• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Reading through the announcement, how the hell is it going to be able to hold a hockey game there? Don't they use a hard surface/fake turf?

Also, do the seats still have the lifetime members names on them or is my childhood memory hazy?
Wouldn't be hard to put astro turf surface on field 2 or 3 I imagine, just bang up a small stand next to it, you never going to get more than few dozen people to even top hockey game are you?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Both parties are gearing up for the election so you'll see the big announcements hitting the papers.

Reading through the announcement, how the hell is it going to be able to hold a hockey game there? Don't they use a hard surface/fake turf?

Also, do the seats still have the lifetime members names on them or is my childhood memory hazy?

All grandstands to go. Hockey will just be overlay - like the athletics track wherever they end up deciding to put it.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
All grandstands to go. Hockey will just be overlay - like the athletics track wherever they end up deciding to put it.

Oh Reg, I more mean, can the name plates/parts of the seats be salvaged and given to those members? Would make for a good present!

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/07/22/changing-of-the-red-guard-bodes-well-for-the-wallabies/

This guys speaks so much sense.

Lukhan at 6 was always madness, I also didn't appreciate how good Wright was at the lineout last week.

I have been a big critic of his work around the park for the last couple of years however Lukhan's workrate has improved massively this year. You can sense Brad is very pleased how he's going & so am I.

Having Liam, Fraser and Harry (and ASY (Angus Scott-Young)) working so hard gives him a bit of freedom to get into a bit a space for his damaging runs. Ironically, the 2 blokes battling it out for the blindside breakaway spot in the past is a totally viable locking partnership, though I suspect ASY (Angus Scott-Young)'s utility will again mean another forced bench spot when Blythe is fit again.

B

Bobby Sands

I have been a big critic of his work around the park for the last couple of years however Lukhan's workrate has improved massively this year. You can sense Brad is very pleased how he's going & so am I.

Having Liam, Fraser and Harry (and ASY (Angus Scott-Young)) working so hard gives him a bit of freedom to get into a bit a space for his damaging runs. Ironically, the 2 blokes battling it out for the blindside breakaway spot in the past is a totally viable locking partnership, though I suspect ASY (Angus Scott-Young)'s utility will again mean another forced bench spot when Blythe is fit again.

I think that will be his spot, and it's an important role in all teams.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oh Reg, I more mean, can the name plates/parts of the seats be salvaged and given to those members? Would make for a good present!

not a lot of love between PGMs and QRU unfortunately. They thought their membership of Ballymore entitled them to seats at Suncorp too.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Teams are out. Interested to see Nongorr get a run off the bench.

What's happened to JP Smith does anyone know?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sad news for Petaia
Jordan Petaia unlikely starter for Queensland following father’s death

Wayne Smith
August 7, 2020

The sudden death on Wednesday night of Jordan Petaia’s father has thrown a cloud over the involvement of the 20-year-old Queensland and Wallabies sensation in Saturday night’s Super Rugby AU clash with New South Wales at the SCG.​
...... although the Reds on Thursday named him on the right wing, taking over from the injured Chris Feauai-Sautia, it was with no certainty that he would play after his father, Tielu, died of an apparent heart attack the previous night. He had been his son’s most ardent fan, venturing to Japan last year to see Jordan turn on star performances in his three World Cup Tests.

The Reds will travel by charter flight to Sydney today, which gives Petaia until about lunchtime to decide if he will join his teammates on the flight south. But with Queensland having closed its borders to NSW, forcing the Reds back into a “clean” bubble, another factor he might have to consider is that, if he plays, he may not be permitted to go to the funeral on his return to Brisbane.​

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sad news for Petaia
Jordan Petaia unlikely starter for Queensland following father’s death​
Wayne Smith​
August 7, 2020​
The sudden death on Wednesday night of Jordan Petaia’s father has thrown a cloud over the involvement of the 20-year-old Queensland and Wallabies sensation in Saturday night’s Super Rugby AU clash with New South Wales at the SCG.​
.. although the Reds on Thursday named him on the right wing, taking over from the injured Chris Feauai-Sautia, it was with no certainty that he would play after his father, Tielu, died of an apparent heart attack the previous night. He had been his son’s most ardent fan, venturing to Japan last year to see Jordan turn on star performances in his three World Cup Tests.​
The Reds will travel by charter flight to Sydney today, which gives Petaia until about lunchtime to decide if he will join his teammates on the flight south. But with Queensland having closed its borders to NSW, forcing the Reds back into a “clean” bubble, another factor he might have to consider is that, if he plays, he may not be permitted to go to the funeral on his return to Brisbane.​

Fark. Thoughts with you Petaia. Hang in there.

B

Bobby Sands

Just awful. I am certain the boys will get right around him. Thoughts are with him and his.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

Painful. Don't think Petaia could've done anything to change that result. Though Jock on the wing ain't helping.

Naive me, didn’t think we had that in us anymore. I thought we were past just not turning up.

First time since losing him that I wished we had Rodda out there.

Very disappointing.