• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Bringing it back to Tahs. You've got to feel for Holloway, that was the shortest time on field I've seen in awhile. I was keen to get a sense for where he actually was at.

What did people think of Gordon's performance?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Thats exactly what they are highlights, against kids. we've all seen many highlights videos of many kids some we never hear of again, others struggle in open age groups, few ever transfer those "highlights" into anything meaningful. No doubt his size and athleticism are great against 16 year olds, as already mentioned he was not a "standout" for the Oz schoolboys last year.

Really? You get this is a team sport right. Hopefully young Sua'ali'i can play 1-15 by himself if the current rumblings amongst players are anything to go by. There may be significantly more players heading OS. Id imagine working in my firm and the boss rolls in some 16 yo super genius with numbers to do the same job as me while earning 5 times the salary being paid the same as the CEO. Id be chuffed.. Little solace with the thought I get to work with a genius.

1 million on a 16 year old is not much of a gamble? you realise the game is broke, many have been let go and we have no broadcast deal?
Yeah look, I’ve seen him play several times and the lowlights reel would be pretty light on, he doesn’t fuck up much. He’s been playing on the wing though so the challenge for the opposition is to not let the ball get to him, which some of the better opposition managed to do. Genuine schoolboy talent gets recognised fairly early and the ‘freaks’ get thrown into the 1st XV in year 10. To do it in year 9 is next level, not to mention also making GPS 1sts and NSW Schoolboys that same year. The word on the street was that he didn’t make Aus Schoolboys only because the selectors couldn’t bring themselves to pick a year 9 kid. Which I kind of agree with. So they saved that honour for year 10. By all means make a case against pursuing him, but I can assure you it’s not his ability that is the issue.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The kid played basketball for his school when he was in his first year, apparently. Long jump champion, high jump champion. All this adds up, I would have thought. Once in a generation, maybe longer.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bringing it back to Tahs. You've got to feel for Holloway, that was the shortest time on field I've seen in awhile. I was keen to get a sense for where he actually was at.

What did people think of Gordon's performance?
I thought he was decent for a first run out in almost 5 months. He’s always threatening, honestly thought he was the most likely player to make anything happen in a dismal 2nd half for the Tahs.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah look, I’ve seen him play several times and the lowlights reel would be pretty light on, he doesn’t fuck up much. He’s been playing on the wing though so the challenge for the opposition is to not let the ball get to him, which some of the better opposition managed to do. Genuine schoolboy talent gets recognised fairly early and the ‘freaks’ get thrown into the 1st XV in year 10. To do it in year 9 is next level, not to mention also making GPS 1sts and NSW Schoolboys that same year. The word on the street was that he didn’t make Aus Schoolboys only because the selectors couldn’t bring themselves to pick a year 9 kid. Which I kind of agree with. So they saved that honour for year 10. By all means make a case against pursuing him, but I can assure you it’s not his ability that is the issue.

Ive seen him play several times also. Not saying he isn't talented, but he didnt destroy GPS rugby as some have made out or his highlights suggests, he had his moments where he played well. The original argument was that paying ludicrous money to a player untried at that level, given he wasn't dominant at schoolboys or the previous year at youth 7s in the current climate and with the wage structure that exists is ridiculous. We are struggling to retain our players as is. We are weak in a number of positions, by numerous accounts the playing group are understandably irate this has happened while they are on wage cuts and there is a playing contract freeze which could potentially see more walk. none of this adds up to a good short or long term strategy.

The souths money puts him as around the 100th highest paid player in the game. The reported RA offer make him number 2.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought he was decent for a first run out in almost 5 months. He’s always threatening, honestly thought he was the most likely player to make anything happen in a dismal 2nd half for the Tahs.

He has a good running game, ok box kick, decent pass, though it could improve. I'm keen to see him work his way back to a start. Short is ok, but I feel Gordon offers more.

Holloway, I guess we'll have to see in a fortnight (hopefully)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ive seen him play several times also. Not saying he isn't talented, but he didnt destroy GPS rugby as some have made out or his highlights suggests, he had his moments where he played well. The original argument was that paying ludicrous money to a player untried at that level, given he wasn't dominant at schoolboys or the previous year at youth 7s in the current climate and with the wage structure that exists is ridiculous. We are struggling to retain our players as is. We are weak in a number of positions, by numerous accounts the playing group are understandably irate this has happened while they are on wage cuts and there is a playing contract freeze which could potentially see more walk. none of this adds up to a good short or long term strategy.

The souths money puts him as around the 100th highest paid player in the game. The reported RA offer make him number 2.
‘Numerous accounts’ being two Jessica Halloran articles and a quote something along the lines of ‘one player said’ and some comments that looked like they were lifted straight out of the Beetoota Advocate. Numerous accounts also have the RA money reported by the league media as being completely wrong and that it’s the chance to play for his state when he’s still a junior, the Olympics, and a proper World Cup as the main drivers behind his contemplation. Read Michael Hoopers interview.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do we really think that RA offered a total package of 3mil compared to just 1.7? Why not offer 1.8 or 1.9?

Not only do I not believe its 3 million, which the Execs have already denied - it's not all out of 'RA's' Pocket anyway.

- 3 party benefactors contribute - almost like a personal sponsor
- the fighting fund is literally designed for just this purpose - to stop young talent choosing league. Many of our U20 and U18 Stars have been secured with the support of this specific RA fund. Havn't heard anyone complaining as to why RA is kicking in National money for guys like Pollard and Bell. Obviously rumours of the amount are scary but...doubtful.
- The Tahs pay their share and with the names that have gone off their books (Beale) and probably will continue to leave (eg-Hunt) - they will have the Salary Cap space at least to make big contributions.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Simmons is technically signed for next season isn't he? I'd be amazed if RA or Tahs would happily release him prior to the completion of the 2021 Super Rugby season (coz Tahs/Wallabies need him) or the NH season (after which players can be signed to come south and be Wallaby eligible)

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Simmons is technically signed for next season isn't he? I'd be amazed if RA or Tahs would happily release him prior to the completion of the 2021 Super Rugby season (coz Tahs/Wallabies need him) or the NH season (after which players can be signed to come south and be Wallaby eligible)

Quite the contrary - here is a known quantity who is eligible for the Wallabies under the current deal and is taking a spot in a side which could go to a developing lock, a position we definitely need to build competition for spots in.

To me, sounds an absolute win-win

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Quite the contrary - here is a known quantity who is eligible for the Wallabies under the current deal and is taking a spot in a side which could go to a developing lock, a position we definitely need to build competition for spots in.

On the flipside, he's comfortably the Tahs best lock at the moment so we're decreasing the quality of our teams and competition if players in that situation leave.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
On the flipside, he's comfortably the Tahs best lock at the moment so we're decreasing the quality of our teams and competition if players in that situation leave.

Yep, I take that point too. But we don't have a competition locked in currently and the well is fairly dry...

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

What developing locks spot is he taking?

Of the recent Australian U20 teams, which developing locks don't have/had contracts? Some of those with development contracts at each franchise didn't even make the Aus u20 team or only just finished u18.
Reds: Hockings, Blyth, Wood
Brumbies: Swain, Frost, Hooper
Tahs: Douglas, Williams
Rebels: Hosea, Haangana
Force: Pugh, Grant

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I understand Souths have been paying for his schooling, I respect his loyalty.

And after listening to Sam Burgess on House of Rugby, he is in the great hands of Wayne Bennett, good luck to the guy

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I understand Souths have been paying for his schooling, I respect his loyalty.

And after listening to Sam Burgess on House of Rugby, he is in the great hands of Wayne Bennett, good luck to the guy

The offer talked about was fake. His true value would of had him down the pecking order