• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What is buttering a sandwich in a picnic basket? a sexual euphemism?

One would assume that if the sandwiches were already in the picnic basket then buttering would not be required. Adding butter to an already constructed sandwich would be superfluous at best and destructive at worst if indeed the sandwich has already been buttered. Then you would have double the amount of butter, affecting the flavour balance that is so critical to the success of the sandwich.

Therefore it means Rennie is going to pick two 7s. McReight and Hooper. He's adding butter (McReight) to the sandwich (already buttered with Hooper).

Sigh. I need a hobby.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
One would assume that if the sandwiches were already in the picnic basket then buttering would not be required. Adding butter to an already constructed sandwich would be superfluous at best and destructive at worst if indeed the sandwich has already been buttered.

Unless you planned on frying/grilling said sandwich, can't be ignoring the external buttering.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Unless you planned on frying/grilling said sandwich, can't be ignoring the external buttering.

Frying/grilling a sandwich at a picnic? Well that's no world I want to be a part of. If Dave Rennie is the type of person who grills sandwiches at a picnic then he's not the type of bloke I want around this playing group.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Frying/grilling a sandwich at a picnic? Well that's no world I want to be a part of. If Dave Rennie is the type of person who grills sandwiches at a picnic then he's not the type of bloke I want around this playing group.

Sorry to hear you say that, Australia has some of the world's best picnic + bbq spots, your disregard for the opportunities provided by the bbq grill at them is appalling, and frankly, unAustralian.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Hanigan is likely to figure this year but realistically we have 10 locks starting for Super Rugby teams currently and 2 of them are ineligible for the Wallabies so pretty much anyone is only a couple of injuries away from squeaking into a squad.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
One would assume that if the sandwiches were already in the picnic basket then buttering would not be required. Adding butter to an already constructed sandwich would be superfluous at best and destructive at worst if indeed the sandwich has already been buttered. Then you would have double the amount of butter, affecting the flavour balance that is so critical to the success of the sandwich.

Therefore it means Rennie is going to pick two 7s. McReight and Hooper. He's adding butter (McReight) to the sandwich (already buttered with Hooper).

Sigh. I need a hobby.
Can you explain "over-egging the pudding" now?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
There’s a subset of players like Hanigan, Wells, Cusack, Hardwick, Prior, Muirhead etc. that perform well in Super but aren’t likely to be selected. You need these sorts of players to push the incumbents, improve the standard of the competition, and nurture the rookies. It’s a good sign if they’re not selected.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Philip, he still has a Rebels contract for next season that he's looking to complete.

His current plan is to head to Pau for one season and then come back to play out the back end of the Australian domestic scene once the French season finishes. Will they pick him knowing their is a loophole? Technically hes eligible this year because he played here this year, then would of returned to the Rebels before any test matches have been played next year.

Could we see the same with Rodda? If a tv deal is struck, he could sign to join a Super side at the completion of the French season. Both To'omua and White did this to become eligible

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Philip, he still has a Rebels contract for next season that he's looking to complete.

His current plan is to head to Pau for one season and then come back to play out the back end of the Australian domestic scene once the French season finishes. Will they pick him knowing their is a loophole?

These are very unusual times, I would assume that deals will be cut now that might not be acceptable in more normal days. I hope so, anyway.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Samu could legit the no.3 man in every pos. Maybe a sign he should be the versatile bench player?

Also what is Swinton like at lock? not saying he should play there but when building a bench could be a very handy trait

I'm pretty sure he played lock at U20s a couple of years ago, partnering Darcy Swain in some of the lesser games. My opinion then and now is they were a better locking option than the more favoured Hockings/Blyth pairing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Of the Wallabies who played in the quarter final against England, the following players are still playing in Australia:

Hodge
Petaia
Koroibete
Sio
Ala'alatoa
Hooper
Naisarani
To'omua
Tupou
White (almost)
Uelese
Slipper
Salakaia-Loto
O'Connor

Of that list there are a few injured but otherwise, Reece Hodge is probably the only one who might struggle to make the 23 currently. They're pretty obviously still among our best players.

Building up a good supply of experience right there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Valetini would improve our own ruck speed, Wright would slow down the opposition’s. The choice between the two may come down to what the team needs more.

That said, the lineout looks like it will be an important consideration this year. Wright has an edge there.

UTG wouldn't Wright and Hooper be playing similar roles? In my mind, Valetini with either Wright or Hooper would offer better balance. And balance is something we've missed over the past few years.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
UTG wouldn't Wright and Hooper be playing similar roles? In my mind, Valetini with either Wright or Hooper would offer better balance. And balance is something we've missed over the past few years.
I prefer Valetini but I think Wright is capable of playing like Fardy where he has an on-ball presence but isn't just another 7 like we've had in the past couple of years.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Sigh. I need a hobby.

If Mcreight makes the squad, who misses out? Wright? Samu? I feel you need to have 3 'big' options In Valetini, Naisarani and Wilson, so that leaves 3.