• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Would be a very big call to make Wright captain when he’s got one test cap. If he’d done something like lead the Reds to a Super Rugby Championship then it might be less of a leap but he’s not going to have the opportunity to do that.

AAA is much more viable but I think his starting position is under pressure from Tupou.
Even if AAA gets the nod over Tupou as starting THP, he still won't play for the full 80.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, I agree that it's a big call. Making Hooper captain is a similar call to Penney and the Tahs with Simmons. Rennie has come in with no preparation, barely meeting the players and getting to know them. I can see Rennie picking a 'senior' player until he gets to know the players.
I think Hooper probably gets the nod this year with all the disruptions but no way is he tenured captain for the life of his contract. I do foresee a scenario in which he may ‘step aside’ rather than lose the captaincy. I also assume that whoever is captain will likely have a different approach under Rennie than they would under Cheika.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
There have been plenty of front row captains in the modern game who don't play the full match, so AAA is not definitely ruled out. Augustin Creevy, John Schmidt, Keith Wood, Dylan Hartley and of course Stephen Moore to name a few in the modern era.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
There have been plenty of front row captains in the modern game who don't play the full match, so AAA is not definitely ruled out. Augustin Creevy, John Schmidt, Keith Wood, Dylan Hartley and of course Stephen Moore to name a few in the modern era.
Yep, it would be fine if he started as captain and came off later. I’m saying that there’s a chance Tupou starts at tighthead with AAA off the bench. We will probably know more about the standings when the Brumbies meet the Reds.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not sure how you come to that conclusion, Daugunu and Wright have both been standouts in each of their games and offer a real point difference. Far better than putting DHP or Maddocks on the wing.

Agree, and CFS has entered himself into the race too.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yep, it would be fine if he started as captain and came off later. I’m saying that there’s a chance Tupou starts at tighthead with AAA off the bench. We will probably know more about the standings when the Brumbies meet the Reds.

There both awesome, and Tupou may end up the better THP, but if your looking at impact, its much better to start AAA and bring on Thor at the mid / late game, his just so dynamic it can change a game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Who would be starting at 7 before him? Hooper has been immense. I think this season has been one of his best.

I'd agree, playing the best for a number of seasons. Playing like a 7 with a 7 on his back. On the matter of competition for the 7 spot, Liam Wright would be next in line. Has an excellent rugby brain, plays like a forward and close to the breakdown, makes his turnovers (as Hooper has this year as well) and showing signs of being a mature captain.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just expanding on the concept of captaincy, what is everyone thinking?

If we look at the incumbent and provincial captains you have:

• Hooper (Incumbent)
  • Simmons (Waratahs)
  • Wright (Reds)
  • Ala'alatoa (Brumbies)
  • DHP (Rebels)
  • Prior (Force)
They're all in contention for the wallabies, though Prior is probably only a shot at the bench at this stage. Hooper is the safe option but Rennie may well be looking for a change, Ala'alatoa will likely only be playing half a game, DHP is in a 3-way selection battle and captains from fullback are rare, Wright is the youngest and probably best option (of these) for long term captaincy but is far from guaranteed. Simmons star is rising pretty quickly off the back of his set piece work and the faltering lineouts at all the other sides so he's much more in the frame than anyone would have thought when he took the Tahs captaincy.

As I see it comes down to staying safe with Hooper vs Moving to the new generation with Wright. The middle ground might be Simmons as captain with the intention to build Wright (or another young player) into the role. I know a lot of people won't like that but I don't think it's a terrible idea.

Are there any alternatives from outside that group? To'omua maybe?

Nic White as a smokey.

FWIW, I would be blown away if Rob Simmons is captain. Blown away!

I reckon Rennie will be bringing the likes of Arnold and maybe Skelton back from o/s for the tests, so RS is still unlikely to get a gig.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Genuinely he was great on Friday. Improved so much from what he was when starting out at the Force.

I'm so sick and tired of our game being overrun with Yankee imports.

Better than in the past, I agree, but I reckon his defense would always count against him being regarded as Wallaby standard even if he was eligible.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Nic White as a smokey.

I reckon Rennie will be bringing the likes of Arnold and maybe Skelton back from o/s for the tests, so RS is still unlikely to get a gig.

It remains to be seen if either of them will have any rugby under their belt by the time we start playing tests, not to mention the 2 week quarantine they'd likely be subject to and the exemption that still needs to be given from RA.

I do like Nic White as a smokey now that he's back in Australia, but he'll have to lock down the spot first.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Time to ditch the cattle that have dragged us down to 7th in the world.

But Rennie knows who butters the sandwiches in the picnic basket so I expect very little change & he'll even drag a few more old journeymen and has beens and never weres from O/S under the guise of "experience".

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There both awesome, and Tupou may end up the better THP, but if your looking at impact, its much better to start AAA and bring on Thor at the mid / late game, his just so dynamic it can change a game.
I don't buy this 'impact' stuff. You need your best players spending the most time on the pitch.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nic White as a smokey.

I'd like to see this but im skeptical. I think you should start managing your expectations now BR. There's a good chance Simmons will end up in the 15.

Reactions: dru

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Time to ditch the cattle that have dragged us down to 7th in the world.

But Rennie knows who butters the sandwiches in the picnic basket so I expect very little change & he'll even drag a few more old journeymen and has beens and never weres from O/S under the guise of "experience".

Who are these players?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Nah, again the balance isn’t right playing both Naisarani and Wilson.

One or the other...

And I maintain Valetini’s form all year should make him a certain starter - none of the other options provide the same level of physicality.

Despite what Rod Kafer thinks - all that work off the ball is important.
Slim - what did you think of Valetini’s form on the weekend.

And yes, it is a bit of a loaded question - although I’m not trying to troll. I noted a couple of people nominated him for MOM, which surprised me because I thought he was pretty quiet. So I re-watched the game and tried to take specific note of his involvement. I
find it hard to watch a game and just note one player instead of just watching the flow, so maybe I missed a bit. But my take was he did a couple of really good things, a couple of not great things and a lot of not much. He made a lot of breakdowns, but was often passive (possibly the opposition have identified not to challenge those breakdowns???). Others his accuracy was poor and he got driven straight off one ball by HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes). Not that he had a bad game as such - but I know you’ve been raving about him and I was underwhelmed.

I only say this so you have my perspective. Genuinely interested in what you thought. Do you think I’ve missed a bit? Or was he just below par on the weekend.

I did note he had two runs before the last try and was on hand to score a try - so he did have a couple of really good plays.

Anyway - what’s your view?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim - what did you think of Valetini’s form on the weekend.

And yes, it is a bit of a loaded question - although I’m not trying to troll. I noted a couple of people nominated him for MOM, which surprised me because I thought he was pretty quiet. So I re-watched the game and tried to take specific note of his involvement. I
find it hard to watch a game and just note one player instead of just watching the flow, so maybe I missed a bit. But my take was he did a couple of really good things, a couple of not great things and a lot of not much. He made a lot of breakdowns, but was often passive (possibly the opposition have identified not to challenge those breakdowns???). Others his accuracy was poor and he got driven straight off one ball by HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes). Not that he had a bad game as such - but I know you’ve been raving about him and I was underwhelmed.

I only say this so you have my perspective. Genuinely interested in what you thought. Do you think I’ve missed a bit? Or was he just below par on the weekend.

I did note he had two runs before the last try and was on hand to score a try - so he did have a couple of really good plays.

Anyway - what’s your view?

Definitely thought he was one of the best players on the ground......... had a number of strong carries, dominant tackles etc.

The Brumbies are very strong around the breakdown, and he plays a big part in that.

Reactions: TSR