• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I should probably know better than responding seriously to a DP post, but why do you Kiwis continue to throw more bales of hay onto the straw man?

No-one is arguing about a difference in standard, or the desirability of leveling the playing field. It is the process of getting there that is the issue. Shrinking Aus rugby is a slow speed train crash to the complete destruction of Australian rugby. Find other ways of leveling the field there are plenty that have been discussed.

What the NZRU needs to understand, is that our future is better off with the absence of a TT than a TT on the "terms" offered. So the answer is "enjoy your 5 team Kiwi competition" while we try something else.

If you cant find a way of letting it work for Australia, then it's over until that changes. You lose access into one of the largest economies in the Pacific. Tough but those are the breaks.

Noone will avoid a whinge after being shellacked by Kiwi teams where NOTHING has been done to address leveling the playing field.

Brilliant Dru - ie instead of telling us what the problem is how about providing a solution that benefits Australia and the region and not the All Black Development League

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
if you go for fan engagement shorter and sharp is answer!
Yep, without putting a precise number on it, there's a bit to be said for that.

You don't want something like the old bloated Supe that droned on disjointed, flying round the world from February through July with a month off in between.

Shorter, sharper, run and won. Then a fresh start against new opposition playing for champion of champions. It's better for fans, players and tv alike.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Brilliant Dru - ie instead of telling us what the problem is how about providing a solution that benefits Australia and the region and not the All Black Development League

The Kiwi hubris is actually worse than this.

What they are actually saying is give us your best talent to improve our competition, and then for Australia to part fund this competition.

Answer: No

So while the Kiwi pundits are cogitating a reduction in playing quality across the competition, start looking at it with some critical thinking skills. You have five teams. You want eight. Including 2 Australian teams - we offer you $nothing. Nada. And one PI team, who have $nothing. Nada.

To fund this means spreading your 5 team funding across 8 teams. Which in round terms is a 40% drop in funding per team. Then explain how that avoids a drop in playing quality.Throw the entire NZRU future on red 6 of the roulette wheel called PE. And quickly.

Look, I've got no doubt at all that the Kiwi ingenuity exists to make the argument. Just don't expect me to take it seriously.

The utter hubris of New Zealand right now is physically breath taking. It was also entirely expected and predicted - which says a lot more. And it starts with "RA beware".

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Let’s face it most oz sports fans would love it if as part of doing our own thing is if we have say 5 oz teams and maybe get 1 or 2 other NON super rugby nz sides to join (bay of plenty eg) so maybe we should approach them directly as I don’t see why we need to approach NZRU about this as we of course leaving them to focus on their 5 super rugby teams and their own preferred 8 team All Blacks Development League.

Reactions: dru

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Depends how much money is backing their competition - and I think it's quite a lot given it's all the same corporations involved in the current Top League. If there's enough they might have ambitions of making their league the best in the world. I doubt they will be interested in making it a 2nd rate competition that doesn't include their top players.

They've shown interest in being involved in a short Champions league type competition with Australia and NZ, I think that's probably more likely to happen. And I think they'll be added to the Rugby Championship as well.

Japan's new league is looking to raise 50b yen..... around $664m AUD through broadcast rights and sponsorship.

Nice work, if you can get it.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/japan-rugby-domestic-league-tv-rights-sponsorship-plans

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Let’s face it most oz sports fans would love it if as part of doing our own thing is if we have say 5 oz teams and maybe get 1 or 2 other NON super rugby nz sides to join (bay of plenty eg) so maybe we should approach them directly as I don’t see why we need to approach NZRU about this as we of course leaving them to focus on their 5 super rugby teams and their own preferred 8 team All Blacks Development League.

Hey, if you guys want to bring the razzmatazz of live sport to hip young octogenarians of NZ Florida then more power to you.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

:p and of course it will be a ripper, 5 Aus teams, a couple of Mitre 10 cup teams, minus their super players, I really thought Aus super teams were a little better than that, but fair enough if that's all you think they capable of playing against. Sounds like you onto a winner there!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Argentina provide a pretty good case study for why competing against better provincial teams won't improve results nationally. The Pumas lite in the Jaguares made a Super Rugby final and the Pumas themselves arguably went backwards (certainly from a RWC perspective they did). Based on that, I'm not sure why a couple of overpowered Australian sides playing in a TT competition would necessarily improve our rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
:p and of course it will be a ripper, 5 Aus teams, a couple of Mitre 10 cup teams, minus their super players, I really thought Aus super teams were a little better than that, but fair enough if that's all you think they capable of playing against. Sounds like you onto a winner there!

Well would be fun seeing kiwis being the whipping boys at least...lol - maybe supplement those kiwi teams with some quality imports lol

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Part of why most want a domestic structure that rolls into a Champions Cup concept involving Japan.

interesting, i wouldve said its far closer to a 50/50 split on wanting a trans tasman or domestic comp

personally a domestic comp with champions league rates only slightly above the kiwis letting us have two teams in "their comp".

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
interesting, i wouldve said its far closer to a 50/50 split on wanting a trans tasman or domestic comp

personally a domestic comp with champions league rates only slightly above the kiwis letting us have two teams in "their comp".

A 10-12 team TT competition with an equitable share in terms of teams. Running over a 18-22 round home and way season. Then yes. But the models NZ are trying to push then a domestic competition is far and large my preferred pathway.

Status
Not open for further replies.