• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
100% two proper wingers, proper positional play for wingers in both defence and attack has been underrated by the wallabies for too long.

As far as fullback goes, I feel Banks is the leading contender from the season as a whole and he'd be my pick to start, but if he doesn't start I'm not sure I'd have him in the 23 - DHP and Maddocks both offer more coverage from the bench. Depending on the split Hodge could possibly take that bench spot too, but he'll need to show a bit more on the field for that.

I say this as a Rebels fan, but honestly I don't think Hodge should be anywhere near the Wallabies squad on current form.
There are far more deserving players in just about every position he covers.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I say this as a Rebels fan, but honestly I don't think Hodge should be anywhere near the Wallabies squad on current form.

Has always been the case. His best position is the bench especially in an 6/2 bench.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

I agree for the most part, but if it's 6/2 split on the bench and To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor) in the 12 jersey, he effectively covers (directly or indirectly) the whole back line except 9. You can't really say that about Maddocks, DHP or Banks. JOC (James O'Connor) might be the only other player you could get that level of utility out of.

That said he still needs to show a fair bit more to be in the frame, but given he has a good bit of test match experience at this point I wouldn't write him off just yet.

I can't really see him playing a starting role though, I can't see him being the first choice for any one position.

Reactions: dru

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't see us having a 6/2 bench any time soon. Hooper will always play the full 80 as will LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) if fit. Most of the candidates for 6 and 8 can cover the full 80. I'd be more interested in a 5/3 with some impact players (Daugunu for example) rather than Jacks of all trades.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't see us having a 6/2 bench any time soon. Hooper will always play the full 80 as will LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) if fit. Most of the candidates for 6 and 8 can cover the full 80. I'd be more interested in a 5/3 with some impact players (Daugunu for example) rather than Jacks of all trades.

And I suspect with Hodge, you have hit the nail on the head.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
I think Maddocks best position would be to come off the bench. Him running against tired bodies would generate some points.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's great to have so many positions up for grabs with genuine competition between good players, young and old.

I only think there are two guaranteed staters at the moment - Hooper and Koroibete. Before this weekend I'd have said Allan A as well, but now I'd put him as 'probable' with Taniela T breathing down his neck.

The guy I continue to be quite enamoured with is Tate McDermott. How much rugby has Nic White played this year? At this stage I'm picking Tate to start and letting White work his way back into it from the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tahs vs Rebels will be interesting this Friday. Tahs have certainly improved substantially since the break and are no longer looking hopeless.

The Brumbies have maybe come back to the pack a bit and the Reds are winning but I don't think are looking particularly solid.

The Force have a few players who could be smokies for a Wallaby squad too.

It certainly feels like there are a lot more genuine contenders for positions than there was when Super Rugby shut down for COVID.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It's great to have so many positions up for grabs with genuine competition between good players, young and old.

I only think there are two guaranteed staters at the moment - Hooper and Koroibete. Before this weekend I'd have said Allan A as well, but now I'd put him as 'probable' with Taniela T breathing down his neck.

The guy I continue to be quite enamoured with is Tate McDermott. How much rugby has Nic White played this year? At this stage I'm picking Tate to start and letting White work his way back into it from the bench.

he was throwing a ball around at Jubliee Oval in Mudgee last week, I believe he joins the Brumbies this week.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

He's starting to show some more mature play to add to his credentials. I know it's something Australian fans don't get excited about, but there were a couple of well worked and executed box kicks on Friday night. Nothing flashy but the sort of composed and reliable play that becomes important at test match level.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Tahs vs Rebels will be interesting this Friday. Tahs have certainly
It certainly feels like there are a lot more genuine contenders for positions than there was when Super Rugby shut down for COVID.

Since the covid break, its more or less put everyone in the same boat. Less time together as a team, so I think teams are more so relying on players ability and just playing whats in front of them- games have looked less scripted.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I think now more than ever, Hooper is not guaranteed a spot. He's playing damn well - but better than other alternatives? I'm not so sure.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Going to be tough to leave out one of Naisarani, Wilson and Valetini. For me Valetini is a real test match 6 who does all the tough stuff in the tight. Wilson and Naisarani for 8 is a coin toss, pre-COVID one would turn in an outstanding performance and the other would follow suit. If Naisarani is ready then I think it makes sense for him to start at 8 and Harry to come on for the last 20-25 minutes and tear through tired defenders. That said, I’d probably be equally happy for Wilson to start and would be very excited to see what he could do.

Agree - Valentini has a bit of Ardie Savea about him. Dynamic runner, huge in defence and pretty good over the ball. Consistently wins his collisions. Pretty excited to see him in gold.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think now more than ever, Hooper is not guaranteed a spot. He's playing damn well - but better than other alternatives? I'm not so sure.

I think the only player on current form that would be in a position to pinch the 7 jersey is Wright. But he's been playing at 6 pretty damn well so i think he should be in the frame for the 6 jersey.

Cusack has been playing very well but i would be surprised if he got the nod over Hooper. Who are the other options?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep, Mafi as backup.
Might be too early to say, but after seeing Tom Horton start on the weekend, would like to bring him along in the extended squad.

Mafi's lineout work isn't good enough. Same with Uelese. Maybe BPA? Agree with Reg that FF (Folau Fainga'a) looks a certainty at the moment.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

He's playing better than the alternatives, and he's one of the few players we have who has proven their class at the highest level. So for me that guarantees his spot.

B

Bobby Sands

I think the only player on current form that would be in a position to pinch the 7 jersey is Wright. But he's been playing at 6 pretty damn well so i think he should be in the frame for the 6 jersey.

Cusack has been playing very well but i would be surprised if he got the nod over Hooper. Who are the other options?

I can only assume Reg is referring to Wrongerz.

Liam and Fraser will both be in the squad permanently from as soon as this season.

FWIW I think Hooper is still the obvious 7, despite not being in love with his game. But one thing I do respect about him is his consistent output - he doesn't know how to play a bad game. I also think putting Simmonds in as skip has been great for Hoops.