• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

Barker4Peat

Stan Wickham (3)
Tyrone's development has been dramatic since his first appearance for Barker at 6 in the u16s in 2018 and had a great game yesterday, but is it not too much to say he is at their level? No malice intended.

You're exactly right, Tyrone is obviously not on their level but is just another one of Barker's well coached front rowers.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tipping in this competition involves even more guesswork than usual. It involves remembering what a few players were like more than 12 months ago, then trying to figure out the meaning of one round of matches against opposition you know very little about.

That said, here goes.

Knox v St Aloysius: this looks like a fairly straightforward win for Knox. I hope St Aloysius doesn't have injury problems after last week. No one doubts the boys' courage or commitment, but those get you only so far. So the points go to Knox, who will want to spend some time this week on goal-kicking practice.

Trinity v Cranbrook. This one's tight. Trinity usually regards the Cranbrook game as one it ought to win, while Cranbrook usually regards the Trinity match as one it ought to win. Trinity earned the points at Knox last week, which is never easy, while Cranbrook lost, but to a stronger team than Knox. Home advantage says Trinity, but probably there's no more than a try in this either way.

Waverley v Barker. Waverley is at home, having put away Cranbrook without too much bother last week. Barker, on the other hand, have the confidence of two successive premierships plus (I think) the biggest win ever recorded in Associated Schools history last week. Now, you can argue that this cuts both ways - that if Barker had been given a tougher workout, it would have been better prepared for a tough game this week. But the sheer magnitude of Barker's win last week means they must start as slight favourites this week.

What's clear is that whoever wins at Queens Park this week also wins at least a share of the Plume Shield, because it's hard to see either Waverley or Barker losing twice.

Reactions: WLF

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
Barker v Aloysius score line makes me think , is this a reflection of how good Barker are or how poor Aloysius are
After seeing footage of this fixture I believe it is the latter. In my opinion there was no real pressure on Barker who had the bigger stronger pack and a very simple game plan.

Barker will need to bring their A game at QP this week against a tough and rugged Waverley outfit who are building nicely.
A good mix of experience and new blood in this outfit who I believe have that X factor to stop the much talked about 3peat.
The tight five in particular have been impressive supported by a back row that have caused a bit of damage Over the trial period and against Cranbrook.

What ever the result all I know is this will be a ding dong of a battle.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
If someone is attending QP could they please post up as much detail and colour as possible for the audience not permitted to attend. I do have a dog but she is a cranky old bitch, just like her owner, so I will not be dogwalking. I suspect we are missing the match of this wretched season

Hasbeen, Yes it will be posted.
P.S. Get another dog! Ha.

Mr Serious

Peter Burge (5)
Tipping.

Waverley will beat Cranners by 20+ with Fretton to bag 3 tries
Barker to similarly beat Aloys. in a one sided affair

Match of round . Trinity v Knox. think it will come down to the final play, with Trinity to clinch it on the bell. on the back of a dominant forward pack.

HA HA quite the genius you are SDW tipping Waves to win by 20+ which I believe was true although Fretton did not bag one single try at all but his opposite winger had a field day scoring a double using his speed around the immobile flanker who has found himself out of position on the wing. I dont understand why they have wasted Fretton out there on the flanks especially after watching him terrorise Joeys forwards last year, by adding him back into that waverly forward pack it would boost the packs weight to almost over a tonne. Will be interesting to see how the Barker vs Waves game will pan out this weekend after watching waves number 6 Davvy Moalee destroy the boys in white last week bagging him self a hatrick as well as the barkers number 6 carving up in their huge victory against Aloys.

Anyways all the best to all schools this weekend.

Mr S :)

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I wrote this on Green and Gold eight years ago: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/schoolboy-rugby-a-modest-proposal/

Eight years on, as I predicted, nothing that matters has changed. A few things have changed, though - the trend I wrote about has become worse. Sydney Grammar has surrendered its place in the GPS 1st XV competition. Shore has more or less given up competing, scoring 34 points in five games last year while leaking 289, and losing 52-0 to Kings - which itself lost every other game. Let's bear in mind, this is Shore - home to numerous Wallabies, where the Rugby-obsessed Headmaster, Jika Travers, once had boys caned for daring to kick a soccer ball around on a Rugby field. It's now where Grammar was, ten years ago.

And the massively lopsided results that have destroyed the GPS competition now infect the CAS competition, with Barker's 95-7 romp last week.

This isn't about natural fluctuations in the strength of 1st XVs. It's about the size, scope and ambition of schools' Rugby programs. Barker has - what? five or six teams in each age group? St Aloysius has, in recent years, often fielded only one team in an age group. On that basis alone, those aren't schools that belong in the same competition, even if St Aloysius can sometimes assemble 15 players who put on a competitive showing in the Firsts.

And, look, cards on the table. I went to Trinity. In the new system I've proposed, Trinity would not, as things stand, be a Division 1 school. It would be a shame if Trinity no longer got to play against Waverley and Barker. But that isn't a reason not to improve the system for everyone.

The Headmasters' Conference needs to revisit this issue, before someone gets hurt and before Rugby gets hurt.

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
I wrote this on Green and Gold eight years ago: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/schoolboy-rugby-a-modest-proposal/

Eight years on, as I predicted, nothing that matters has changed. A few things have changed, though - the trend I wrote about has become worse. Sydney Grammar has surrendered its place in the GPS 1st XV competition. Shore has more or less given up competing, scoring 34 points in five games last year while leaking 289, and losing 52-0 to Kings - which itself lost every other game. Let's bear in mind, this is Shore - home to numerous Wallabies, where the Rugby-obsessed Headmaster, Jika Travers, once had boys caned for daring to kick a soccer ball around on a Rugby field. It's now where Grammar was, ten years ago.

And the massively lopsided results that have destroyed the GPS competition now infect the CAS competition, with Barker's 95-7 romp last week.

This isn't about natural fluctuations in the strength of 1st XVs. It's about the size, scope and ambition of schools' Rugby programs. Barker has - what? five or six teams in each age group? St Aloysius has, in recent years, often fielded only one team in an age group. On that basis alone, those aren't schools that belong in the same competition, even if St Aloysius can sometimes assemble 15 players who put on a competitive showing in the Firsts.

And, look, cards on the table. I went to Trinity. In the new system I've proposed, Trinity would not, as things stand, be a Division 1 school. It would be a shame if Trinity no longer got to play against Waverley and Barker. But that isn't a reason not to improve the system for everyone.

The Headmasters' Conference needs to revisit this issue, before someone gets hurt and before Rugby gets hurt.

I agree with your argument mostly SNORT, although bear in mind that the CORONA beasty put pay to progress this season as the "inter comp" trials were all cancelled. It will take a few more seasons of these trials demonstrating to all that:
1. Games between similarly capable teams regardless of which comp are way more enjoyable for players and spectators
2. The sanctity of the AAGPS and CAS comps is not the only thing that matters
before there is an appetite for any more change.

A couple of points of disagreement though, I can assure you that outside the opens Barker has at most three teams in each age group, second there is a significant year to year variation - remember that Aloys knocked off Waverly at Death Valley last season!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Mr Serious, unfortunately I didn’t see game as I was at Coogee oval, but whether Fretton was a marked man... might of been the issue. I gather a few years back when Brook played Waverley it was Moretti who was a marked man.

If all eyes were on the 19 ... who I gather wears that jersey as it is only one that fits him ...then it was mission accomplished

So suspect Fretton will remain in backs ... altgh hear inside centre might be an option

Do agree that he terrorised Joeys In 2019.

Incidentally on Joeys the 16As in 2019 handily beat joeys and there are a few from that team in Double V

Anyways I do hope they get game onto YouTube as unfortunately been talked out of walking the Shitzu

Ps how did Volkman (at 15) go against Cranbrook? Has Barker any backs to explain their 100 points?

Barkerdad101

Frank Row (1)
I must admit to a growing sense of unease with that Barker v Alos scoreline. I dont think it is good for the competition. It is lucky there were no injuries. These are schoolboys. A good competition is a close and hard fought competition and they bring the greater memories. Not a one sided affair.

Reports I have heard are that there were some injuries to the Alos team. Apparently one of their front row is out for the season with a shoulder injury.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Mr Serious, unfortunately I didn’t see game as I was at Coogee oval, but whether Fretton was a marked man. might of been the issue. I gather a few years back when Brook played Waverley it was Moretti who was a marked man.

If all eyes were on the 19 . who I gather wears that jersey as it is only one that fits him .then it was mission accomplished

So suspect Fretton will remain in backs . altgh hear inside centre might be an option

Do agree that he terrorised Joeys In 2019.

Incidentally on Joeys the 16As in 2019 handily beat joeys and there are a few from that team in Double V

Anyways I do hope they get game onto YouTube as unfortunately been talked out of walking the Shitzu

Ps how did Volkman (at 15) go against Cranbrook? Has Barker any backs to explain their 100 points?

SDW, when the person receiving the kickoff makes 20 metres, goes to ground and Barker scores of the ensuing phase it is safe to assure that tackling was more optional than guaranteed - this happened on more than one occasion. Whilst there were Aloys boys who worked hard until it was blown up, not enough IMO.

I am not sure the game helped Barker too much, Mark Green's injury is a concern too (I haven't heard anything as of yet). They have a good back line, but who would know what they are like to a man V a stronger opposition. One thing is for certain, we will know by 5pm on Saturday.

Referees_rule

Bob McCowan (2)
Following on from my Knox v Trinity report,

My tip for prop Stojceski to be a stand out never eventuated. Rumour has it he pulled up with a twinge in the warm-up. Hopefully, as always, nothing serious. With such a short season this year, it would be disappointing for any schools to have serious injuries. Moving on, the boys in green are up against Brook this week, at Summer Hill. Cranbrook looked ok against Waverley last week, however i think Trinity will get up. Stand outs from last week included Hawkes, as always, and Hannoford, who looks to be stepping up as the first choice 10, earning man of the match. Tipping Trinity by at least 10. Hopefully they'll let me in this week. None of this "dog-walking". Nothing better than some 3:15 sun on the hill with an ice cold frothy.

Blow hard,
RR

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
HA HA quite the genius you are SDW tipping Waves to win by 20+ which I believe was true although Fretton did not bag one single try at all but his opposite winger had a field day scoring a double using his speed around the immobile flanker who has found himself out of position on the wing. I dont understand why they have wasted Fretton out there on the flanks especially after watching him terrorise Joeys forwards last year, by adding him back into that waverly forward pack it would boost the packs weight to almost over a tonne. Will be interesting to see how the Barker vs Waves game will pan out this weekend after watching waves number 6 Davvy Moalee destroy the boys in white last week bagging him self a hatrick as well as the barkers number 6 carving up in their huge victory against Aloys.

Anyways all the best to all schools this weekend.

I believe Fretton May have missed a fair bit of the pre season training due to isolation etc and by the time he rejoined the double V the engine room had already sorted itself out. Their back row has been impressive caused a fair bit of damage.
Also I have heard he may be carrying a slight injury ? So he’s not at 100% and I do know is a winger in the Roosters programme so it’s not totally foreign to him. I did see him score a double the other week at QP and unlucky not to get a third.
Waverley have a very young forward pack with 5 of the 8 being promoted from 2019 16As which puts them in good shape for 2021 as they are still year 11s.

Like most I see the winner of this clash having one hand on the premiership for 2020.

Mr Serious

Peter Burge (5)
Following on from my Knox v Trinity report,

My tip for prop Stojceski to be a stand out never eventuated. Rumour has it he pulled up with a twinge in the warm-up. Hopefully, as always, nothing serious. With such a short season this year, it would be disappointing for any schools to have serious injuries. Moving on, the boys in green are up against Brook this week, at Summer Hill. Cranbrook looked ok against Waverley last week, however i think Trinity will get up. Stand outs from last week included Hawkes, as always, and Hannoford, who looks to be stepping up as the first choice 10, earning man of the match. Tipping Trinity by at least 10. Hopefully they'll let me in this week. None of this "dog-walking". Nothing better than some 3:15 sun on the hill with an ice cold frothy.

Blow hard,
RR

Couldn't agree more RR, trinity vs brook will be a cracking game to watch with an ice cold frothy in hand especially after watching brook rip in against waves last weekend. Will be interesting to see how they mark up on trinity's danger man Hawkes as he tore them up last year, yet to see Hannoford play but have only heard good things about him. Tipping trinity to win by no more than 7 points with Hawkes bagging himself a try.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
After having seen the video of the Barker v Aloys 2nds highlights(thanks for the reference WTF) it seems Barkers 2nds have a couple of hard runners and the backline work seems fluid - nice running rugby. Nothing fancy but solid play.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
SDW, when the person receiving the kickoff makes 20 metres, goes to ground and Barker scores of the ensuing phase it is safe to assure that tackling was more optional than guaranteed - this happened on more than one occasion. Whilst there were Aloys boys who worked hard until it was blown up, not enough IMO.

I am not sure the game helped Barker too much, Mark Green's injury is a concern too (I haven't heard anything as of yet). They have a good back line, but who would know what they are like to a man V a stronger opposition. One thing is for certain, we will know by 5pm on Saturday.

WTF, I just sent you a private conversation, please have a look, keen for your thoughts!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Something you don't want to share with us all WLF?

No, it's a convo about 2 people which is irrelevant to everyone else, who are you? Haven't heard from you before, is the Barker juggernaut as good as the Brakerpeats say or is it all just smoke and mirrors?

P.S. If not sure what smoke and mirrors means, ask around or google it!

Iloverucks1

Stan Wickham (3)
No, it's a convo about 2 people which is irrelevant to everyone else, who are you? Haven't heard from you before, is the Barker juggernaut as good as the Brakerpeats say or is it all just smoke and mirrors?

P.S. If not sure what smoke and mirrors means, ask around or google it!

Not totally sure about the Barker thing mate, don't support the school, I hope not.