• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
International Festival of Rugby in London set for Nov 2020 featuring 6N plus Japan and Fiji set to inject money into the 8 competing unions.

This will replace the inbound tours of the SANZAAR nations.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rugby-morning-headlines-wales-set-18585564

This article suggests Japan is out and will be replaced by Georgia. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ru...ions-sides-in-eight-team-tournament-1.4303333

Which means we should be on the phone to Japan to get them involved in any plans on this side of the world. In fact, and I've suggested this on the T2 forum previously. We could even look at running two divisions of 5/6 teams each. Especially if it's going to hosted in say NZ. Really go for it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That she may be. But I think they are seriously misreading the intent behind those running and operating MLR if they think they can use it as a means of feeding into the other. They are also making some huge assumptions regarding Super Rugby. As in whether they will be a Super Rugby to to enter in the future.

Are they using that as a means to get into Super rugby, I thought they were saying they would have a completely different team. And I convinced there will be a super rugby in some form, whether it a TT one Super Aotearoa.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Twiggy is chatting to Will Greenwood on his rugby podcast. It’s on Spotify and the other usual platforms. Worth a listen.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think a local 8 game season that ends on the same weekend as a 10 round NZ competitions would be ideal.

Then try to play the winner of each for a Tasman championship the next week. Go to national camp and play test matches.

Those not playing in Test matches have to go back and play club rugby where the match of the week in Brisbane and Sydney is broadcast. Then the winner of both competitions play a curtain raiser at the last local test match of the year.

We need to accept that we are not able to compete with NZ, maybe one day in the future we will be able to. At the moment Australia compared to New Zealand is the equivalent of Japan to Australia. One team is on another level. We dont need to get smashed every week and pretend it is good for rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/07/14/kafer-super-rugby-australia-2021

Even kafers getting in on the act, must distracting his commentary.

Reading Kafers article made me realise why deep down I can’t see TT competition as a workable solution because as Kafer states NZ will always treat us as master servant in any negotiations and ongoing oversight of such a competition. Hence I agree time to make the hard decisions (which actually given NZ dialogue and history is actually not that hard) and go it alone. Now where is Twiggy on that speed dial Hamish?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reading Kafers article made me realise why deep down I can’t see TT competition as a workable solution because as Kafer states NZ will always treat us as master servant in any negotiations and ongoing oversight of such a competition. Hence I agree time to make the hard decisions (which actually given NZ dialogue and history is actually not that hard) and go it alone. Now where is Twiggy on that speed dial Hamish?

To be fair, the master-servant relationship is based on reality. The problem is that the “servant” response has to be “even if our value is poor, you need us and we are completely happy to travel forward without you”.

Clyne was not that bloke, stuffed up not just the response we should have given, but also today’s negotiations.

Is McLennan the bloke we need? I’ve gone from doubtful to maybe. Which is a fabulous shift toward optimism.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What a bizarre world we live in when I feel I have to say this:

Well done Kafer. Extremely valuable input. Well done.
He's been reading my posts on here. ;)
We don't want to be the Kodak of world rugby, we don't want to be a formerly great nation that let the world change without it.

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Coupla interesting guests on The Breakdown last night in terms of PI involvement in an Australasian rugby comp.

First up, Joe Rokococo who's one of the backers of the Hawaiian MLR franchise & talked about the organisation running teams in both comps & providing opportunities for kids in all PI communities whether in the islands themselves, NZ or Australia. Didn't mention USA by name but no doubt they'll be looking to the US-based Samoan & Tongan communities as well. I know Working Class Rugger has reservations re: MLR letting Kanaloa operate in this way but the fact they've given them a licence suggests they're OK with it.

Next, Inoke Afeaki talking about a more traditional model based on the existing Fiji, Samoan & Tongan Unions. Unlike other critics of these organisations he actually put a name to the elephant in the room, that being corruption. He made the point that if money is channeled through a Union-based consortium you'll get the same outcome as throwing money at individual Unions i.e. people without connections won't get paid in full & on time, to the profit of those with connections. His solution is for NZR to control the finances but I don't see any of the Unions agreeing to handing over the keys to the gravy train.

Also on the show was Andrew Forrest & what an eye-opener he was. Anyone doubting his commitment to WA & Australian rugby needs to watch this. Not just WA & Aus, either, but rugby in general: "should be the biggest game in the world" he said & you could hear & see that he meant it & means to do something about it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Jessica Halloran has returned to the Aus this morning to claim that a domestic comp would only be worth $10m broadcast dollars. Given her timely return from the abyss the inference would be that Murdoch’s preference is for a TT comp. One piece of worthy information she provided was that the Tahs v Reds viewing including Kayo/Foxtel Go was 95k v the 69K reported. So about 30% of viewers are now streaming if that’s right.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Jessica Halloran has returned to the Aus this morning to claim that a domestic comp would only be worth $10m broadcast dollars. Given her timely return from the abyss the inference would be that Murdoch’s preference is for a TT comp. One piece of worthy information she provided was that the Tahs v Reds viewing including Kayo/Foxtel Go was 95k v the 69K reported. So about 30% of viewers are now streaming if that’s right.

Just saw that in the Australian behind a paywall, but my exact thoughts and all of a sudden Hallaron pops up, if domestic is worth just $10million then what is TT worth?.
i get nervous with Clarke because he has openly stated he is in the job for just 6 months so pretty much no consequences and also may just be inclined to sign up the safest option.

I'm quite confused with this whole Fox angle, you may want it on the cheap but then treat the game like some cousin you don't want to associate with. So we sign up to Fox and a TT and it's business as usual, that is not the way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.