rushed in?

Fatprop, your post smacks of born to rule mentality. What do you expect us to do, roll over and go out there to lose? Seems to me you'd whinge if we recruited to win and whinge if we weren't competitive enough for the competition.

Given the Force's ability to stay alive for the last three years as Australia's third biggest player market, I'd say we are more focused on developing Aus rugby talent than just about anyone else.

Check yourself.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Developing young outside backs by bringing in an experienced older head to mentor and ensure young fellas aren't rushed in?

Fatprop, your post smacks of born to rule mentality. What do you expect us to do, roll over and go out there to lose? Seems to me you'd whinge if we recruited to win and whinge if we weren't competitive enough for the competition.

Given the Force's ability to stay alive for the last three years as Australia's third biggest player market, I'd say we are more focused on developing Aus rugby talent than just about anyone else.

Check yourself.

Yep, a couple of posts here I just don’t get. Personally I am really chuffed to see the Force back and hope it is not just a temporary situation.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Force sure are focused on developing aus rugby talent

Should they? Their primary responsibility in terms of players should be to the local scene. Which I dare say they have more locals in their squad than the Brumbies and likely Rebels. But considering they were cut by RA and no longer fall under their direct mandate surely their goal should be to build as competitive squad as possible.

Now, I don't know how much Kahui will add. Could be little or could be a lot. But considering past actions it's really up to them.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
more washed up internationals or signings in general?

Reg I think it is smart business personally - like signing Holmes - you are getting more proven quality and experience to compete whilst developing the talent around those old experienced hands. Also lower commercial risk as not competing with others to have to offer long term contracts for these players so less commercial risk.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't want a TT comp with free movement. I don't want anyone but Australians playing. I don't even think Scott Maloula should be playing for the Reds

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't want a TT comp with free movement. I don't want anyone but Australians playing. I don't even think Scott Maloula should be playing for the Reds

Well I am glad Reg you are not involved in proposed TT competitions discussions as you and I are certainly polar opposite on that view. Yep I like the force recruitment approach but that is just me and each to their own.

B

Bobby Sands

The Force will save Australian professional rugby at this rate. Wish Deegan was back there as he is your true 10.

Hope you belt everyone but The Reds.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Really enjoying the renewal of interest in Rugby Union in the press in The West.
It wasn't all that long ago that the Western Force article was a gutter run on p6 after the article on weekly Wickepin darts.
Full page spread on all things rugby is very good!

View attachment 11606

It's a full page spread more than anywhere else in the country!